Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Just received this from LJ safaris.
Image1658312009.668394.jpg

First to let you know.

Secondly does anyone know why?

Thanks for sharing … who’s surprised, United forced COVID jab policies have caused serious staffing issues & now this Newark customer based service into S Africa ‘gone!?’ What an embarrassment …

Just got back from JNB. Gilbert from African sky showed me a huge pile of luggage sitting out on the curb in front of United lost luggage office. He said they ran out of room inside the office and just started stacking it up on the sidewalk. They did have guards with it. I flew United through Newark to Canada in May. Multiple cancelled flights and lost luggage. flew Delta to JNB this time and went smoothly.

Thread title says firearm shipments discontinued, but United email says temporary firearm embargo. At some point United will have to clarify the situation. Hopefully it's a specific security issue that is temporary. Otherwise I'll be re-booking to Delta.

Won't fly United to Africa again. For my June/July trip almost every flight was delayed, and my JNB to Newark flight cancelled - had to reroute through London which was a mess of an airport. Had to run to make a couple of connections.
The only positives were the United desk, flight attendants, and baggage handlers were really working hard to help - too bad their leadership is not as competent...
Also, Houston A/P was awesome, got through customs, rechecking baggage, and security in a 1/2 hour to make a short connection.

Another reason for me to avoid United.
The whole firearms handling process needs to be re-evaluated also. A person flying with a firearm really should be in more control of it. Such as something like keeping it in hand as carryon luggage until they hand it over personally at the plane to be placed on the plane. Ammo could still be separate but the idea of cases that are clearly, to any observation, likely to contain a firearm shouldn’t be lying on a baggage wagon or anywhere besides the secure cargo hold is ridiculous, let alone sitting somewhere as lost luggage.

Another reason for me to avoid United.
The whole firearms handling process needs to be re-evaluated also. A person flying with a firearm really should be in more control of it. Such as something like keeping it in hand as carryon luggage until they hand it over personally at the plane to be placed on the plane. Ammo could still be separate but the idea of cases that are clearly, to any observation, likely to contain a firearm shouldn’t be lying on a baggage wagon or anywhere besides the secure cargo hold is ridiculous, let alone sitting somewhere as lost luggage.

You would hate O'hare then. I went to collect my checked bag and there was my gun case and a couple of others just sitting on the luggage belt against the wall. I thought I would have to go to an office of some sort and prove my identity to collect it. Anybody could have walked off with all of those firearms.

You would hate O'hare then. I went to collect my checked bag and there was my gun case and a couple of others just sitting on the luggage belt against the wall. I thought I would have to go to an office of some sort and prove my identity to collect it. Anybody could have walked off with all of those firearms.
Exactly. That’s a prime example of how unsafe and insecure the present process is. I’ve seen rifle cases sitting on buggies in public spaces several times over the years. If they’re so scary and dangerous then the “chain of custody” really should be better.

Not surprised. I’ve never been a fan of United. United and American Airlines sucks. I’ve always had problems with both airlines. I flew Ethiopian into Namibia. It was an ok flight. I’ve flown South African air into Joburg as well. No issues with either other than the planes are all old and food is t that good. Next time I want to try Qatar. I’ve been told they are very nice.

Is there one at all airline you can entrust your firearms,.,.... for an acceptable price???

HWL

Also heard feom PHASA that its being sorted and will be back to normal by tonight

United had better help the hunters.
This will tell the tale about customer service. This far, it’s a fail.

I hate United for various reasons, this is just icing on the cake. When United took over Continental they screwed all the Continental members that had accumulated a shit-ton of miles with no expiration date. I remember the good days when American and Continental took care of customers traveling with guns. But even back then us southern boys knew to never fly through Newark.

We're hearing the issue has been resolved, but still waiting on more details!

Flew United to South Africa twice. This last time March 2022 they lost my guns and 6 other hunters guns on the flight. They showed up 3 days into my hunt. Huge pain the butt as we were 8 hours north of the airport, people have to sing for them, etc…. I sent an email to the United VP - no reply - but I alluded to intentional delays…. Anyhow, next time it will be a different airline.

Flew United to South Africa twice. This last time March 2022 they lost my guns and 6 other hunters guns on the flight. They showed up 3 days into my hunt. Huge pain the butt as we were 8 hours north of the airport, people have to sing for them, etc…. I sent an email to the United VP - no reply - but I alluded to intentional delays…. Anyhow, next time it will be a different airline.
You have to 'sing' for them? That could be awkward for those of us who cant carry a tune in a bucket!
:eek: :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross