USA: Rockin-G-Ranch Three Ram Hunt

Congrats to you both - sounds like it was a heck of a trip. And she sounds like she's hooked!!

Well done! My daughters use my Rem 700 7/08. I've worked up a few different loads. I've tried the 110gr TTSX which has worked well on 3 red deer, but accuracy isn't amazing. I'm now trying the 120gr Nosler BT. My daughter shot a nice red deer spiker a week ago with it. It is actually a tougher bullet than the 140gr NBT.
Down here in NZ we are lucky to be able to use suppressors, which make a big difference with the felt recoil.

Great Smile on that Young Lady

Jeff, I agree 100%. I’ve taken many adult guys hunting in Colorado and even if you get them into elk, they only have a brief instant to react and make the shot. Most never went again because it was too much work.
My next plan is for antelope probably in Wyoming. At least you get to see a lot of animals whether or not a shot is made.

On a side note, you live in a beautiful location in Salmon, ID!
Yes Salmon is a paradise, unfortunately the hunting has went down hill dramatically in the last 10-15 years!

Congrats on the fine trophies. I am glad your granddaughter is liking the hunts.

Congrats on the trophies. Hunting with my late grandfather are some of my most cherished memories of him, as I’m sure they will be hers of you.

Congrats to you and your granddaughter!! Thanks for sharing!

Great picture with the Merino down. Big smile and cute rosy red cheeks, and btw Phil your granddaughter looks pretty happy to. :LOL:

Well guys Gizmo has come through again with some outstanding taxidermy! Check these out!
First the nasty Merino which we decided was so dirty and ugly, but with fine horns we would just have it euro mounted.
40B3C161-41A5-432D-817E-264D611EC591.jpeg

Then came the granddaughter’s Corsican which because it’s coloration was so nice we decided to have a shoulder mount done which I believe is just outstanding!
2AB89334-CF43-4C8E-963A-3167CD4C6B13.jpeg
692C1EB8-C677-4EC4-BEA9-B33DF2F01864.jpeg

And finally the Texas Dall! Another excellent mount!
E975FC2F-C9C9-4FD7-9C64-1B725E1E7F15.jpeg

Needless to say, we are quite happy and will be excited to get them delivered and up in My Little Space!

Last edited:
Mounts look great!! I know you're excited to get them back!

Ridgewalker, I can almost see the smile on your face when the granddaughter points to the Corsican and says "I shot that one."

Ridgewalker, I can almost see the smile on your face when the granddaughter points to the Corsican and says "I shot that one."
Art, you are 100% correct! I smile quite often just remembering the hunt with her! Excellent memories!

Well Grampa, better start booking an Africa trip

Well Grampa, better start booking an Africa trip
Booked for Namibia and RSA in July and August! Only hope this virus dies in time.

Great report,
And congratulations to your granddaughter.
Hoping to get my oldest grandson in his first hunt the end of this year.
My daughter herself is a hunting machine.

@Ridgewalker - though my daughter is a bit older than your g-daughter, I started her a couple years ago with Hornady 139 gr white tail in 7-08. Chronied them at an honest 2900 fps. She had no trouble at all shooting them accurately.

Matter of fact, she complained more about the recoil of my 6.5x55 shooting 143 gr at 2500 than she did about the 139 gr out of her 7-08. Didn't stop her from emptying my entire MGM50 box of ammo with it, though. ;)

The best part of it was I was able to start teaching her some Kentucky windage. She was wearing out the 6" gong at 100, so I had her move to the 200 yard gong. Wore that one out, so I had her move to the 300 yard gong. She was hitting about 50% at 300 with estimated holdover. Next time I take her out, I'll teach her about the the mildots in that scope. Bet she doesn't miss at 300 any more after that.

The best part of it was I was able to start teaching her some Kentucky windage. She was wearing out the 6" gong at 100, so I had her move to the 200 yard gong. Wore that one out, so I had her move to the 300 yard gong. She was hitting about 50% at 300 with estimated holdover. Next time I take her out, I'll teach her about the the mildots in that scope. Bet she doesn't miss at 300 any more after that.
If she shoots that well soon she'll be teaching you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!