Trying to choose which caliber for a new double rifle

My double is a Krieghoff Classic Big Five, however the caliber is 9.3x74R. With that I can hunt anything up to buffalo.

Because being a Classic Big Five big calibers can be added easily, should I ever want it.

My double is a Krieghoff Classic Big Five, however the caliber is 9.3x74R. With that I can hunt anything up to buffalo.

Because being a Classic Big Five big calibers can be added easily, should I ever want it.
Whats the weight on that combination?

'Whats the weight on that combination?'

3.6 kg - just the rifle without sling etc.
The gun came with a heavy 300 g screw which one can insert into the stock in case one gets an additional big carrel i e a .470. For balancing the rifle….

Last edited:
'Whats the weight on that combination?'

3.6 kg - just the rifle without sling etc.
The gun came with a heavy 300 g screw which one can insert into the stock in case one gets an additional big carrel i e a .470. For balancing the rifle….
That sounds like a nice weight for a 9,3x74R, I was concerned that the Classic Big Five would be much heavier even in lighter calibers(y)

On the other hand the big upside of the .500/.416 is of course that it gives more effect when it comes to the bigger animals.

A scoped, .416 is the answer. Big enough for anything with proper shot placement.
At 50 meters or less the iron sights or a 1x scope will put rounds on target.
At 200 meters, at least one barrel should be able to produce a fist-size group from a good rest.
One might have to try different loads to find which is most accurate.
One could also have a second scope sighted for another load, i.e. lighter bullets.

PS: Don't worry about the rifle's weight being too much. A good PH will keep offering their client for a second tracker to carry the rifle. The weight will steady the rifle for the shot when standing 20 meters from dangerous game.

Dr. Don 'Ganyana’ Heath, Zimbabwe, was extremely fond of the 9.3x62, here in action.
8A8B9063-EDA4-4F1B-BE96-5607A25D30E8.jpeg

A 450/400 double with a DG scope on QD mounts seems as all round as you can get and still reassonably light. In the Heym 89b Africa frame that comes in at 4.5kg or 10#.

You can do plenty of hunting with the "medium bore".. doubles and have good time doing it....and other people use their bigger calibre doubles to hunt a variety of animals....so a double is not just a "stopper"....if you are a ph then yes it will be the reason it's carried...but same can be said for the bigger calibre bolt action rifles as well....
Fair point

I am with IvW, a .416 with a removable scope should be good for dangerous game at close range without the scope, and hopefully a 200 meter rifle with at least one barrel.

For me, I will someday own a .416 with two removable optics. One being a 1-4 or 1-6 quality variable scope, and the other being a small RMR red dot. I will have to conduct multiple field trials to ensure that the point of impact does not change with continual removal and insulation of the optics. Quality scope mounts should maintain a minute of angle between installations. MOA is significantly smaller than minute of buffalo.

Last edited:
Kevin said "
A 450/400 double with a DG scope on QD mounts seems as all round as you can get and still reasonably light. In the Heym 89b Africa frame that comes in at 4.5kg or 10#."

Sounds good. My light .405 DR fits that well.
If bigger bore is needed, My .458 DR will exceed all the lower lever requirements.

For what it is worth, before the hunt, the RSA landowner took one look at the rifle and cartridge that took the buff to the left and said OK!
In an after the hunt chat, he was quite pleased and provided us drinks and snacks to hear how well the 400 grain Woodie at 2100 fps from my 1895 .405 worked on the buff. Receiver sight, no scope needed at 20 yards!

For what it is worth I would go with the 450/400 3 inch for an all- around double. In fact it was the all around cartridge prior to the introduction of the 375 H&H. I adore my W.J. Jeffery in 400 Jeffery Express (450/400) and it will be accompanying me to Africa in May.

Read Pondoro Taylor on this subject as well. Beware of lightweight doubles. The recoil in my Chapuis 9.3x74 is rather sharp although it a delight to carry.
+1. I have a Chapuis 450-400 NE in 3 inch that will take any animal on earth and is a delight to shoot. Took it to Africa last year as my only gun and took a Buff and 4 PG

I’ve own a 375 h&h, love this gun. with that said I wanted something a little more? I’ve shot 416, 458 lott. The 458 lott double is a little bit out of my price range, as I’m married! I bought the kgun 500/416. I really can’t say enough about this double other than what has been said here. I did add a better butt pad which is fantastic. I also bought everything one needs to reload too. There isn’t much info about this rifle, the info out there is all great stuff. My two cents

I doubt I’ll ever own a double, but if I was in the market, I think the recent ammo shortage would convince me to buy one in the most common calibers available. I believe that more doubles have been made in 470 nitro than any other caliber. At least over the last 30 years. When and if the ammo manufacturers get around to making safari calibers again, they’ll likely start with the most common calibers, like 375 H&H. Maybe 470 Nitro before the other double rifle calibers. Just a thought.

As an aside…..does anyone else find the spell check tool on AH to be frustrating? I need spelling help occasionally but the tool on our beloved AH website is…uhhh…cludgey.

I doubt I’ll ever own a double, but if I was in the market, I think the recent ammo shortage would convince me to buy one in the most common calibers available. I believe that more doubles have been made in 470 nitro than any other caliber. At least over the last 30 years. When and if the ammo manufacturers get around to making safari calibers again, they’ll likely start with the most common calibers, like 375 H&H. Maybe 470 Nitro before the other double rifle calibers. Just a thought.

As an aside…..does anyone else find the spell check tool on AH to be frustrating? I need spelling help occasionally but the tool on our beloved AH website is…uhhh…cludgey.
Other than the 375 H&H and the 9.3x74R none of the cartridges being discussed are very common. You either need to lay in a lifetime supply when it is available or better yet load your own. I have NEVER been short of ammo, no matter how uncommon the cartridge, because I can easily make more anytime I want to. It is also a ton cheaper, 460 Bee ammo is $280 a box here, I can make it for $30 to $40 depending on the bullet I use.

Hi Dean2. I also hand load for everything I own. But finding components is as difficult or more difficult than finding ammo. Primers are scarce. So is powder. Bullets for the larger calibers are incredibly rare these days. So my advice for anyone buying a DGR is to buy one in a common caliber.

Hi Dean2. I also hand load for everything I own. But finding components is as difficult or more difficult than finding ammo. Primers are scarce. So is powder. Bullets for the larger calibers are incredibly rare these days. So my advice for anyone buying a DGR is to buy one in a common caliber.
Most people can easily afford to buy and store enough components to load 500 to 1000 rounds of all of their usual hunting cartridges. For most guys that is a lifetime supply of ammo. Most would find it a real challenge in terms of cost to buy and store even 200 factory rounds of 460 Bee, 470, 375 or 500.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.