Travel with $$ rifles

Thanks, this is really usefull! Will search for it!
 
If you are afraid to scratch, ding up, or even loose an expensive rifle built for Africa, then sell it and spend the money on a cheaper rifle and use the remaining funds to book hunting trips.

There is no sense (IMO) in owning expensive hunting rifles that you are afraid of devaluing by hunting with them.

Insure it, or be willing to live with damage or theft.

I scratched a $20K Heym DR though 40 miles of thorns and didn't even get the opportunity to use it on my last buffalo hunt in 2021.

Every one of those scratches adds value to the rifle for me!



My wife will probably sell it for $500 when I croak, unless my best friend or son intervenes, so I decided about 10 years ago, that I no longer own any "safe queens".
 
If you are afraid to scratch, ding up, or even loose an expensive rifle built for Africa, then sell it and spend the money on a cheaper rifle and use the remaining funds to book hunting trips.

There is no sense (IMO) in owning expensive hunting rifles that you are afraid of devaluing by hunting with them.

Insure it, or be willing to live with damage or theft.

I scratched a $20K Heym DR though 40 miles of thorns and didn't even get the opportunity to use it on my last buffalo hunt in 2021.

Every one of those scratches adds value to the rifle for me!



My wife will probably sell it for $500 when I croak, unless my best friend or son intervenes, so I decided about 10 years ago, that I no longer own any "safe queens".
If your Heym is chambered in .465 H&H, I'll give you $5K right now for it! LOL
 
I am just curious what the consensus here is. I shoot lefty and that adds to not only the cost of my guns but also their availability. I have guns I would kill to take on trips but find myself almost unwilling to risk losing them in transit. Any of you buy a “lower” end gun to travel with and just admire the Winchester Model 70 Supergrades and Custom Dakotas in the gun rack rather than risk them to Africa and the airlines??

No……heck no…..I buy guns to use them! Those I don’t end up using head off to new owners.
 
If you are afraid to scratch, ding up, or even loose an expensive rifle built for Africa, then sell it and spend the money on a cheaper rifle and use the remaining funds to book hunting trips.

There is no sense (IMO) in owning expensive hunting rifles that you are afraid of devaluing by hunting with them.

Insure it, or be willing to live with damage or theft.

I scratched a $20K Heym DR though 40 miles of thorns and didn't even get the opportunity to use it on my last buffalo hunt in 2021.

Every one of those scratches adds value to the rifle for me!



My wife will probably sell it for $500 when I croak, unless my best friend or son intervenes, so I decided about 10 years ago, that I no longer own any "safe queens".
Lol…love your attitude matches mine
 
Pretty rifles are like a new unblemished car.

Before that first dent or scratch is on it you treat it like a new born baby. But after that dent or scratch anything goes.
 
My son always says he doesn't want to use any of my "fancy" rifles for fear of scratching them (he has fallen more than once and dinged up a few stocks, lol). Even when I point out the myriad dents and scratches I've added while using them, he still protests. Forty years after chipping a piece of the ear off the elk my Grandpa carved when he built my Dad his 30-06, seeing that tiny missing piece of wood brings that deer hunt back to mind.
Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun!
 
I am just curious what the consensus here is. I shoot lefty and that adds to not only the cost of my guns but also their availability. I have guns I would kill to take on trips but find myself almost unwilling to risk losing them in transit. Any of you buy a “lower” end gun to travel with and just admire the Winchester Model 70 Supergrades and Custom Dakotas in the gun rack rather than risk them to Africa and the airlines??

Didnt u buy the nice rifles to use them or just to look at?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,304
Messages
1,572,220
Members
169,510
Latest member
SelenaWick
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top