Travel advice needed - flying through Germany

Mountaineer

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Six of my family will be heading to Namibia from Washington DC in May. We are using United reward points. We were able to book 5 of 6 through Ethiopia, but I can’t seem to get the 6th person a seat. I see flights through Frankfurt and Munich to Windhoek. I’m currently flying Ethiopian Airlines all the way. If I switch to accommodate everyone on the same flight we will be flying Lufthansa and Eurowings. What is everyone’s experience traveling through Germany with guns, do we need permits at each airport, will we need permits for each airline or is there a fee for the guns. Thanks for everyone’s advice.

Mountaineer , for each leg with eurowings there is a fee of 250 euros per rifle. It is à rule of sporting équipement of lufthansa . ;-(

Six of my family will be heading to Namibia from Washington DC in May. We are using United reward points. We were able to book 5 of 6 through Ethiopia, but I can’t seem to get the 6th person a seat. I see flights through Frankfurt and Munich to Windhoek. I’m currently flying Ethiopian Airlines all the way. If I switch to accommodate everyone on the same flight we will be flying Lufthansa and Eurowings. What is everyone’s experience traveling through Germany with guns, do we need permits at each airport, will we need permits for each airline or is there a fee for the guns. Thanks for everyone’s advice.
You must stay on one airline with guns. Oherwise you are in for trouble.

For any travel as complicated as this, I would discuss with Jennifer at Travel Express.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 7.53.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 7.53.14 AM.png
    913.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 7.53.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 7.53.16 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 7.53.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 7.53.18 AM.png
    480.8 KB · Views: 45
I flew this route in May of this year. I can’t speak to firearms process, but you should know that those EuroWings planes are stacked full of seats. Less legroom than any domestic flight I’ve been on, and that was with an upgrade. 11 hours is a long time to be stuck like that!

And you might want to bring your own food on the Eurowings flight.

Although I’m all about saving money, it doesn’t sound like taking this route is a good plan. Thanks to everyone who offered advice. Happy New Years!

You will need a permit for Frankfurt, but not sure about Munich.
You would also need a permit for the Munich airport. Don't remember whether the requirement is the state or the airport, but the permits are issued for entry or transit at that specific airport (i.e., Frankfurt won't issue a permit for travel through Munich and vice-versa). When I went, the permits were free but you want to start the process about 60 days in advance. This is because although all the information needed to apply for the permit can be faxed or emailed to them, the actual approved permit will be mailed to you (snail mail).

Some people will tell you that they didn't need the permit; don't listen to them! Although it's possible that you might be allowed to transit through without them checking the physical permit, they most assuredly have it available electronically, and you don't want to spend your vacation in a German jail cell sorting out the situation.

Agree with others who have posted doubts about this plan. This seems "penny wise, pound foolish". Use a travel agent who handles hunters such as Travel Express or Gracy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AbbyRigby0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you