Unplanned Dangerous Game Hunting?

Bush Buck

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia
Like me, I think that most of us plan to hunt plains game the first time ( or every time ) we go to Africa due to the expense associated with dangerous game hunting.
But I'm curious:
Have any of you been offered a great deal on a Cape Buffalo hunt after arrived for a plains game hunt?

Thanks,
Bush Buck

Just be careful on some of these unexpected DG deals. One of the unfortunate classics was the lion that had suddenly crossed over from Botswana or the croc that had mysteriously taken up residence in a stock tank.

If we are talking specifically about Cape buffalo, then the operator is normally given a quota and he will/should know well in advance what he has to offer. One situation that may arise is that the previous hunter failed to get his buff, or someone has cancelled immediately after you and consequently a buff is suddenly available.

Make sure you KNOW what a great deal is before you leave home and what your budget is.

Like me, I think that most of us plan to hunt plains game the first time ( or every time ) we go to Africa due to the expense associated with dangerous game hunting.
But I'm curious:
Have any of you been offered a great deal on a Cape Buffalo hunt after arrived for a plains game hunt?

Thanks,
Bush Buck
Rarely. DG are normally allocated far in advance of the hunting season. There could be a cancellation that makes a Buffalo available. On private land a Buffalo could be available on short notice. You would want to ask many questions on such a scenario. Make sure you are not being led to a breeding camp, that will not be much of a hunt.
It is great to dream just be careful.

Many things can happen while you are on Safari and Kevin and BRICKBURN both have very good points. Usually on wild areas we have a set quota. On privately owned properties you might see something like what you describe, but you have to ask yourself a couple of questions first. Is it truly a good deal or are they trying to get the most out of you while you are there?

But before you get there and suddenly there is a deal on the table, before your safari has started you can decide if you would go for an opportunity like that if it was possible or would you rather turn it down and do a Buffalo on a next Safari that you primarily plan for a Buffalo and maybe add a couple of others to your list, or even try a different area to see more of what Africa has to offer.

Like we often mention on this site it is all about what you expect out of your safari, if something does come along and you would like to do it then go for it, to each their own. I don’t think anyone here will try to talk you out of shooting a buffalo but no person here would want you to be pushed into something that you would rather have done on your own terms.

Its a balance between "take what Africa gives" and pre-planning your budget and expectations.

There is some really good advice above.

When I was on my hunt in RSA, I was offered a buffalo that had apparently shown up on the property we were hunting from a nearby reserve.

I declined, and we never did see the bull.

Never happened to me, after 8 safaris.

Now, if it´s the other way around, that once you are there, you want to shood DG, your Outfitter will be very pleased to accomodate you :A Yes:

I had this very thing happen to me in '21. It was a private concession in Limpopo. Initially we had gone to this particular area in pursuit of a nyala. The PH and I hunted the first day, and upon returning to our quarters the outfitter sat me down. It is worth noting that this particular outfitter does not own the concessions on which he hunts (but has hunted some of these properties for the last 20+ years).

At any rate, the outfitter sat me down and asked if I would like to hunt buffalo. At first I thought he was either joking, or trying to fleece a first-timer for some DG trophy fees. I initially told him that there was no way I could afford it. His reply was to not say no, just let him say what he had to say. "Tyler, we've hunted together now about a week. I know you and your shooting are up to it. You also have a rifle that is capable of handling it. Don't say no, just think about it."

I told him that he wasn't funny, because he KNEW I wanted to hunt buffalo, but I didn't have the money. "However, if we can get to a hospital, I do have two perfectly functioning kidneys, one of which I would be more than willing to sell".

"I don't think that will be necessary" was his dry reply. Rather out of the ordinary, for a normally joking, jovial fellow.

We discussed things a little further, and I got around to asking the price. I believe the outfitters jaw about hit the ground at the same time mine did when he told me the dollar amount. "Tyler, I cannot believe this price. In all my years of outfitting, I have NEVER been able to offer one at this price".

I thought about it, prayed about it, and discussed it with my PH on the side. The PH said something along the lines that if I had EVER considered buff, this was the time. I could hunt for several lifetimes and never have an offer anywhere near as good as this happen again.

I slept on this information, prayed, and thought about it a lot more. The next morning, I asked some more questions that I conjured up during the night. Seemed like the deal was just too good to be true, or there was some catch. Neither one of these things was the case...

As it turned out, the timing of this trip was shortly after RSA opened back up after Covid. There had not been any hunters in this camp for the previous two years, and the owner was feeling it, financially. The bulls were not lame or sick, nor were they in a breeding pen or anything of the sort. The owner just needed some income.

My decision was made. I was going to hunt Black Death! We had arrangements to spend several days camping in Kruger, but those were quickly scrubbed in lieu of buffalo.

I must say here that I never felt any pressure from the outfitter or the PH whatsoever. In fact, they reiterated to me that even if we were to hunt the buff, but I did not like any of the particular bulls, that I did not have to shoot. It was certainly not like some of the unfortunate situations I have read about where the client is pressured into shooting something.

We spent the better part of a week trying to catch up to these animals in the thick thorn bush, but could just not get an opportunity for a shot. We kept at it, and eventually we got the chance. We suddenly found ourselves amongst a herd of the giants. They were not surrounding us, but it sure felt as if they were. To this day I do not know if it was my heart, my imagination, or the hooves of the 25+ head in the heard, but I swear I felt the ground shaking. While we were waiting to pick out a good, mature bull, I kept praying over and over. I prayed to God that if I had a shot, to make my aim true. I also...well, plead with God. At that point I was unmarried, and the PH had a wife and kids. I actually prayed that if things went South, the bull would choose me and not him. Pretty sobering.

Eventually the bull we had decided on stepped into a clearing, about 20 yards away. As I eased my rifle up, it felt as if the bull was peering into my soul. Nearly broadside, head down, facing me. I held the crosshairs where the PH and I had discussed time and time again, and where I had read about since I was a child. When the pre-discussed pat came on my shoulder, the .375 barked. Immediately I worked the bolt and got the crosshairs back onto the fleeing mass of black. Just as I drew a bead, he was obscured by lesser bulls, cows, and dust.

"Good shot, Mr. Tyler. Sounded good, and he picked up his leg. Right on the shoulder. He'll be dead in a few minutes".

We backed out and gave him a little bit of time as it was getting dark. Fast.

Sure enough, a little while later, I had my hands on what was just days before a dream. A dream that I thought might one day happen, years down the road.

When we informed the property owner of our success, he began to cry. The income generated from this one animal was able to keep them going. An elderly man, I have no reason to doubt his sincerity. If I said he was the only one crying, I'd be lying. I know I was too, and 99% sure that through my tears, I saw those of the PH and outfitter as well.

Mampoers were poured, and we dined on buffalo that night.

On a side note, I was able to harvest a fine nyala the next day. Had we not initally been after that, we never would have been in that area in the first place. Sometimes God has a funny way of making things work out, for all parties involved. Also, sometimes things are not too good to be true.

I spoke to someone last year who had booked plains game and was offered a very cheap buffalo bull whilst he was there. I think the reason was that someone had cancelled at short notice and it was the end of the season with quota remaining for the planned trip. He took it and seemed very happy with his deal.

I have shot two stags in the past ten years in Scotland which had broken through a deer fence and in to forestry and one which had been reported as being involved in an accident the day before and was not charged for any as the stalker would have had to have dealt with them anyway.

Go on an end of season plainsgame hunt and you can be surprised what is left on quota. I went on a late September planned plainsgame only hunt in NW Namibia in 2018. The biggest mistake of that trip was I turned down an unbelievable offer on lion and lioness that had just been made problem animals. That outfitter also held Caprivi concessions. They still had red lechwe, 1 trophy croc, 1 own use hippo, 1 own use buffalo on quota. Own use buffalo was offered at a large discount on the trophy fee. After finishing in NW Namibia, I opted to hunt the two adjacent concessions with red lechwe and own use hippo rather than travel to buffalo concession. Namibia is likely an exception, but most concession areas you will already have booked the hunt targeting a dangerous game animal. If in South Africa I’d really educate yourself on what a deal is and what kind of buffalo hunt is acceptable to you. The offer was likely available long before the hunt started.

60F33E67-7E25-4937-88B9-1C50988114DE.jpeg

I added Buffalo to my first PG hunt in late 2021 in Limpopo, RSA. The outfitter offered a very good deal right after the COVID era.

I really liked hunting with the PH and his team so I am returning for leopard in Zim’ this August with him.

Never any pressure at all to add any animals to my trip or spend extra money. Sometimes you just get lucky with the outfitter’s you choose.

Best of luck with your planning and Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

There might be an outside chance of a PAC animal?

I was offered an opportunity to hunt a problem Hippo that was giving all sorts of trouble to the local villagers on my last plains game hunt. I turned it down, as Hippo were not really on my radar and I was at my personal financial limit. I regret it today.......

I was offered an opportunity to hunt a problem Hippo that was giving all sorts of trouble to the local villagers on my last plains game hunt. I turned it down, as Hippo were not really on my radar and I was at my personal financial limit. I regret it today.......
That can be a problem. On my first hunt I didn't have waterbuck on my list. In fact, one never crossed my mind until-- we were returning to the lodge after I had got my impala when the PH slammed on the brakes and pointed off to the right.
"What do you think about a good waterbuck?" There stood 5 of them in a group looking at us. Well, let me tell you, looking at those big gray fellas and long horns I made an executive decision right then and there. "Which one?" He glassed them and said,"The second one from the left." Sticks up, one waterbuck down..
Later at the lodge, one of the PHs sat down next to me at the bar and plopped a slug down. "Welcome to the 30 Club." The what?" "The 30 Club. Your waterbuck broke 30 inches and here's the slug. Not many do that."
Y'know, sometimes ya just gotta take a chance. That big guy on my wall is one of my favorite mounts.

Yes. PM me for details. (I'm not selling or defending anything.) LOL Many offer the DG trophy rate while PG hunting (some $ are better than $0 for them,) and several others are happy to offer you a 2nd one for the trophy rate after you've already paid the daily rates and tropy fee for a 1st. Sadly, this is the reason caribou hunting was closed in E. Canada. "Those damn wolves ate 'em all, the global temps increased 0.1 C causing a mosquito bloom, and the tundra doesn't grow anymore." yeah, yeah. $$ then is 0 now. Should've been $ and it'd still be going.... Bob Foulkrod my PA brethren is crying today. maybe. lol

But I'm curious:

Thanks,
Bush Buck
This happened to me on my first African safari in 2012 in the Save Valley Conservancy in Zimbabwe for Plains game. I was offered a buffalo for $7k. At the time, I had a son at CU Boulder for Engineering and a daughter at Columbia University for her Masters Degree. Money was tight and I didn’t take the offer. Then, you know what happened! I saw a big dagga boy that was well over 40”! I still regret it to this day!

Last edited:
This happened to me on my first African safari in 2012 in the Save Valley Conservancy in Zimbabwe for Plains game. I was offered a buffalo for $7k. At the time, I had a son at CU Boulder for Engineering and a daughter at Columbia University for her Masters Degree. Money was tight and I didn’t take the offer. Then, you know what happened! I saw a big dagga boy that was well over 40”! I still regret it to this day!
Always have a cushion for just such occasions. You never know when the trophy of a lifetime will pop up right in front of you.

During Covid times I took a chance (while enroute to the airport) and extended a Plains Game hunt in RSA, to add a hunt with another outfitter specifically for Buffalo. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and would recommend anyone hunt with them again.

This past year while hunting in RSA, on the way to a planned Plains Game Hunt in Namibia I got a WhatsApp message asking if I was interested in a PAC Elephant when I arrived in 48 hours. I was ultimately unsuccessful but did chase Elephants for several days getting very close to several bulls but never pulled the trigger.

If I'm travelling with a rifle, I'll always pack the 375 now, and bring a handful of solids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross