Upgrade spotting scope

Take one of these out and look through it and anything else you're considering. You might be surprised. I've used one for the last 5 years after I was told the same thing as tried it.

meopta_598880_meopro_20_60x80_hd_spotting_1050817.jpg
Meopta Meopro HD 80

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 8.05.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 8.05.22 AM.png
    667.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 8.05.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 8.05.23 AM.png
    716.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 8.05.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 8.05.24 AM.png
    521.7 KB · Views: 44
Interesting, have you used them?
I looked at them at DSC and was impressed. Unfortunately the action I was getting built for my 6mm Dasher is delayed so no prairie dogs for me this year. I will most likely buy it next year.

I've used a straight eyepiece for about 20 years including mountain hunting. I tried an angled eyepiece a couple years ago and gave it my best effort. In the end, I hated it and went back to the straight. Definitely a matter of personal preference - hopefully you can try each out before you drop your money.

Thinking of doing a upgrade on my spotting scope. What are you guys using? Pros and cons?
Go to Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabelas, or Scheels and tie up one of their salesmen for awhile. Take every option you are considering outside with a tripod and pick a specific spot on whichever mountain is closest. Ideally you do this late afternoon and/or with cloud cover.
When I did this at Sportsmans in Colorado Springs, they were more than happy to spend the time. At the end of the day, I took home a Nikon Prostaff 5 20-60x80mm. The Swaro 80mm was better, but weighed another 1.5 pounds. The 60mm Swaro was equal in clarity and weight, but was double the price. My weight limit was self-imposed as 3# or less. I was very pleased with it on my bighorn hunt that fall.
I will say, I will probably go with a 60mm if I ever replace it. The 80mm is longer and bulkier to pack. With improvements in lenses these days, the Swaro 60mm would have to prove itself again against the Nikon and others, and probably need to be on another half price sale to convince me to drop the bucks on it. But it would start in the front for my consideration after my last sidewalk session.

I use Swarovski ATX. This scope is modular meaning you can use different size oculars with the same eyepiece. And the eyepiece itself can be had in angled (ATX) or straight (STX) version. I use the huge 115mm ocular for when weight is not a concern. It’s super bright and clear. And for when I have to carry it arround I mount the lightweight 60mm objective instead. I would definitely give KOWA a look too. Fantastic optics and their full fluoride lens range is hard to beat. They have a pretty good range too from smal, lightweight pieces to large 90mm ones.

I've used a straight eyepiece for about 20 years including mountain hunting. I tried an angled eyepiece a couple years ago and gave it my best effort. In the end, I hated it and went back to the straight. Definitely a matter of personal preference - hopefully you can try each out before you drop your money.
I agree l prefer the straight most of the time also
Thanks for the info

Agree the Swarovski is nice. The ones l have seen are just to big and heavy to pack around
Thanks for the info
The new compact Swaros would be your best bet. I have a cheaper Leupold at my range and then the full size Swaros for mountain hunting. I am always tempted by what's new so I may be shopping at SCI!

Go to Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabelas, or Scheels and tie up one of their salesmen for awhile. Take every option you are considering outside with a tripod and pick a specific spot on whichever mountain is closest. Ideally you do this late afternoon and/or with cloud cover.
When I did this at Sportsmans in Colorado Springs, they were more than happy to spend the time. At the end of the day, I took home a Nikon Prostaff 5 20-60x80mm. The Swaro 80mm was better, but weighed another 1.5 pounds. The 60mm Swaro was equal in clarity and weight, but was double the price. My weight limit was self-imposed as 3# or less. I was very pleased with it on my bighorn hunt that fall.
I will say, I will probably go with a 60mm if I ever replace it. The 80mm is longer and bulkier to pack. With improvements in lenses these days, the Swaro 60mm would have to prove itself again against the Nikon and others, and probably need to be on another half price sale to convince me to drop the bucks on it. But it would start in the front for my consideration after my last sidewalk session.
Agree l am looking at the 60mm over the 80mm. 80 is just to big in the pack
Thanks for the info

I use Swarovski ATX. This scope is modular meaning you can use different size oculars with the same eyepiece. And the eyepiece itself can be had in angled (ATX) or straight (STX) version. I use the huge 115mm ocular for when weight is not a concern. It’s super bright and clear. And for when I have to carry it arround I mount the lightweight 60mm objective instead. I would definitely give KOWA a look too. Fantastic optics and their full fluoride lens range is hard to beat. They have a pretty good range too from smal, lightweight pieces to large 90mm ones.
Thanks for the info, l will check it out

The new compact Swaros would be your best bet. I have a cheaper Leupold at my range and then the full size Swaros for mountain hunting. I am always tempted by what's new so I may be shopping at SCI!
Yes compact Swarovski is very high on the list to check out
Thanks for the info

I prefer the Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50. It is around $700 and super compact. I use this for Texas and some western states. Use my 80mm Swarovski for very long range spotting but too big and heavy for most hunts.
1675776741521.png

Swarovski, no regrets, last forever.

Thanks for all the information guys. l have several to look at

I have two spotting scopes, both vortex: 20-60x 80mm and a 15-45x 60 mm. The larger on I purchased first. With the tripod it is around 8-9 lbs. the smaller was purchased a few years later, it saves 2-3 lbs of weight. The image quality on the smaller vortex is not that great at higher magnification. Now that I have better binoculars (swaro el range) I don’t use the spotting scopes as much.
Most of my hunting didn’t need the larger scope. Looking 1-2 miles, a 15-25 power is perfectly fine. For elk and deer, if you find a herd at 2 miles, you might not get there in time. It is fun to see animals, but for practical use, I would get a lighter/smaller version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!