www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
Ok ladies and gents. The first official T of T mule deer is set to leave the shop. I just finished him a couple of minutes ago. I haven't had time to set up a photo booth yet. This is the first deer that I have mounted from beginning to end by myself. The client wanted a special look so I had to do some extensive form modification and I forgot to take a pic of the form before I cut the head off and resculpted it. But here are pics of the process and finished product.
He wanted the deer to look aggressive and stiffened up as if he was displaying to another buck. Please critique and let me know what ya'll think.
After form alteration.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Starting the mounting process through carded and drying.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Starting the finish work
image.jpeg
finished
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA

brushmore

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Nice!

Is that a house cat in the background? If it is I am afraid to ask the next question! :A Blink:

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Erik,

I think it's a great start. Keep it up!

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Hunted
Nice!

Is that a house cat in the background? If it is I am afraid to ask the next question! :A Blink:
Lol that one isn't mine and its a long story on it.

rinehart0050

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
Looks great! Looking forward to seeing more.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Looks good to me Gizmo!

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
Good job bud, great start.

siml

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SOUTH AFRICA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, MOZAMBIQUE, ENGLAND, U.S.A
What a way to start...

mdwest

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
Awesome!

buck wild

Silver supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI Brush Country Chapter
Hunted
Kalahari; Limpopo; Mexico; Texas
IMO- You'd be better off going to Taxidermy.net for a critique :)

Some basics- ear butt shape, nostril placement and stay SOFT !! Rarely do any animals, and especially long hair like mule deer, have any sharp ridges or edges.

keep after it- study your reference

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Hunted
IMO- You'd be better off going to Taxidermy.net for a critique :)

Some basics- ear butt shape, nostril placement and stay SOFT !! Rarely do any animals, and especially long hair like mule deer, have any sharp ridges or edges.

keep after it- study your reference
Thank you. That helps.

billc

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
Way better then my first one would ever look like if I tried to do one. A few details to work on and that will all come in time. I would tell you to start taking more pictures of deer in the wild as you see them. Then study all the fine details of live deer and work to make them like that.

I think I would have turned his head down some like they do when they are ready for a fight. It would also be a true way to judge by seeing a pic of the animal when he was taken to compare the face to the real deal.

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Hunted
Way better then my first one would ever look like if I tried to do one. A few details to work on and that will all come in time. I would tell you to start taking more pictures of deer in the wild as you see them. Then study all the fine details of live deer and work to make them like that.

I think I would have turned his head down some like they do when they are ready for a fight. It would also be a true way to judge by seeing a pic of the animal when he was taken to compare the face to the real deal.
Thanks Bill, this was difficult for me starting out because the guy didn't have a cape for the deer. He brought in the horns and I used one of my capes that's from a very large very mature deer and his antlers were from a young deer. Then I had to modify the form to get the look he requested. It was a whole lotta firsts in one whack.

kathy

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
OFF to a great start, practice makes perfect. Forrest

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Time will help you perfect the craft. True no matter what we are talking about. Your off to a good start in my opinion.

BWH

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
USA, Mexico, RSA
Cool brother... that hide almost looks like it got a wet tan. Looks badass dude

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Hunted

Redruff

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Botswana, RSA, Scotland, Canada
I would be proud to hang him on my wall. Great work to start off.

R.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aqwsd4785

Latest profile posts

pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?