Trophy shipping costs

Folks, I need some guidance here. I have some taxidermy being done by Splitting Image, and the company they use is Badger Cargo for air freight to the US. Has anyone seen a big difference in crated transport air vs maritime? Also - does anyone have a suggestion on which agent can process out of Atlanta? Thanks!

Folks, I need some guidance here. I have some taxidermy being done by Splitting Image, and the company they use is Badger Cargo for air freight to the US. Has anyone seen a big difference in crated transport air vs maritime? Also - does anyone have a suggestion on which agent can process out of Atlanta? Thanks!

I think Maritime shipments are on hold currently, there was a thread on that. Could be a temporary issue with EOY shipment or a strike?

I have used Coppersmith both times I have imported trophy’s with success. I am sure that’s an option at ATL?

Get a quote on Air, it’s MUCH faster!

I’ve cleared 3 shipments with coppersmiths in Atlanta, they charge around $500 for basic clearance.

I picked up at DFW yesterday and no surprises or Storage fees. Thanks to Coppersmith. Great to do business with again.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's probably right. Mine was 64 kilos from Johannesburg to Chicago and it was $600
JKS who are you using ? I was just quoted for 64 Kilos 814.00 Joburg to Chicago or Denver my choice, Badger Cargo and or Condor Freight same price

Ok, I am going to update this tread with the latest (or lack there of) news on this from earlier in this tread.

As of today, Sept 29, after a couple of calls by me to my importer there has been nothing done. I am not sure where the blame lies here, but I feel at this time that the importer isn't really trying and is just telling me that he is working on this to satisfy me until I give up. I know they say that the importer just has to pass those costs along, but it makes me suspicious to say the least.

I had posted earlier that I wasn't naming the importer but since they have pretty much ghosted me all bets are off. This was done with Tom Kelly of Trophy Shippers. I am not sure if he is still with Trophy Shippers of not, but if I was going to give advice after what has taken place it would be to not use Trophy Shippers and to avoid having trophies shipped through San Francisco.

I had called Trophy Shippers shortly before the original post and was told they seeing what could be done, but they have not communicated anything back so I am assuming my original thought was right that they are blowing me off and I am stuck with the high storage fees caused beyond my control one way or the other. I honestly wanted to believe that they were going to get this corrected when it first happened, but it does not appear that is true. Too bad for somebody with good reviews here, but if/when I ever make back I GUARNTEE you I will not use them for importing trophies.

Reactions: MTA
Who’d you use to ship out of Namibia? I’ve got one coming shortly from there with another coming out of RSA as well.
i used Yellowshark for shipping--went to Chicago and was cleared by Flora and Fauna. very pleased with them both!

Why are people saying that we should avoid San Francisco? I had my last shipment go through there with no issues or storage fees. Used Hunter International Brokerage.

Haven't imported recently, hope to be in the same situation you're in right now in Jan-Feb of 2023 with Splitting Image and Badger. The last two times I did import was 2017 and 2019. Both times the cost savings via maritime was not worth it to me. The cost difference was only a couple hundred dollars.

Can't offer any advice on agents.

Ok, I am going to update this tread with the latest (or lack there of) news on this from earlier in this tread.

As of today, Sept 29, after a couple of calls by me to my importer there has been nothing done. I am not sure where the blame lies here, but I feel at this time that the importer isn't really trying and is just telling me that he is working on this to satisfy me until I give up. I know they say that the importer just has to pass those costs along, but it makes me suspicious to say the least.

I had posted earlier that I wasn't naming the importer but since they have pretty much ghosted me all bets are off. This was done with Tom Kelly of Trophy Shippers. I am not sure if he is still with Trophy Shippers of not, but if I was going to give advice after what has taken place it would be to not use Trophy Shippers and to avoid having trophies shipped through San Francisco.

I had called Trophy Shippers shortly before the original post and was told they seeing what could be done, but they have not communicated anything back so I am assuming my original thought was right that they are blowing me off and I am stuck with the high storage fees caused beyond my control one way or the other. I honestly wanted to believe that they were going to get this corrected when it first happened, but it does not appear that is true. Too bad for somebody with good reviews here, but if/when I ever make back I GUARNTEE you I will not use them for importing trophies.
Man, I'm sorry to hear about all the trouble getting your trophies home. Would be nice if Allan with Trophy Shippers could address these issues.

I just got an email from Lifeform taxidermy, my last 2 hunts from RSA are in one crate ready to be picked up by the shipper.
one pedestal mount kudu and shoulder mount Springbok, 5 shield mounts and almost all the hides, including a Zebra felted.
as I live in N Idaho, I requested it shipped to Seattle or Portland, as I can drive there early morning and be home by evening in my pickup. Hopefully no storage fees, or nightmares. I’ll show the shipping charges once the bleeding stops!

i used Yellowshark for shipping--went to Chicago and was cleared by Flora and Fauna. very pleased with them both!
Thank you, would you use both of them again?

Dang, I'm using trophy shippers and I'm hoping things don't go to hell . Kinda worries me that I talked to Tom Kelly about my shipment but now other people are taking over. I talked to a guy named John who works for trophy shippers now and he couldn't give me a quote for shipping. Tom gave me estimates from time to time. Hopefully it all works out. Shipping of trophies is the biggest fuck around and rip off of everything one has to deal with when hunting Africa.

Dang, I'm using trophy shippers and I'm hoping things don't go to hell . Kinda worries me that I talked to Tom Kelly about my shipment but now other people are taking over. I talked to a guy named John who works for trophy shippers now and he couldn't give me a quote for shipping. Tom gave me estimates from time to time. Hopefully it all works out. Shipping of trophies is the biggest fuck around and rip off of everything one has to deal with when hunting Africa.
My crate got to Atlanta yesterday. Hopefully it clears quickly.

Are they waiting to coordinate a truck for home delivery? Hopefully you will get your crate sooner than later!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlynnHeini

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.