Captain Munro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
jtwannabewriter.blogspot.com
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I am looking into slowly building a semi-custom 30-06 Safari style rifle as a sort of project (with help from gunsmiths and stock makers of course). By Safari style, I mean a barrel band sling swivel, red recoil pad, express sights, and maybe a "Martini" style stock (I like the look). Sort of like a Ruger Safari Express, but with a more streamlined stock. I am thinking I can acquire a Springfield 03 (or 03A3) action and barrel, from a sporterized rifle on Gunbroker for a decent price. Then I would have a stock made to fit it but do the finish sanding and staining myself.
Is this crazy?
Would there be a better option for something similar that has the features I want?
This would be a slow build project as time and money allow (rather than spending several grand upfront).
Opinions welcome for stock makers, barrel length, gunsmiths, etc.

Not crazy.

I love my sporterized ‘03. It’s very accurate, but there are things to make it better depending on your budget and tastes. I have considered refinishing mine to a oil rubbed finish, but otherwise I like mine the way it is. Just be aware that they can be a bear to scope, and the weird 2 stage military trigger isn’t for everyone

I recommend a 22-24” barrel.

197B8033-C921-42AE-AE3C-42538E7FDE3A.jpeg

If you're set on that action, go for it but by the time you tally up all the extras needed to make it a viable safari rifle, you could have bought a brand new push feed with the same characteristics, better lock time and trigger..

This is what I called my African battery, built in the 1960's, when Africa was only a gleam in my eye, and service in the Marine Corps was more pressing:
Springfield African Battery 004 (2).jpg
Springfield African Battery 010 (2).jpg
Springfield African Battery 020 (2).jpg

From top to bottom, they are caliber .458 WM, .375 Chatfield-Taylor (.375/.338 WM) and 7mm Remington Magnum. Metal work by the late Harry Creighton, stocks by the late Hal Hartley. The stocks are a bit old fashioned, especially in the length of the forearms, and I never took them to Africa, relying instead on my wildcat .505 SRE, my Krieghoff "Teck" double rifle in calibers .458 WM and .375 H&H and my pre-War Winchester Model 70 in .300 H&H.

The Springfields are now in other hands, where I hope they are appreciated. All the Springfield actions were made with the double heat treatment process, which followed the case hardened actions and preceded the nickel steel actions. I have total confidence in their strength.

This is what I called my African battery, built in the 1960's, when Africa was only a gleam in my eye, and service in the Marine Corps was more pressing:
View attachment 508338View attachment 508340View attachment 508341
From top to bottom, they are caliber .458 WM, .375 Chatfield-Taylor (.375/.338 WM) and 7mm Remington Magnum. Metal work by the late Harry Creighton, stocks by the late Hal Hartley. The stocks are a bit old fashioned, especially in the length of the forearms, and I never took them to Africa, relying instead on my wildcat .505 SRE, my Krieghoff "Teck" double rifle in calibers .458 WM and .375 H&H and my pre-War Winchester Model 70 in .300 H&H.

The Springfields are now in other hands, where I hope they are appreciated. All the Springfield actions were made with the double heat treatment process, which followed the case hardened actions and preceded the nickel steel actions. I have total confidence in their strength.
Great suite of rifles! The old Griffin & Howe side mounts were not the most elegant solution, but if installed correctly, worked perfectly and would keep on working a lot longer than the owner. My WR .318 has one that was installed in the thirties. I had G&H change it to 1" rings from the original 7/8" set up (30's would not fit). Absolutely dependable and a great solution for an '03 (G&H will still install a set). However, they are expensive.

318 Westley Richards Takedown Rifle

Well, this is a cowinkidink. I've just been getting my Springfield 1903 Mark I ready for a hunt tomorrow. Maybe I'll run into the big boy. ;)
4FF9AC0D-499C-45CF-80D3-BB2545BC15C3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you have a cool project in mind.

I would at least detectable scope it, over iron sights, so that you would have a ethical shot on that 300 yard impala.

Now I didn’t say this was a good deal, but it embodies the feel you’re going after I believe.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 10.43.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 10.43.04 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 10.43.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 10.43.06 AM.png
    385.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 10.43.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 10.43.07 AM.png
    3 MB · Views: 26

Now I didn’t say this was a good deal, but it embodies the feel you’re going after I believe.
That is pretty much it! I just read an article about Griffin and Howe in the Gun Digest and it called to me.

Here’s another one that’ll make your heart skip a beat

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 10.43.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 10.43.40 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 10.43.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 10.43.42 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 31
Any thought given to a Rigby Highland Stalker? Seems to have everything on the list, short of the Springfield action you requested. ;)
1672445650132.png

The highland stalker is the cheapest way there with production guns. G&H sporters start at $15k now day (new).
PS if you have the itch for one of these, don’t read “the green hills of Africa”. Ask me how I know.

Any thought given to a Rigby Highland Stalker? Seems to have everything on the list, short of the Springfield action you requested. ;)
View attachment 508371
Lots of thoughts! More like dreams...begging...searching for a magic lamp with a genie to grant me 3 wishes...I had a nice chat with Rigbys engraver at DSC last year, maybe he could hook me up with the friends and family discount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gwendolyn7

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.