AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
Lifetime NRA member, Lifetime SCI Member
I have a pair of older Cabelas Dry plus upland pants which feature a soft/smooth liner. Since JM has taken over, obviously the quality has diminished and the product is no longer offered.

Does anyone have a recommendation on similar pants with a liner or smooth interior?

I wear comfortable pants by KUHL and layer with waxed canvas chaps (Filson) if needed. I also keep Turtleskin snake gaiters handy. Much depends on Where and Weather.

I’m just trying to find something hat doesn’t rub the wrong areas and is comfortable all day.

Try wranglers. They make a great briar pant that is very comfortable. I’ve gone through most of the high dollar ones and ended up there.

Try wranglers. They make a great briar pant that is very comfortable. I’ve gone through most of the high dollar ones and ended up there.
Are they soft in the crotch/legs?

Very, I get the dark brown with the tan briar facing material. I’ve worn out at least three pairs over the years. Tougher than anything else I have used including Filson double tin.

Good to know. I was Looking at the Orvis and Filson

Orvis makes a good pant but they do not fit me as well.

I wonder if the Orvis store at the summit has upland pants…

I cant find the brown wranglers. Only blue

These are similar to the Wrangler cordura faced pants... which I cannot find for sale except on eBay...
Dan's Uplamd Pants
I have never used them, so I can't comment.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 9.17.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 9.17.11 AM.png
    960.6 KB · Views: 57
Here ya go:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 9.17.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 9.17.45 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
The blue ones are just as good I just prefer the brown.

53433_600x400.jpg

Thee bird hunters wearing Cabelas field pants with nylon leg fronts to foil the thorns .
I wore these in RSA with good results and they are my usual wear for upland hunting in Texas because of all the thorny plants.
I also have the Wranglers Jeans based pants, but they are tighter and less roomy.
PS, that was one of many good days in the field with my DWWC buddies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d recommend the First Lite Sawbuck brush pant. They’re soft, comfortable and stretch. They took a beating in the South African bush unfazed.
Image1637881866.505640.jpg

Mountain khaki brush pants are the best in my opinion

I have been using Filson chaps for decades and love them. Wear any pants you want, throw them on and go!

I like the First Lite Sawbuck brush pant too. Recently tried quite a few. This was the best combination of a comfortable, flexible pant, with good briar protection. I needed something that would stand up to some real trans pecos thorns and brush - seems to work well.

View attachment 438755
Thee bird hunters wearing Cabelas field pants with nylon leg fronts to foil the thorns .
I wore these in RSA with good results and they are my usual wear for upland hunting in Texas because of all the thorny plants.
I also have the Wranglers Jeans based pants, but they are tighter and less roomy.
PS, that was one of many good days in the field with my DWWC buddies.
I wish cabelas still offered the pants I have… the new ones do not have a soft liner and are much thinner.

Last edited by a moderator:
After our first trip to Africa battling the thorns and briars in the bush, my wife and I each bought a pair of Filson Double Hunting Pants. Although I love the pants, IMO they are too hot for use hunting in Africa even during the coldest months. I wear these pants with an thermal underlayer to keep the cold waxed canvas off my skin. The pants are now worn working around the house in the colder months, however if I were to go upland bird hunting in Oct/Nov/Dec they would be in my bag. They certainly get some use, but it wasn't as I had intended.

If I were looking for brush pants from Filson to wear in Africa, the Shelter Brush Pant is about as heavy as I'd go. Truthfully, regular outdoor pants like the Carhart B11, Duluth Firehose or Filson Dry Tin Cloth will get the job done in short order and can still be worn on the plane without looking silly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg