Ugly question: 9.3x62 vs .338WM

Velo Dog
The ideal action for your 404 would be a P14 or M17, both are already close to magnum length and is an easy conversion. Both actions are stronger than the Mauser as well
Cheers

Bob,

As is often the case, I totally agree with you.

Cheers,
Velo.

I have heard nothing but good reports on the Norma "Oryx" bullet, from hunters with various calibers.
Compared to other bullet brands, not very many people where I live know of it but, among those who do use the Oryx bullet, all of them seem to "sing happy songs" about it.
Velo Dog
Some one on the posts said the Oryx is just a woodleigh PPSP under a,different name. I don't know about that but the Woodleigh would be ideal in the 9.3 with weight from 232 grains up to a 320 grain PPSP, they also do a 35 cal from 200 to 310 grains.
Cheers Paul
Bob

Both calibres are perfect ... and I love them equally . However , I personally prefer the .338 Winchester magnum calibre . You cannot go wrong with either choice . Howe , the .338 Winchester magnum calibre has a flatter trajectory based on my personal experience .
Unless I am very mistaken ... 300 grain bullets are now available for the .338 Winchester magnum calibre .
My dear friend Ponton
Yes Woodleigh do indeed make a 300 grain .338 projectile both a full metal jacket solid and a round nose soft point.
Your friend
Bob Nelson

My dear friend Ponton
Yes Woodleigh do indeed make a 300 grain .338 projectile both a full metal jacket solid and a round nose soft point.
Your friend
Bob Nelson
What is really interesting to me , Bob ... is that Woodleigh also offers a 300 grain solid metal covered bullet variant for their .338 Winchester magnum calibre line , as well . African White Hunter , Mr. John Coleman ( of Eastern Cape ) actually used a .338 Winchester magnum calibre Fabrique Nationale Mauser 98 action custom made bolt rifle and 275 grain solid metal covered Winchester brand cartridges ... to dispatch countless African Cape Buffaloes and African Elephants , with utter impunity .

What is really interesting to me , Bob ... is that Woodleigh also offers a 300 grain solid metal covered bullet variant for their .338 Winchester magnum calibre line , as well . African White Hunter , Mr. John Coleman ( of Eastern Cape ) actually used a .338 Winchester magnum calibre Fabrique Nationale Mauser 98 action custom made bolt rifle and 275 grain solid metal covered Winchester brand cartridges ... to dispatch countless African Cape Buffaloes and African Elephants , with utter impunity .
My dear friend Ponton
Attached is a copy of the Woodleigh catalogue for the 338
20200506_142304.jpg

You will also see special projectiles for the smaller 338 federal as well
Keep safe and well my friend
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a tough one ! I have both calibers so here goes...
My 338 with 250 g Hornady has super penetration . Two seasons back I shot a Gemsbok (Oryx) at 100m from the front and the bullet traversed the right through and took the tail off on exiting! This caliber is actually ideal for heavy game up to 300. Such as kudu bulls , wildebeest etc on the plains or hills.
I was asked to assist in a zebra cull in the Kalahari so I loaded 225grainers as I expected the ranges to be at the 3-400m mark but sadly lockdown prevented me from traveling. ThisJapanese HOWA 1500 rifle has been pimped so I know it can do the work. I jokingly call it the “scooby” which is the slang name for subaru- a Japanese car that our locals pimp out with bigger turbos etc.I added a Boyd’s stock , bedded it down and added a silencer as is the current fashion in South Africa.
I would never do this to my 9.3’s especially my double square bridge Mauser! It is as she left the factory in Germany in 1937.
My other 9’er is a Belgium built Mahillion circa 1960. This one has a scope and after market trigger package.they both like 286 gn bullets.
The 9.3 x62 is actually better suited to close up action meaning under 150m . It shoots like a 30-06 but delivers like a .375 enough said.

Velo Dog
The ideal action for your 404 would be a P14 or M17, both are already close to magnum length and is an easy conversion. Both actions are stronger than the Mauser as well
Cheers
There is a 404 on a P14 action up for auction this weekend from Classic Arms . Just don’t bid on the other 404!its mine!

I think the 9.3 had a fair bit more energy than the 338.
Both are excellent but the 9.3 I feel had the edge and is fairly similar to the 375 H&H.
The 338 I feel is more suited to slightly smaller dangerous game such as bears.
Sorry, that's not correct. The .338WM is significantly more powerful than the 9.3 x 62. The smaller diam/high ball coefficient projectiles make it a very good long range rifle. In fact retained energies at 100m plus exceed that of .375H&H. It can be loaded to perform well in the bush. One just has to be quite careful in bullet selection in order to avoid blow-ups.
9.3 x 62 is essentially a bush rifle. It can be loaded to perform adequately to around 300m, but that's not its ideal application. Energy transfer and bullet performance at bush ranges is generally better than that of the .338 due to slightly heavier bullet and larger calibre (there is a very noticeable difference in frontal areas of expanded bullets). 9.3 is also less likely to pass through , which is an advantage when shooting herd animals.
The main practical differences are that the 9.3 is legal on DG in virtually all African counties whereas the .338 cartridges are legal in some but not others. In these parts the 9.3 is considered the equivalent of the .375 H&H for most applications.

the 9.3x64 is more than a consideration.
it really is equal.
bruce.
Bruce moulds
I reckon a 35 cal 225 grain accubond at 2,850 fps would give the 338 a good run for its money out to any sensible game range as well mate.
Cheers Bruce
Bob

If you keep it up Bruce, I’m gonna have to get one.
Wyatt Smith
Forget the 9.3x64 it's a brilliant caliber for sure, just give me a properly loaded 35 Whelen. There ain't no flies on a,250 grain partition or Speer hotcore at 2,700+fps either.
Cheers Wyatt
Bob
Yes I am biased to the 35 Whelen since I found out it's FULL potential not wimpy factory loads.

If you keep it up Bruce, I’m gonna have to get one.
Its a great calibre, but difficult to come by here . SAKO's 9.3 x 66 is also good, but SAKO's are pricey, and the trade off between additional recoil and a fairly minor gain in V0 does not seem to be justified. Hence my choice of the 9.3x62 - in CZ550, which is a great workhorse rifle and well priced.

He must have used speer AGS SOLIDS 275 GRAIN. They are not manifacturing that any more. They were made in early 1990's. I have a picture
1588793815398631932150043950240.jpg
15887937438345079732374889022123.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisa56S81

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.