US Customs office requiring EEI and ITN

@AfricaHunting.com, this seems like a thread worthy of a sticky that can be updated in the future if needed. This is a big deal and has added additional unnecessary stress to the traveling hunter.

Chip Roy does care about guns. If he loses you will be stuck with Wendy, another gun hater.

You must have went to Dallas, as I believe they are the only ones enforcing this.

My understanding was that CBP was going to make the entry into the AES system.
DFW was where the CBP agent met me at the gate and asked for my 4457 last August 2019. I told him there was no functioning AES system but I’d be glad for him to do what he was told to do. He was well meaning and very nice about all of it but of course misinformed.
Everyone needs to go vote republican or else this stuff will get far worse.

This was at the Austin Bergstrom International Airport in Austin Texas. The Custom’s agent was rather intransient about it - these are the “new” regulations and that’s it. They handed us a printed flier, with some garble goo references to different parts of the Federal Registry, with a URL that didn’t work. At first, they refused to complete our 4457 - after I showed them the link on their flier was broken, they agreed to sign the 4457, but gave us additional print outs and said this ACESDirect/EIN/EEI/ITN was mandatory, and upon returning to the airport to travel, they wouldn’t let us leave without it, and they would confiscate the firearms and fine us if we tried.
I’ve recently contacted my Senators and Congressman - I’ll let all know how that proceeds.
While I think this has been “solved” there seems to be a recent resurgence -

government dipshits they need to get some decent help - we pay then we get screwed

DFW was where the CBP agent met me at the gate and asked for my 4457 last August 2019. I told him there was no functioning AES system but I’d be glad for him to do what he was told to do. He was well meaning and very nice about all of it but of course misinformed.
Everyone needs to go vote republican or else this stuff will get far worse.
Aint that the truth!

Although beware that on the other end of the pipeline, African countries typically, and South Africa for sure, mandate the use of a non-expired 4457, which means that we need to get a new one every 3 years or so (the current one expires on 9/30/2022...

View attachment 372287
Actually they want the signature date to be from the current year.

Actually they want the signature date to be from the current year.
I have heard this from Gracy Travel but can find nothing on the CBP or ICE websites about the signature being from the current year. If the idea is to prove the firearm was yours before leaving the USA with it, what difference does it make if signed in 2021 or 2022?

I found this on the ICE website and it says NOTHING about a current year signature. https://www.ice.gov/investigations/astp/faq

"The temporary export of firearms are governed by the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) administered by the BIS. When it comes to the temporary export of firearms in checked luggage aboard commercial aircraft, travelers must file a CBP form 4457; filing in the AES is no longer required, under license exception Baggage (BAG) (15 CFR 740.14). Pursuant to the BAG exemption, a traveler can take up to 1,000 rounds of ammunition out of the United States without having to file in AES, and pursuant to law, DHS is authorized to inspect all outbound and inbound luggage and passengers. Travelers are responsible for complying with firearm import laws of the country to which they are travelling."

For importation in to RSA, the 4457 form needs to have a date in the future at the top right corner of the form. Cut and pasted the following from a form I got a month ago. My permits have been issued for this month's hunt in RSA. Other countries, I have no knowledge of their import requirements.

OMB Control Number: 1651-0010 Expiration Date: 09/30/2022

Edit: Looked at some old 4457 forms that I signed in one year and went to RSA the next year. No issues.
WAG, it depends on who one gets to obtain the permits. Wait until you get there and you may have an issue. Have witnessed that scenario a couple times at the SAPS at Tambo.

Last edited:
I have heard this from Gracy Travel but can find nothing on the CBP or ICE websites about the signature being from the current year. If the idea is to prove the firearm was yours before leaving the USA with it, what difference does it make if signed in 2021 or 2022?

I found this on the ICE website and it says NOTHING about a current year signature. https://www.ice.gov/investigations/astp/faq

"The temporary export of firearms are governed by the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) administered by the BIS. When it comes to the temporary export of firearms in checked luggage aboard commercial aircraft, travelers must file a CBP form 4457; filing in the AES is no longer required, under license exception Baggage (BAG) (15 CFR 740.14). Pursuant to the BAG exemption, a traveler can take up to 1,000 rounds of ammunition out of the United States without having to file in AES, and pursuant to law, DHS is authorized to inspect all outbound and inbound luggage and passengers. Travelers are responsible for complying with firearm import laws of the country to which they are travelling."
It is RSA that wants it not the US

Does Namibia require the 4457 be signed in the current year.

Ye
For importation in to RSA, the 4457 form needs to have a date in the future at the top right corner of the form. Cut and pasted the following from a form I got a month ago. My permits have been issued for this month's hunt in RSA. Other countries, I have no knowledge of their import requirements.

OMB Control Number: 1651-0010 Expiration Date: 09/30/2022

Edit: Looked at some old 4457 forms that I signed in one year and went to RSA the next year. No issues.
WAG, it depends on who one gets to obtain the permits. Wait until you get there and you may have an issue. Have witnessed that scenario a couple times at the SAPS at Tambo.
Yes, I have the form with the 09/30/2022 date in the top right hand corner but my forms were signed in 2021.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg