8 x 60
AH enthusiast
After another long stint in the deserts of the Middle East I arrived back home 3 weeks ago late in the evening after 23 hrs travel involving two flights and a lot of hanging around - as is usually the way with international travel.
After saying hi to the wife and dogs and in desperate need of some fresh air and a leg stretch I went for an unarmed walk just before dusk.
I had only gone 200yrds and bumped a Buck. His antlers were entangled in a pile of big bale mesh. I made a note ...
The next day, pouring with, rain I thought it would be a good idea to do a zero-check on the .243 so as to be ready for maybe later in the week when the rain was forecast to stop.
That was done - walking back to the house with rifle, target and sticks etc, who did I see 100 yrds away? The Buck.
I was somewhat surprised as it was early afternoon and deer generally don't like the rain so had not expected to see him.
A quick loading of the rifle (which was completely unloaded) followed.
The shot was not safe as he was tight against the track to our place and no back stop.
Rifle up on sticks. And waited.
He slowly moved along the hedge towards me. I made a mental note that if he made it as far as a certain point the shot would be on.
Eventually he reached the spot , 1/4ing towards me . 90grns hit the spot and he never took another step. (He was 34yrds away when I squeezed the trigger)
He would most likely have ended up hooked onto a barbed wire fence and/or done some serious damage with those antlers in the current rut.
All in all a most satisfying
home-coming.
After saying hi to the wife and dogs and in desperate need of some fresh air and a leg stretch I went for an unarmed walk just before dusk.
I had only gone 200yrds and bumped a Buck. His antlers were entangled in a pile of big bale mesh. I made a note ...
The next day, pouring with, rain I thought it would be a good idea to do a zero-check on the .243 so as to be ready for maybe later in the week when the rain was forecast to stop.
That was done - walking back to the house with rifle, target and sticks etc, who did I see 100 yrds away? The Buck.
I was somewhat surprised as it was early afternoon and deer generally don't like the rain so had not expected to see him.
A quick loading of the rifle (which was completely unloaded) followed.
The shot was not safe as he was tight against the track to our place and no back stop.
Rifle up on sticks. And waited.
He slowly moved along the hedge towards me. I made a mental note that if he made it as far as a certain point the shot would be on.
Eventually he reached the spot , 1/4ing towards me . 90grns hit the spot and he never took another step. (He was 34yrds away when I squeezed the trigger)
He would most likely have ended up hooked onto a barbed wire fence and/or done some serious damage with those antlers in the current rut.
All in all a most satisfying
home-coming.
Last edited: