Traditional arrows

Ghillie up

AH member
Reaction score
Looking at going on my first hunt to Africa this year I'm going to tote the compound but really want to shoot my sarrels longbow. It's 50# at 28 and I draw about 28.75..
My question is what has worked well for everyone?
Arrows, broadheads, gpi, total arrow weight, etc...

the long bow may work well may not some times. Just remember when you draw blood your paying for that animal if you find it or not. I know it will work as I did hunt with one before but it has limits.
I have used my compound bow over in SA though and it is a lot of fun to.

I shot a hoyt at 65lbs with Easton 340fmj and slick trick 100 grain standard head. My arrow/broadhead weigh in at 480 grains. I would say as long as you have a 450 grain arrow you will be good. If eland is on the list maybe try to get to 600 grains but I myself would do it with my regular set up if I came across one and that is all I had.

Make sure to practice shooting for a chair or your knees as being in a blind you may need to sometimes. plus remember all the plains game the vitals are forward and lower they game here in the states. You want to shot lower for sure on all the plains game.

Good luck on your hunt

Thank you.. for the reply my arrow weighs 472 with 18% foc coming out of a 68lb obsession sniper gt. I was curious to which head I wanted to shoot I currently shoot slick trick grizz tricks..

I will tinker with my longbow set up

A good cut on impact broad head like Zwickey, Magnus, or Grizzly etc.. will greatly increase penetration. Try pushing a "chisel type head through some tough leather. Then try a cut on impact head. With the latter you will see little resistance but with faceted style points the shaft will bend a lot before making it through. Dale Karch of 3 Rivers Archery demonstrates this in a video and can be seen on youtube. I think it took over 20 lbs to barely poke a small home in the leather with the faceted point and less than 2lbs with a cut on impact.

Without a doubt shooting 2 blade with my longbow..
I have some massai and samuri from grizzly stick 150gr I usually shoot. Probably going with a easton axis traditional with 75gr insert..

I am going to take my training wheels with me and haven't decided what head I'm shooting with it

A good cut on contact broadhead that is not too wide and arrows about 500 grains total for the 50 lb long bow. I had pass through s on kudu, blue wildebeest, waterbuck, warthog, and blesbok with my traditional set up.

Thanks for the info. I am looking at trying the new micro diameter black eagle instinct traditionals they come standard with a 100gr outsert.. I have shot BE out of my compound and they are extremely tuff. With a 9.4gpi and a 30.5 inch arrow tipped with a 150gr grizzly stick samuri I should be 550 or so

I use 10-12 gpi with my trad bow

For many years 9-10 grains of arrow weight per pound of bow weight was the norm. That formula has served me well for over 40 years including bull moose.

Well I stumbled upon some carbon express piledriver pass thru extreme at academy sporting goods had them on sale for $37 I thought why not.
They are 10.3gpi and come with a 40gr half outsert. I havent found weights that fit in the shaft but plenty that thread in back of outsert. So I threaded a 1 inch stainless screw and cut the head off fitted it just right to give me 75 grains added a 150gr head and cut to 31.25 inches they are tack drivers. Gives me around 570gr total weight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GiuseppeMc

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you