Toughest Scope: Trijicon? Leopold? Others?

Hunt long enough and you will damage a scope. All of my scope issues have been my fault, sans one. I had an older Leupold have issues with a fluid leak (grease) on an internal lens. It was a scope I picked up on a trade rifle. Well outside of warranty. I sent it in, expecting a repair bill and Leupold sent it back, fixed at no charge.

I had an issue with a Zeiss Conquest HD. It appeared, to my eyes, that the chromatic abrasion was terrible at the low end. Zeiss told me it was in spec. Then they told me if I was not happy with it they would give my MSRP credit and would send me a scope of my choice. If I wanted to upgrade, I could pay the difference. Mind you the scope came on a trade rifle, well out of warranty and wasn’t being manufactured at the time.

My point, buy a brand that has a zero questions warranty. You will eventually need it.

On heavy recoil rifles, I only mount Leupold, Swarovski and Trijicon. Not that there aren’t other, but these are what my eyes like.

The Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x24 30mm w/this reticle is my favorite DG rifle scope. The reticle is easy to use as at 1x and it is very easy to get on a moving target after recoil. It requires no batteries and does not ‘halo’ for those with astigmatisms. I prefer the red or green triangle.

4C0F8CDD-D6AB-48A4-8654-2165647AEC71.jpeg

Last edited:
True, Nikon is not making scopes but I bought on Ebay a used Nikon Slughunter to use on a 450 Ackley. Cheap and appeared new

Switching the 1-4 to another rifle is an idea I could explore later. Currently don't have a great place to shoot until someone plows out the road to the shooting range (snowed in).

Good news is I'm moving the a place in the country soon so I should be able to set up and shoot to at least 50 yards to do these types of experiments. Just so we are clear I am concerned about a couple things
1. Is my Leopold 1-4 a bit "sloppy" in holding zero under recoil? Its never been catastrophically off but it has made me wonder a few times. A smaller rifle might not really totally rule that out but it might confirm it IS a problem if it does the same thing on a 308.

2. Is my rifle shifting slightly at unpredictable times due to the normal bumps of a hunting trip? I might site the rifle in and just leave it unprotected in my car trunk for while I drive around a while than check zero before hunting season.

I could probably sleep a bit easier at night if I switched to a NF but again, not really financially feasible right on. If I can't get better luck with a $800 Trijicon I'll keep the Leopold or just go with iron sites only for a bit.
while you wait on the snow plows I would pull the scope and send it to Leupold only cost is the shipping and put a note in to give them an idea what you are seeing and they will go thru the whole thing reset and clean and back to you in 2-3 weeks, don't waste time or ammo let them do it

Bill I would love to know the details of those tests, how they were done and how well the Leopolds faired. Very little concrete information like that is available.

Get the 1-6 Trijicon. 'Have it on a heavy-recoiling 416, pinpoint accuracy and never an issue. the 6x will allow longer shots with the 375 on other game. Some retailers sell demo models that customers have handled in-store or at shows (and still warrantied.) Nikon SMH. Are you going to beat it against rocks? 'Dropped 1 scope hunting sheep years back (Burris-cracked 1 lens, still sighted in, took sheep!) If you drop it on the tundra or safari sands, nothing is going to result if you have caps on it. Son's 1.75-6 Leupold is just as accurate as the Trijicon (dropped that on a tile floor upon purchase-small ding-tie for most accurate DG scope owned after that!) Also never witnessed a quality scope get damaged from heavy recoil (other than loose scopes and smiles on the hunters.)

Last edited:
i have numerous leupolds, and a couple zeiss. the leupolds are on everything from a 22lr to a 416RM. i even have one on my remington 870 12 gauge slug gun i leave up on my family property in minnesota for deer hunting. ive dropped them on hunts in alaska, been sitting in constant pouring rains, and have never had a problem. my dad even took his leupold on his 300WM in alaska on an accidental unplanned swim (slipped and completely submerged) trying to cross the kelly river, and no problems at all. plus leupold has a no questions asked “fix or replace” policy on their scopes. the two zeiss i have i like very much, but i would never hesitate to look at leupold on a rifle no matter how large the caliber. i even have a 1-4x20 QR leupold for my 450 NE i plan on taking for buffalo. i plan on hunting open sights but if i need to “thread the needle” in a large group, the QR will be im my bag if needed. dont hesitate to buy a leupold

I've been selling Leupolds for over 20 years (own more than a few myself). I have had to send one back for a clarity problem (it was actually an owner abuse/stupidity issue, not a scope quality issue). I had my 7/08 with a VXII 3-9 fall off the back of a 4-wheeler at speed. I was amazed that it held it's zero. Having said that, I have a friend that is a dyed in the wool NF SHV fan, I have to agree they are a nice peice of glass. Also have a few friends that I was in the service with that swear by & claim they owe their lives to Trijicons, I personally never owned one, they were adopted after I got out. I would consider one if I wasn't sold on Leupold. One brand I detest is vortex, IMO they are nothing but marketing hype.

Last edited:
Leupold has been my go to for 30 plus years. Recently I have either been super unlucky or their product is not what it used to be. The last two Leupolds I bought new went back within 6 months. The 5HD failed to hold zero first on a hunt (would only shoot 12 inch groups) and leupold fixed it. They have great service. Same scope failed again. They sent a list of parts they put in it. I sold the scope with even trying it again back to the dealer where I bought it. The second a varix3i had focus problems. I could either see the bullseye clearly or the cross hairs, but not both.

Here's one of my Trijicon Accupoint's, that was modified by the U.S. postal service. I sent it back to Trijicon and they said it checked out all ok but wasn't fixable. I have it mounted on one of my varmint rifles and it still is clear, fog free and tracks perfect. It had to take a hell of a whack to do that damage.
Trijicon_damage.png

I have a Leopold Freedom 1-4 on my 375 Ruger and it has worked out well enough. Occasionally it seems the zero wonders a tad, maybe 1 MOA. It is not clear whether this is me or the scope. All I can say is my Leopold 2-7 on a 308 has been more consistent, smaller groups AND it never seems to wonder. If a group opens up because I'm tired and shooting bad it seems more centered just bigger.

Because of this I'm considering a scope upgrade. My 375 is my "bear gun" so I really don't want it to fail me at an bad time.

Does anyone have an opinion about how tough a Leopold is compared to other stuff out there (sub $1000)? Right now an old style Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 looks like the best bet. I like the sleek construction and light weight compared to the tactical style scopes by other companies. The illuminated reticle is not totally necessary but nice.

How do Trijicon Accupoints hold up to recoil and to being bumped into things? I've heard a few good reports. Has anyone broken one? Has anyone had one survive abuse?
First of all you have to look not only At the manufacturer but the line as well. The Freedom is a very cheap price point scope. There is no doubt it could have a problem. I would suggest going up to the VX5 or 6 in 2-12x like I have. If this is a DG rifle you must have the best you can get.
You will find many Trijicon fans out there but it is the one brand that my friends have sent back for repairs more than any other. I know it's "tacticool" but it's not for me on a DG rifle.
PG

From personal experience, i.e. my XP100 dropping off a shooting bench and on to the concrete, Nightforce hands down. There are numerous torture test videos on the web.
Just one:

Manufacturing video:
Good to know.

Philip my understanding was that all the Leopold scopes have the same standards for ruggedness. You just pay more for glass with the higher end versions. Am I wrong?

What's going wrong with your friends Trijicons? I actually liked the sleak design of the Accupoint compared to some of the "tacticool" stuff out there.

its funny about all the talk about what brand holds up the best. Back in the mid 80's I had a .458 Lott built and had not decided on a scope yet so I had a CHEAP 2-7 power Simmons on a .22 rifle so I figured what the heck and put it on that 458 figuring it might last a few shots. guess what? when I pulled and sold the barrel it had been fired over 400 rounds of 400gr bullets at 2610fps and that cheap scope was still hanging in there. I still have it in the gun safe I just can't seem to get rid of it. so you never know what will work. btw Hogpatrol, if that was a Leupold they would have replaced it fyi

You are going to be hard-pressed to beat Leupold. This is a 3rd party anecdote. Guy slipped on a rock and went down hard sheep hunting I believe. Dented the bell of the output objective. They re-zeroed the rifle, which it held, and then went on to kill a sheep at something like 300-400 yds with it.

Had a Trijicon ten mile 5x50x56 loved it very bright scope,when it's late and light is neal mine was like it was still daylight, built like a tank, a few people are turning to the trijicon, F class John on youtube does a Trijicon 5x50 review, and of course the 2.5x10 will be exceptionally clear because of the lower power, but every eye is different.

in 40 years I have only sent one in for repair and it was a target scope with dials for silhouette completion so it was being adjusted a lot. called them explained it way to leave in 4 days for a state shoot and in 3 days it was back totally rebuilt n/c. sent it to them in the mail overnight on a Monday they got it on Tuesday and overnighted it to me and got it on a Wednesday took 2nd place that week with it. since then nothing but Leopold's. was told by them that every scope they torture test from the cheapest to the most expensive have to pass the same test

Have participated in drop tests with many high end scopes............results 1. NF, 2. Leupold, followed by all the rest.............FWB
Were any Trijicon scopes in your tests? I understand their scopes are impact tested and the newer Credo and Tenmile lines have been testing and holding up well.

Its been requested that I come over and post on this subject. While I am not a scope expert by any stretch, I can relate to you my experiences, and preferences. I have always used a scope for all my DG hunting. I used scopes all my life and I have more confidence in being able to hit what I shoot at with a scope than irons or various red dots. But a Dangerous Game Scope is a totally different story. There are requirements they have to meet to be suitable.

One is size. I do not care for 30mm scopes at all, they are large, they are heavy. But one advantage to this is their durability. For many years I felt like the only scope that met my requirements was a 1.5X5 Leupold, either Vari X III or later VX 3. It was (is) a 1 inch tube, light, short, excellent eye relief for big bore rifles that are required for Dangerous Game, and above all excellent "Field of View" for those very close range encounters, 10 yards and in. You want to see an entire lion at 10 yards on low power......not a tan spot!!!!!!

But I had a problem! My Leupolds were not holding up under the pressures and amount of punishment I was dishing out........

Recently, last month in fact, there was another thread here on AH that I was briefly involved in. It has been requested that I bring some of that, here, for you to digest..........

In the next post, I am just simply going to paste and copy some of my experiences........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.