USA: Catahoula Lake Louisiana

RBurg44

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
This years trip we were after some pintails and shovelers for our two main goals, and secondly ringnecks and canvasbacks . We hunted with full strap and stringer out of jonesville. We did their all inclusive package; lodging and food. After a small mix up with sleeping arrangements they fixed it and made it right. We set it up to split up in groups of three each day as we had six total. Food was great throughout the week. It was an extremely warm year this year as they were still shooting alot of teal still in January which is unheard of. Cans hadnt really showed up yet same goes for the shovelers. Which along with pintails should be staple at this point.
C7E9AAB8-3256-4115-B76F-22041B80D57C.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 1:

First day out we get lucky enough theres an extra guide so we split into three groups of two. 2 of 3 blinds did pretty well; 3rd blind was able to knock out some nice blue wing and green wings though. Species taken other two blinds was blue wing teal, green wing teal, ringneck, pintail, shoveler, ruddy, mallard, canvasback and coot.
D71C6E9B-CB61-4A6E-8B00-CB30FBE6881B.jpeg
0FF34BA7-3279-4D7C-A2EB-4B312511BD56.jpeg

Day 2:

Night before we discuss plans itll be two groups of three. Well unfortunately wake up in morning before we depart and apparently they forgotten about a day group that came in and took our guide to take them out. So now all six us in one blind. Its very windy out today. Birds moving but they just cant do it right. We managed 6 birds today and called it. If it were just 3 of us it wouldnt of been so bad but very few opportunities today for 6 guys.

7D54A66C-1518-4802-8509-DC48C141C3A5.jpeg

Day 3:

Split up into groups of 3 today back out on the lake. We put some hours in today one blind stayed till sunset our blind called it like 3pm. Wasnt a hateful day was hoping for a little more but my blind made a few bad shots could of added couple more but really the weather just aint what it needs to be. Stale birds( birds that been here for a month) are well educated and no push of new birds jist didnt help us. Other blind all got them some nice mounter drake blue wings atleast.

01628D4A-2511-4271-8FA6-6107E7FEF6DB.jpeg
13D06B48-F33F-477F-9308-C278C36925F9.png

Day 4:

Last day out. They decide to take us off the big lake and hit one of the farms they have. Split into 2 groups. 1 group after ducks other group is going for specks and snows. Well today was just terrible. Farm may have produced earlier in week but not today. Our blind ended with just seeing two birds total luckily we dropped both and other group had alot of birds flying but felt like they were just running traffic on them. They dropped one speck 3 ross’s and a snow.

86473C24-0627-486A-911D-78A035AD1B8A.jpeg
604EBEFA-B314-46EC-8F70-4BFD031BFC69.jpeg

Recap:

Overall i think we would rebook this trip. On a normal cold winter i do believe it was the right place to be. Lodging was right what we wanted after the mix up. Im hoping it was and honest mistake on the 2nd day we had to all hunt together. The lake is changing to about half going private so that should help with hunting pressure. Was unfortunate cans werent there to hunt the flooded cypress brakes that would of been cool and a manor factor on why we choice them. All the guides we had we really enjoyed the blind with for sure. Food was great aswell. Sometimes maybe just a bigger portions but not bad. It is a big outfit though the pump the groups through each day no question there. Any questions feel free to ask.

That's a shame about the weather.

I've killed a bunch of woodies up in that neck of the woods, too. College friend of mine lived about 10 miles west of there in Dry Prong. That takes me back - probably been 35 years since I did any bird hunting in that part of the world.

That's a funny part of Louisiana. Where you were is about as redneck as it gets. Just 20 miles south in Marksville and Mansura, the accents are so Cajun you can barely understand what they're saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Al Gamecock

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you