Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
Ok ladies and gents. The first official T of T mule deer is set to leave the shop. I just finished him a couple of minutes ago. I haven't had time to set up a photo booth yet. This is the first deer that I have mounted from beginning to end by myself. The client wanted a special look so I had to do some extensive form modification and I forgot to take a pic of the form before I cut the head off and resculpted it. But here are pics of the process and finished product.
He wanted the deer to look aggressive and stiffened up as if he was displaying to another buck. Please critique and let me know what ya'll think.
After form alteration.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Starting the mounting process through carded and drying.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Starting the finish work
image.jpeg
finished
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Nice!

Is that a house cat in the background? If it is I am afraid to ask the next question! :A Blink:

Erik,

I think it's a great start. Keep it up!

Nice!

Is that a house cat in the background? If it is I am afraid to ask the next question! :A Blink:
Lol that one isn't mine and its a long story on it.

Looks great! Looking forward to seeing more.

Looks good to me Gizmo!

Good job bud, great start.

What a way to start...

Awesome!

IMO- You'd be better off going to Taxidermy.net for a critique :)

Some basics- ear butt shape, nostril placement and stay SOFT !! Rarely do any animals, and especially long hair like mule deer, have any sharp ridges or edges.

keep after it- study your reference

IMO- You'd be better off going to Taxidermy.net for a critique :)

Some basics- ear butt shape, nostril placement and stay SOFT !! Rarely do any animals, and especially long hair like mule deer, have any sharp ridges or edges.

keep after it- study your reference
Thank you. That helps.

Way better then my first one would ever look like if I tried to do one. A few details to work on and that will all come in time. I would tell you to start taking more pictures of deer in the wild as you see them. Then study all the fine details of live deer and work to make them like that.

I think I would have turned his head down some like they do when they are ready for a fight. It would also be a true way to judge by seeing a pic of the animal when he was taken to compare the face to the real deal.

Way better then my first one would ever look like if I tried to do one. A few details to work on and that will all come in time. I would tell you to start taking more pictures of deer in the wild as you see them. Then study all the fine details of live deer and work to make them like that.

I think I would have turned his head down some like they do when they are ready for a fight. It would also be a true way to judge by seeing a pic of the animal when he was taken to compare the face to the real deal.
Thanks Bill, this was difficult for me starting out because the guy didn't have a cape for the deer. He brought in the horns and I used one of my capes that's from a very large very mature deer and his antlers were from a young deer. Then I had to modify the form to get the look he requested. It was a whole lotta firsts in one whack.

OFF to a great start, practice makes perfect. Forrest

Time will help you perfect the craft. True no matter what we are talking about. Your off to a good start in my opinion.

Cool brother... that hide almost looks like it got a wet tan. Looks badass dude

I would be proud to hang him on my wall. Great work to start off.

R.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katlyn74D

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,