Upland pants

Andrew Short

AH legend
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
2,013
Reaction score
3,021
Location
Alabama
Media
20
Hunting reports
Africa
4
USA/Canada
1
Mex/S.Amer
1
Member of
Lifetime NRA member, Lifetime SCI Member
Hunted
Namibia
I have a pair of older Cabelas Dry plus upland pants which feature a soft/smooth liner. Since JM has taken over, obviously the quality has diminished and the product is no longer offered.

Does anyone have a recommendation on similar pants with a liner or smooth interior?
 
I wear comfortable pants by KUHL and layer with waxed canvas chaps (Filson) if needed. I also keep Turtleskin snake gaiters handy. Much depends on Where and Weather.
 
I’m just trying to find something hat doesn’t rub the wrong areas and is comfortable all day.
 
Try wranglers. They make a great briar pant that is very comfortable. I’ve gone through most of the high dollar ones and ended up there.
 
Try wranglers. They make a great briar pant that is very comfortable. I’ve gone through most of the high dollar ones and ended up there.
Are they soft in the crotch/legs?
 
Very, I get the dark brown with the tan briar facing material. I’ve worn out at least three pairs over the years. Tougher than anything else I have used including Filson double tin.
 
Good to know. I was Looking at the Orvis and Filson
 
Orvis makes a good pant but they do not fit me as well.
 
I wonder if the Orvis store at the summit has upland pants…

I cant find the brown wranglers. Only blue
 
These are similar to the Wrangler cordura faced pants... which I cannot find for sale except on eBay...
Dan's Uplamd Pants
I have never used them, so I can't comment.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 9.17.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 9.17.11 AM.png
    960.6 KB · Views: 165
Here ya go:

 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 9.17.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 9.17.45 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 169
The blue ones are just as good I just prefer the brown.
 
53433_600x400.jpg

Thee bird hunters wearing Cabelas field pants with nylon leg fronts to foil the thorns .
I wore these in RSA with good results and they are my usual wear for upland hunting in Texas because of all the thorny plants.
I also have the Wranglers Jeans based pants, but they are tighter and less roomy.
PS, that was one of many good days in the field with my DWWC buddies.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I’d recommend the First Lite Sawbuck brush pant. They’re soft, comfortable and stretch. They took a beating in the South African bush unfazed.
Image1637881866.505640.jpg
 
I have been using Filson chaps for decades and love them. Wear any pants you want, throw them on and go!
 
I like the First Lite Sawbuck brush pant too. Recently tried quite a few. This was the best combination of a comfortable, flexible pant, with good briar protection. I needed something that would stand up to some real trans pecos thorns and brush - seems to work well.
 
View attachment 438755
Thee bird hunters wearing Cabelas field pants with nylon leg fronts to foil the thorns .
I wore these in RSA with good results and they are my usual wear for upland hunting in Texas because of all the thorny plants.
I also have the Wranglers Jeans based pants, but they are tighter and less roomy.
PS, that was one of many good days in the field with my DWWC buddies.
I wish cabelas still offered the pants I have… the new ones do not have a soft liner and are much thinner.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
After our first trip to Africa battling the thorns and briars in the bush, my wife and I each bought a pair of Filson Double Hunting Pants. Although I love the pants, IMO they are too hot for use hunting in Africa even during the coldest months. I wear these pants with an thermal underlayer to keep the cold waxed canvas off my skin. The pants are now worn working around the house in the colder months, however if I were to go upland bird hunting in Oct/Nov/Dec they would be in my bag. They certainly get some use, but it wasn't as I had intended.

If I were looking for brush pants from Filson to wear in Africa, the Shelter Brush Pant is about as heavy as I'd go. Truthfully, regular outdoor pants like the Carhart B11, Duluth Firehose or Filson Dry Tin Cloth will get the job done in short order and can still be worn on the plane without looking silly.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,388
Messages
1,574,844
Members
170,180
Latest member
gavinbenedict
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top