Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
I was just wondering if anybody knew if TSA approved locks are legal to use for locking up your ammunition box to comply with South African regulations. Last time I used non-TSA locks and during the American leg of my trip it looks as if they tried very hard to yank the suckers off. I got luck and everything was allowed through in one piece. I don't want a potential problem this time, but I don't know if SA police allow TSA locks. Anyone know for sure?

That is what I used

Me four! You want the TSA locks as our side may well unlock them toinspect

Me four! You want the TSA locks as our side may well unlock them toinspect

Exactly right. Only the gun case gets non-TSA locks (and at least in theory they won't cut them off). You can use non-TSA on your ammo, but they can and will cut it off if they have a mind to.

On a gun case my idea is to have 2 master locks that are keyed the same. One will be unlocked and inside the gun case, the other will be used to lock and secure the case on the outside. Then if just by chance some inspector gets inside by cutting the first lock off they will see the second lock and kindly re-secure the case with it. This shouldn't happen but who know what goes on once the case leaves your sight. You will also know if it was opened when you see that the second lock is now gone from the inside when you open it.

As for TSA locks on the ammo box, a lock is a lock is a lock. If someone wants to get inside it you are not going to stop them with a lock. I also plan on doing the same thing with my ammo box as I am going to do with my rifle case. I will place a unlocked TSA approved lock inside the ammo box where anyone will see it if they open the box. If the first lock is damaged then they can use the second lock to secure the ammo box.

At least that is what I plan on doing 10 days from now when I fly out.

Just one opinion but I have always used non TSA locks on both and always will. I haven't had one issue ever. I carry extra locks with me though just incase.

That was my plan too, they cut my Master locks, and put TSA locks on my gun case, no note, no combination, no nothing, no tools to cut the locks off,
Here I am in Tambo and no way to unlock, and half the plane I just landed on were traveling with firearms!!!
Out of pure frustration, I started twisting and the cheap TSA popped open!
Somehow a cheaper lock with the combination supposed to be on a sticker next to the lock is more secure than Master locks and one key!!!

Just one opinion but I have always used non TSA locks on both and always will. I haven't had one issue ever. I carry extra locks with me though just incase.

+1

I will have a TSA lock on my ammo box only, when I leave in 12 days!

Use a TSA lock on your ammo box, SA law requires the locked ammo box not the airlines, if the TSA agent cuts your lock and you arrive in SA with an unlocked ammo box you will have broke SA law and that could be a bad way to start your African safari. Use a Master ProSeries lock for your gun case, the standard master lock can be opened with a simple $12 pick available from any prep-er store or website, the Master ProSeries is much more secure.

Not sure why they cut the non-TSA locks on your gun case greyfox. Its actually a requirement to use non-TSA locks on your gun case! SAA thru me a curve on my trip I just took. When I checked in for my connecting flight to Bloemfontein, they asked me where my ammo was. It was in a locked (TSA lock) plastic MTM ammo box in a locked (TSA lock) small hard sided checked bag. They removed the ammo box, placed it in a SAA plastic bag, tie-wrapped it closed, then put a checked baggage tag on it. Brilliant!!!! It arrived in Bloemfontein broken with loose shells in the bag!! Bottom line...it all depends on which idiot checks you in.

Buff-Buster you have a good sense of humor.

While in the USA, i never lock my ammo container. The Ammo container is locked in side my checked luggage that is locked using a TSA lock.

In South Africa, one time i had to remove the ammo container and weigh it and lock it for separate shipping out of joberg. When you deliver or drop the ammo case off with your rifle case it is inspected and then relocked at that time. Therefor for your ammo container, you do not need to have a TSA lock. When you get to your destination, you show your paperwork and will pick up your rifle and ammo.

My ammo case has it's own built in lock/key set up. Hope thats ok?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross