USA: Think I'll Just Call This One Non-typical!

jduckhunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
DU, JSA, NAHC( Life member), NRA (Life member)
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, USA (PA ,WY,TX,MT,AK,NJ,DE,VA,WV,SD,MA,NC,FL,MD,CA) Canada (QC,NF,ON,NT,NWT,BC), New Zealand
My 2022 PA deer season started off well enough with me in my stand early on opening day, but soon went downhill fast. After day one I came down with this nasty virus that has been going around, it might have come from babysitting grandchildren that were too sick to go to school the week before. It seems like the old saying that no good deed goes unpunished came true and bit me in the butt. Any way I got really sick and finally on the following Friday I felt well enough to venture back up into my stand at about 4:00 in the afternoon. There were deer running around all over the place, the young bucks in the area were still feeling pretty spry and the does were getting a good workout trying to avoid them. After about 20 minutes in the stand a doe came running down the hill and decided to hide in the brush right across the creek from me. And it didn't take but a minute or two for a pair of bucks to come looking for her, slowly sneaking downhill hiding behind one big tree after the other seeming to be very careful to keep their vital areas behind cover. At about 75 yards from me the first buck ran out of cover and stepped out facing me head on. I had turned my scope up to 9 power when this all started so that I could count points quickly and confirm the required 3 points on one side, having left the house in a hurry and forgetting my binos. 3 points were quickly counted and on 9 power his chest appeared huge so I settled the crosshairs on the center of his chest and squeezed the trigger. I can't say that the gun went bang because a suppressed, bolt action, 300 BLK shooting sub-sonic loads doesn't go bang, it makes a weird noise closer to a pellet gun then a high-power rifle. But whatever noise it made the buck made a leap and ran maybe 30 yards downhill, collapsed and that was that. The other buck and doe seemed perplexed at what had just happened and after standing around for a few seconds melted back in the cedars. After field dressing the buck, I soon found out that I was not as healthy as I thought I was, after dragging him a few yards toward home I made a decision to leave him there and come back with the SxS. I got him hung up in the garage and spent the next day back in bed (this virus is no joke) I'm hoping to get him cut up later today.
PA20224.jpg
PA20221.jpg

Congratulations jduckhunter. Nice buck with an unusual rack!

Maybe a fallow in his ancestry :ROFLMAO: that’s super cool-trying to decide if it were mine if I would rather have a euro mount or a shoulder mount. . . Congratulations on a very Cool buck

Leaning toward a Euro mount

Reactions: WAB
It would make a super cool euro mount. You’d really have folks guessing what kind of deer it is.

Ha! I'm still trying to figure out what kind of deer it is.

Well done Jeff, hope youre feeling better.

That is a very unusual looking deer! Good for you!

Cool deer. Were you hunting near Three Mile Island? :ROFLMAO:
Actually, not that far away. Lived in the fallout zone most of my life. Kind of used to weird stuff.

Well done Jeff, hope youre feeling better.
Thanks Tom, this crap just won't let up. Finished quarter that deer and I need a nap and some cough syrup. Or maybe something a bit stronger.

That would make a hell of a Jackalope!

Get better soon.
Good on you for getting it done while fighting the virus off.
Congrats.

That’s a cool buck. I had this palmated buck on camera last fall and into early spring, but didn’t see this year in NW PA.
01CC5E62-31F8-47EA-BD8B-F7B74FD22870.jpeg
FE08614B-E529-45A9-A697-4778E4765476.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg