TV host under fire for cougar hunt in Alberta

“The Alberta Cougar hunt is one of the most well researched and closely controlled hunts anywhere in the world. If science does not prevail on this one then we need to ban FB from Canada. It's an invasive species.”

That is one hell of a nice cat! The perfect animal to be hunted.
Absolutely true statement above. In fact, cougar hunting in both Canada and the US is some of the most carefully monitored and controlled hunting anywhere. To my knowledge there is not a state or province that does not set very strict harvest objectives and require every animal harvested to be inspected within a certain period of time, data to be collected, a tooth pulled and in many instances DNA taken.
And a large portion of Bryan's income is from catching and tranquilizing cougars for the Government to collar and study them ..... He told me of a story where they had a huge cat laying in the ditch when school let out in a fairly populated area... When a local housewife drove up in her mini van the government people threw a tarp over the cat.... She stopped and asked what they were doing and what was under the tarp... Bryan folded the tarp back and she gasped... "You're not going to let that thing go here are you" to which Bryan calmly said. "Yup, and there are lots more of them around here"... she was pissed and did not want it her back yard!

It's funny(disturbing) how our news channels manage to spin this crap. They had a choice to present the scientific side of sustainable hunting by interviewing biologists such as Dr. Mark Boyce but instead we get a quote from him that it was just a legal hunt. Then we get 3 minutes of a rant from some animal rights clown Barbie in Ottawa on how this is such a barbaric practice. Man this just ticks me off. :A Blowup:

Awesome cat. That thing is huge.

He told me of a story where they had a huge cat laying in the ditch when school let out in a fairly populated area... When a local housewife drove up in her mini van the government people threw a tarp over the cat.... She stopped and asked what they were doing and what was under the tarp... Bryan folded the tarp back and she gasped... "You're not going to let that thing go here are you" to which Bryan calmly said. "Yup, and there are lots more of them around here"... she was pissed and did not want it her back yard!
Universal amongst the greenies and antis. They did the same thing to New Mexico ranchers with the wolf. Everbody in Sante Fe and Albuquerque want to be able to drive several hours to the "wilderness" and hear a wolf howl. How dare the ranchers want to keep them out of their livestock or their front yards where they eat the family dog in front of the children.

Seems pretty clear that Mrs. Harper's words are defamatory and should be addressed as such. She is undermining the integrity of an individual who does good work for the community. I really hope he seeks a public apology from her through his counsel

I wonder if the reason she has to resort to penis size references is because it was a particularly heavy flow this month.........................

just sayin'............................................:whistle:

Here is the Tweet.

Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 3.44.31 PM.png

The only shame in killing that cat, is that it wasn't me that done it! But it is weird that Mrs. Harper has the position she has. I would have thought the wife of the guy that was instrumental in abolishing the "long gun" registry (i.e. everything registered!) in Canada, would have had a more understanding view.

Beautiful mountain lion! I like @ActionBob 's idea of combining mountain lion hunting with lynx!!!

I actually take something positive from all of this.

Of course the initial tweet was contemptible. You can express opposition to a hunt without resorting to this kind of talk, but as was amply demonstrated, this is how you get a headline. Ms. Harper should be ashamed of herself, but then, these type of people rarely demonstrate shame.

But having said that, the mainstream media seemed to give more space to the scientists - both government and otherwise - who described the hunt as necessary, scientifically based and ethical, than they did to those who lose their ability to think when faced with an animal. That in itself is positive. This has turned into an opportunity to educate people about the benefits of hunting as a conservation tool, and wonder of wonders (maybe it’s the season?), it seems to be working!

The only shame in killing that cat, is that it wasn't me that done it! But it is weird that Mrs. Harper has the position she has. I would have thought the wife of the guy that was instrumental in abolishing the "long gun" registry (i.e. everything registered!) in Canada, would have had a more understanding view.

It was not just the long gun registry- Harper was also supportive of the Inuit to stop polar bears being listed as CITES I. His government also voted or opted out against Canada condemning shark fining. In these 2 cases though it was politically expedient- Harper was big about the North etc... and he would often do photo ops there every year. Also in the case of shark finning- he had quite a bit of supporters/voters amoung the wealthy Hong Kong Chinese in Canada. I would also suspect that in these cases race played a role as condemning the Inuit for hunting polar bear or the Asians for shark fining (despite the fact there is zero regulation of this in asia) could be seen as "racist" and attacking their traditional culture etc... But attacking a white man for taking part in a tightly regulated hunt for a cougar is perfectly fine.

But Mrs. Harper also seems to be obessessed with cats http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/parli...rely-lacks/ar-BBH9N3g?li=AAggFp5&ocid=1PRCMSE The fact that in the first article she says she has family members who hunt indicates that she made this comment because this was a cougar (if it had been a deer or something she would have said nothing probably) and she has a thing for cats- big and small- totally ignoring the science and regulation behind this hunt. Bizarre.

Beautiful mountain lion! I like @ActionBob 's idea of combining mountain lion hunting with lynx!!!
I believe that is the standard offering from Liard River Outfitters, who has the area and hires Brian to chase the cats.

When I was on my bear hunt in 2016, I saw a cougar, a lynx, 50 some black/blonde/cinnamon bears, 8 grizzleys, 5 wolves, and countless elk, a few moose and deer;)

It is a great area but I've never been so sick of riding in a pickup truck in my life... Jeff likes to cover lots of miles looking for bears.

Running behind dogs a bit would have been some welcome stretching of the legs:)

Man I think Canada is getting worse than the U.S. Now they want to take in terrorists and rehab them?? What the hell is that prime minster thinking? Oh ya..Great cat.

Thinking? That narcissistic, selfie taking, arrogant, mental midget doesn't think he just mugs for the cameras. our real PM is Gerald Butts. Former WWF president, student of Karl Marx, veteran Liberal insider and Green Energy promoter. We are so screwed

Thinking? That narcissistic, selfie taking, arrogant, mental midget doesn't think he just mugs for the cameras. our real PM is Gerald Butts. Former WWF president, student of Karl Marx, veteran Liberal insider and Green Energy promoter. We are so screwed
You left out the latest statements regards returning ISIS fighters, saying they will be able to assist in anti radicalization training. Huhhh? That's like putting Catholic child molesting priests in charge of the kindergarten...

You left out the latest statements regards returning ISIS fighters, saying they will be able to assist in anti radicalization training. Huhhh? That's like putting Catholic child molesting priests in charge of the kindergarten...

Look no further than his Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Foreign Affairs "Omar Alghabra" for your answers to why we are welcoming terrorists back with open arms

I think we are getting off track here, and @BRICKBURN can certainly delete this post if he thinks it’s taking us even further from the thread, but some things need to be said in reply to some of the recent comments.

How about we lay off the religious references? As a Catholic myself, I am well aware of the issues the Church has had with certain priests. But tarring all priests with the same brush is the same as suggesting that all men are (potential) rapists, or somehow responsible for Mr. Weinstein. Not true, not helpful and certainly not necessary to the discussion.

As for “welcoming terrorists back with open arms” a few comments need to be made. Let me start by saying that I have voted Tory blue my entire life (for our American friends, that’s the exact opposite of your “blue”). That out of the way, here goes:

1. The people we are talking about are Canadian citizens. They have a right to come to Canada, just the same as you and me. Be very careful about taking away that right without any trial, on the basis of your opinion of public opinion. Do you want immigration officers - or still less politicians - deciding which Canadian citizens can come home? The next person to be denied the rights of citizenship may well be you.

2. It is a crime in Canada to give assistance to terrorist organizations. ISIS is such an organization. If these people have assisted ISIS in any way, then they can and should be charged upon return to Canada, and we will let a judge and jury decide if they are guilty of anything. To suggest anything else is to go down the same road which ISIS and their ilk have gone down. We have to preserve what makes us - in my opinion - what and who we are, and that is the rule of law, the presumption of innocence, and the right to a fair and impartial trial. Take those things away and we are no better than the terrorists. And - just as an aside - you will be spitting on what many, many, Canadians have died to protect.

Back to Mrs. Harper.

I actually take something positive from all of this.

Of course the initial tweet was contemptible. You can express opposition to a hunt without resorting to this kind of talk, but as was amply demonstrated, this is how you get a headline. Ms. Harper should be ashamed of herself, but then, these type of people rarely demonstrate shame.

But having said that, the mainstream media seemed to give more space to the scientists - both government and otherwise - who described the hunt as necessary, scientifically based and ethical, than they did to those who lose their ability to think when faced with an animal. That in itself is positive. This has turned into an opportunity to educate people about the benefits of hunting as a conservation tool, and wonder of wonders (maybe it’s the season?), it seems to be working!
Good point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hispeeeed

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair