Trump walking back Elephant Imports

Just read this morning paper where Rich Lowery from the National Review, wrote that he supports Trump's keeping the ban in place. And says its BS that folks from the USA just want to go over to shoot a elephant for conservation. Starting not to look good for any African hunting, when an "so called" conservative magazine comes out against your interests.

See Below:

It’s not often that President Donald Trump’s Twitter feed is the voice of reason and compassion, but on the issue of trophy hunting it makes more sense than his own Department of Interior.

Trump put on hold the department’s initial decision to reverse an Obama-era ban and allow the importation of elephant trophies from Zimbabwe and Zambia. In a tweet, Trump referred to trophy hunting as a “horror show.” He said he would be “very hard-pressed” to conclude that such hunting advances the cause of conservation, the justification for the decision.

Trump, who has publicly dissented in the past from the notorious trophy hunting of his own sons, is right. In this case, government by tweet is better than the alternative, and more in keeping with the interests of the most majestic creatures on this Earth.

The African elephant population is in historic decline, driven by the loss of habitat and poaching. Early in the 20th century, there were more than 10 million elephants. Now there are about 350,000. The killing still proceeds apace.

A 2014 study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences concluded that 100,000 elephants had been killed by poachers in a three-year period from 2010 to 2012, and the Central African population had declined by 64 percent over a decade. In one orgy of destruction in 2012, poachers killed more than 300 elephants in a national park in Cameroon with AK-47s and grenades.

Trophy hunting, which is licensed and regulated, is not illegal poaching. It also isn’t a reputable practice. Or it shouldn’t be.

Elephants are highly intelligent and social creatures. They really do have extraordinary memories. They have families. They mourn their dead. They aren’t simply walking tusks waiting to be mounted on someone’s office wall. Gunning them down for bragging rights, or to cross an item off a bucket list, or to post a photo with a carcass on Instagram or Facebook is thoughtless and cruel.

The argument that trophy hunting is a boon to conservation is hard to credit, and a little too convenient. Why did the hunter pay tens of thousands of dollars to travel halfway around the world to kill an elephant and chop off its head? Why, for the good of elephants, of course.

To have any chance of aiding in conservation and not fueling corruption, trophy hunting has to be carefully managed. It beggars belief that the government of Zimbabwe — long ruled by a monstrous dictator, Robert Mugabe, who may or may not be resigning after a military coup — will be a responsible steward of program in behalf of animals. The government of Zimbabwe has never managed to be a responsible steward of programs related to human beings.

Trophy hunting runs counters to the global campaign against the ivory trade, which is at the root of the poaching. We have finally prevailed on the Chinese, long the worst offender on ivory, to begin to shut down its markets. It would be bizarre to turn around and say that any schmuck with money to burn and no better way to entertain himself can waltz into the U.S. with elephant tusks.

Trophy hunting is now the exception rather than rule in African countries. Botswana, with the largest population of elephants, banned hunting in 2014; Kenya prohibited it back in the 1970s. Hunting bans are hardly a magical solution to the devastation in elephant populations. Yet wildlife tourism that doesn’t involve destroying a scarce and endangered resource seems a better long-term economic bet.

After the initial decision to lift the trophy ban was announced, Trump may have been moved to speak out by heart-rending images on TV of elephants getting slaughtered. If so, it was an admirable reaction. When an elephant — a creature that means no harm and is deeply affected by trauma and loss — is poisoned or gunned down for fun or profit, it’s worth asking, Who’s really the animal?

Rich Lowry can be reached via e-mail: comments.lowry@nationalreview.com

https://www.cullmantimes.com/users/...cle_3dab7e03-8c51-5d41-a096-f8e83a61533f.html

Last edited:
I usually like Lowry, but like so many in the Beltway, he is clueless when it comes to things outside his usual environs. I sent him an "enlightenment" email..:rolleyes::eek::D

The piece by Lowry really does however illustrate what I was talking about in other posts, in that the way hunting is being portrayed as a slaughter and animals being "gunned down" for "fun" and profit, politically its a fire Trump needed to throw water on and he did. I would have too in his shoes.

Why do people even accept that its ok for US government to say what you can and can't hunt in another foreign country as far as hunting and what you bring back or not as long as its disease free ? Rediculous

Why do people even accept that its ok for US government to say what you can and can't hunt in another foreign country as far as hunting and what you bring back or not as long as its disease free ? Rediculous
Why do we accept anything? What is the alternative? You willing to go to war over it? March in the streets with a sign? I hate to be the bearer of bad news but we are outnumbered BIGLY!!

The piece by Lowry really does however illustrate what I was talking about in other posts, in that the way hunting is being portrayed as a slaughter and animals being "gunned down" for "fun" and profit, politically its a fire Trump needed to throw water on and he did. I would have too in his shoes.

Trophy hunting in the form practiced today of for example elephants has been scientifically proven to benefit the species in numerous ways. CITES ( made up of an international group of experts in wildlife management/protection et al) allows these exports and imports and states they are sustainable. Ignorant people in the US (who know nothing or next to nothing on this subject) decide that this should be banned and your president Trump goes along with it. If I am not mistaken your founding fathers, particularly James Madison tried to have a constitution in place to prevent a "tyranny of the majority" which Trump is pandering too....

Trophy hunting in the form practiced today of for example elephants has been scientifically proven to benefit the species in numerous ways. CITES ( made up of an international group of experts in wildlife management/protection et al) allows these exports and imports and states they are sustainable. Ignorant people in the US (who know nothing or next to nothing on this subject) decide that this should be banned and your president Trump goes along with it. If I am not mistaken your founding fathers, particularly James Madison tried to have a constitution in place to prevent a "tyranny of the majority" which Trump is pandering too....
Yep!! Its called politics, practiced world wide.:rolleyes:

The President didn't just decide to study the issue. If he had, his legacy would be extending the legimate process that Obama initiated; the process that lead to the official acceptance of trophy hunting! But, Trump went further and gave voice to the ignorance of the antihunters. This after seeking endorsement from the owner of Kuiu and similar. :S Bs Flag:

As a political move I think Trump has ingested swamp water. It's ignorance dressed up as policy. My only hope is that the people who hate Trump will now want to defend trophy hunting o_O

Honestly guys, we can't really blame Trump. We (myself included) have lost the battle of shaping the arguement. As Lowry mentioned at the end Elephants being poisoned, they aren't poisoned by hunters or Americans that want to import tusks, this is done by poachers. Even though we hate poachers, probably spend the most money stopping poachers and Lord knows the man hours PHs and outfitters spend working with locals, pulling traps and chasing poachers....we are now lumped in with them. To a majority of Americans (and I guessing Europeans too) we have lost the battle as they have become too far detached from reality and what is happening on the ground. We are too far down the path I am afraid as any attempt to educate is usually shouted down with name calling.

People said the pictures were offensive so we took them down, the conversations were offensive so we stop having them. Throw is a little class warfare from other hunters (only rich guys can do that, why do I care), and we lost, pure and simple.

However, you can still hunt elephants, just can't bring them back. I think most of us hunt for the experience and this is one I recommend everybody do.

"we are now lumped in with them". This! And its very hard to change closed minds.

Honestly guys, we can't really blame Trump. We (myself included) have lost the battle of shaping the arguement. As Lowry mentioned at the end Elephants being poisoned, they aren't poisoned by hunters or Americans that want to import tusks, this is done by poachers. Even though we hate poachers, probably spend the most money stopping poachers and Lord knows the man hours PHs and outfitters spend working with locals, pulling traps and chasing poachers....we are now lumped in with them. To a majority of Americans (and I guessing Europeans too) we have lost the battle as they have become too far detached from reality and what is happening on the ground. We are too far down the path I am afraid as any attempt to educate is usually shouted down with name calling.

People said the pictures were offensive so we took them down, the conversations were offensive so we stop having them. Throw is a little class warfare from other hunters (only rich guys can do that, why do I care), and we lost, pure and simple.

However, you can still hunt elephants, just can't bring them back. I think most of us hunt for the experience and this is one I recommend everybody do.

Very well said.

And I could not agree more with the last part. Bans work only because we let them. If we hung, then the bans have zero impact. Zero.

Geez I hope nobody "hangs" over this Royal!:eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:o_O:D

I usually like Lowry, but like so many in the Beltway, he is clueless when it comes to things outside his usual environs. I sent him an "enlightenment" email..:rolleyes::eek::D

Lowery and those like him could care less about receiving an enlightened email, they believe that they are the only enlightened ones and the rest of us are the great unwashed masses in fly-over country. I am sure he and the rest of the jerks at NRO will be having a good laugh tomorrow at your e-mail. I happen to agree with Sean Hannity about NRO they are part of the swamp and they need to be drained too. But what is really disheartening is the fact that the "conservatives" at NRO are doing what we accuse the progressives and liberals of - not thinking.

Lowery and those like him could care less about receiving an enlightened email, they believe that they are the only enlightened ones and the rest of us are the great unwashed masses in fly-over country. I am sure he and the rest of the jerks at NRO will be having a good laugh tomorrow at your e-mail. I happen to agree with Sean Hannity about NRO they are part of the swamp and they need to be drained too. But what is really disheartening is the fact that the "conservatives" at NRO are doing what we accuse the progressives and liberals of - not thinking.
I doubt he or others will be having a laugh over it, that would presume they read it, though its possible I guess. I have no time for these guys anymore. I believe Lowry was part of that Never Trump thing where they all signed a letter vowing to not vote for him. Guess they would have been happier with Billary or Bernout. I for one could NOT care less what they think.:rolleyes::D

Of course they wanted Bernie or Hillary...that gives them a object to fundraise over. Now Republicans have to govern. Trump has been the most eye opening president of my life because he showed how full of crap the Republicans we're in keeping their campaign promises. With Hillary, how many emails would we all get saying, "we have to stop Hillary, donate now!".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShoshanaHe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross