USA: Brown Bears On AK Peninsula

Congrats! The hides look beautiful on the brown bears.

Brent............fantastic beasts
Scott..............where to find them
thanks for the post...................love the snowcapped mtns, big square headed bears.............congrats to all.............FWB
FWB,
Hunting on Alaska Peninsula National Wildlife Refuge. Private message me for more details. Thanks.

What was the bow and arrow combo that was being used for this hunt? Would love to give this a go some year.
Hoyt Matrix at 73 pounds. 400 grain Grizzly Stick tapered arrow. 150 grain Grizzly Stick right hand single bevel 2 blade broadhead. I like heavy arrows and 2 blade broadheads for more penetration. Also use this on elk and deer. Devestating penetration. I don’t like expanding broadheads on anything larger than deer. Not enough penetration. Have seen too many elk lost to expanding broadheads like Rage. Great marketing but not performance on bigger game.

Scott,I have no words for these bears.
Phantastic pictures (y)(y)

Hey, can the meat from such an animal be edible ?...……..and how would a person from southern California bring it home ?........... How much would it cost for a spring 2019 hunt ?......…....Michael T.

Hey guys I just returned from guiding on the Alaskan Peninsula for Mel Gillis on his huge Alaska Peninsula National Wildlife Refuge area. Both my hunters got great bears. On day three, Travis took a 10’2” bear with a 28 11/16” skull (28” is the B&C All-Time Record Book minimum). This bear came to 15 yards but it was too thick for a bow shot so Travis used my extra rifle (a custom .338 Win Mag) while I backed him up with my .458 Lott.

My second hunter, Brad, took a great 9’9” bear with a 26 4/8” skull (26” is the B&C Awards Book minimum) on day 8 after a couple failed stalks on big bears earlier in the hunt. We generally don’t shoot bears under 9 foot.

On our most active day, we spotted 19 different bears on Travis’ hunt and 15 different bears on Brad’s hunt. We fly out of the Sandy River Lodge to spike camp cabins and tents via Super Cub aircraft.

If anyone is interested in the spring of 2020, let me know. The AK Peninsula is open to bear hunting on the even year springs and odd year falls.

View attachment 230986

Are you guys for real....WOW...This is a trip of a lifetime I have never even dreamed of......P.M. ME Please

Hey, can the meat from such an animal be edible ?...……..and how would a person from southern California bring it home ?........... How much would it cost for a spring 2019 hunt ?......…....Michael T.
Unfortunately, the meat from coastal brown bears is not edible due to the high concentration of fish in their diet.

Are you guys for real....WOW...This is a trip of a lifetime I have never even dreamed of......P.M. ME Please
PM sent. Thanks.

M
Magnificent!
Any thoughts on taxidermy? I'd do a full rug in a heartbeat. :cool:
Most guys mount them full-body but rugs are also nice.

M

Most guys mount them full-body but rugs are also nice.
Most people I know in Alaska who hunt bear have done a rug. I know of one full mount, and from what I gather it is tough to move and house.

Hoyt Matrix at 73 pounds. 400 grain Grizzly Stick tapered arrow. 150 grain Grizzly Stick right hand single bevel 2 blade broadhead. I like heavy arrows and 2 blade broadheads for more penetration. Also use this on elk and deer. Devestating penetration. I don’t like expanding broadheads on anything larger than deer. Not enough penetration. Have seen too many elk lost to expanding broadheads like Rage. Great marketing but not performance on bigger game.

Similar set up on my bow, yet it’s only had shots on an impala and whitetail deer. Would love to get a brown bear soon!
Unsuccessful this past year with Black Bear here in Arkansas.

Similar set up on my bow, yet it’s only had shots on an impala and whitetail deer. Would love to get a brown bear soon!
Unsuccessful this past year with Black Bear here in Arkansas.
When you are ready to go, let me know!

those are amazing!

Here are some updates and pictures. This one was a bit over 10’ in 2021.
892AB36E-11CB-4FA8-AAFD-DD9F1AF19CE8.jpeg

This one 10’ plus from 2022. Hide weighed 122 pounds for an estimated live weight of about 1220 pounds!
C7B58791-389B-4339-B25F-8DC0738AAB4E.jpeg

Wow! Very nice looking bears. You mentioned in a post from a few years ago you were hunting the Alaska Peninsula National Wildlife Refuge area. Still hunting the same area? Is this just north of Perryville? Pretty close to the area Butch King hunts with Wildman Lake, where I hunted in 2014. Very remote.

Very nice Scott. The peninsula is a cool area.

Wow! Very nice looking bears. You mentioned in a post from a few years ago you were hunting the Alaska Peninsula National Wildlife Refuge area. Still hunting the same area? Is this just north of Perryville? Pretty close to the area Butch King hunts with Wildman Lake, where I hunted in 2014. Very remote.
PM sent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kalaharikind

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!