Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC
Hunted
Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
Sitting at home this beautiful sunny Saturday evening pondering what a royal kick in the teeth it is that our (everyones) Africa trip plans have been impacted by the virus. I decided to point the truck North for a few mile drive and see how the Gobblers are acting.
Making the walk in I heard some hen clucking and that's always a promising sign in my eyes. So I picked a nice thick hickory tree to call my backrest for the next few hours and after placing 1 Avian hen decoy out about 10 yards I began to do some soft yelps mixed with a few purrs tossed on top with my slate.
Within 5 minutes a hen appeared to my left about 40 yards out. Always having a diaphragm call in one's mouth when in the woods is highly recommended as you have no time to dig one out when a bird pops up out of nowhere.
Really trying to bring the hen closer in hopes she had a boyfriend in tow, I kept to soft clucks and purrs. Moments later I see a fan emerging from the woods, then another.
All calling is halted as I watch the hen and her attitude to the gobblers and my decoy.
Now the hen is 5 yards above my decoy and still walking on by. Both toms are in full strut 30 yards out and coming in on a string.
The younger of the 2 comes up behind the decoy and that's all the big boy can handle as he wasn't about to loose a girlfriend to the youngster.
With Mr Boss Gobbler teaching the youngster a lesson of pecking order I decided I should probably get to it.
3 or 4 loud clucks brought him to quick attention with his head up high.
12ga barked and a dead thunder chicken lay on his back.
Sure isn't Africa but damn if this whole virus ordeal doesn't remind us of the little things we may take for granted. Get out and find your Plan B, C or D...whatever it takes!

Screenshot_20200418-181033.png
Screenshot_20200418-181041.png

Sure isn't Africa but damn if this whole virus ordeal doesn't remind us of the little things we may take for granted. Get out and find your Plan B, C or D...whatever it takes!
Couldn't agree more! We recently learned of a hunting ranch in Texas that sits on nearly 20,000 acres and is pretty amazing. I know, it's not real hunting, but it's an option during these times. If you're interested, the link to the blog is below. And congrats on the turkey!

https://animalartistry.com/blog/family-hunting-ranch.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpathianHunters

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!