Top 10 Beginner African Plains Game

I have a different take on the having a list for a hunt. All goes to the hunters budget and what he can hunt or not. Yes it is nice when you can take what ever Africa shows you but that maybe not in the cards for everyone. Having a budget and doing a list around it is not a bad thing at all.

I know this is hard for some to grasp but not everyone wants to save for an extra year or two before they go. They maybe willing to let some animals walk that we would all die for and maybe take because some can do that.

There is no right or wrong way over picking what you want to do on your trip as long as it works for you and your budget. No list and not watching what you do could lead to a bill you can't pay for and be a whole other problem.

You may have to give in on something to stay in budget but you only know that. With some looking around you can stay in budget I think and do some taxidermy to.

From what I see of your lists of animals you can stay with in the 6500 for animals and day fees.

^what bill said i agree! I passed on a very nice waterbuck bc it wasnt on my list nor did i have a real intrest in one at the time he was always “on the next trip” you can pretty much bank on one animal per day if that helps you plan but u can def get 6-8 game for 6500 plus day fees. Pick what you want and go do it the right outfitter can do that for ya.

I have a different take on the having a list for a hunt. All goes to the hunters budget and what he can hunt or not. Yes it is nice when you can take what ever Africa shows you but that maybe not in the cards for everyone. Having a budget and doing a list around it is not a bad thing at all.

I know this is hard for some to grasp but not everyone wants to save for an extra year or two before they go. They maybe willing to let some animals walk that we would all die for and maybe take because some can do that.

There is no right or wrong way over picking what you want to do on your trip as long as it works for you and your budget. No list and not watching what you do could lead to a bill you can't pay for and be a whole other problem.

You may have to give in on something to stay in budget but you only know that. With some looking around you can stay in budget I think and do some taxidermy to.

From what I see of your lists of animals you can stay with in the 6500 for animals and day fees.
I like having a list because I enjoy the research process almost as much as the actual activity. A list also helps me quantify goals and keeps me focused on what I truly want to accomplish within my budget.

I have at least twice as many animals on my list as I could possibly hope to take on my budget. However, the list and its hierarchy is a huge when it comes to helping me narrow down which areas I may want to hunt in. The sheer number of animals I’d be willing to hunt also gives me and potential outfitters a great deal of flexibility once the boots hit the bushveld.

As I’ve stated in previous posts, my main goals are to return home with a fine impala for a shoulder mount and a zebra for a rug. My top animals I’d love to take beyond that are Nyala, Bushbuck, Kudu and Gemsbok and I could probably afford one of the Kudu or Nyala and perhaps both the Bushbuck and Gemsbok. I’d certainly do a shoulder mount for any one or two I’d be lucky enough to take.

After these, I’d be totally happy to cull a few animals to extend the hunt or maybe take a representative specimen of a less expensive animal or two for euro mounts. Perhaps blesbok or Wildebeest or springbok or warthog...whatever the budget might allow.

I’d have separate budgets for travel and sightseeing and taxidermy down the road. However, I’d very much love to have the taxidermy handled by the outfitter if feasible.

And remember, I plan to have an extra $1,500.00 in cash on hand should I decide on-site to shoot more animals than my budget allows or if I get a chance at a particularly impressive trophy that’s on my list or that I’ve fallen in love with after seeing them in Africa.

Unless you have a ton of preference points, on a general over the counter unit, your best bet is to pack in as far as you can. Then get up and go farther. The farther you get from the crowds, the higher success you will have. I'm going on my first trip to SA this Sept. 4100.00 for 7 days. Kudu, gemsbok, impala and warthog included. Even throwing in airfare, your still a ton cheaper than an average guided elk hunt. I have some friends who are outfitters and they are 6500 to 8500. Which I think is nuts.
With whom are you hunting?

Just be aware that the taxidermy is going to be a lot more than what is quoted to you on the taxidermist price sheet. Taxidermy consists of:

1) Dip and pack (charged by the outfitter)

2) Taxidermy fee

3) Exporter fee

4) Shipping fee

5) Importer fee

6) Possibly shipping fee from importer to your house.

Not sure there is a lot of outfitters that are charging for dip/pack unless they are running a taxidermy shop and you decide to use them for that part. Plus if you do the mounting in Africa you do not need to pay dip/pack.

Britt Beck, since you are hunting with Cruiser Safaris I have a VERY VERY strong suggestion for you. Request or demand if you have to that Hans Moatshe be your PH. Providing you do so, I have no doubt that you will thank me later.

Comparing Africa to hunting elk.
I was very fortunate to kill a nice elk on my first and so far only elk hunt.
elk-1_zpswmkusirt.jpg

BUT, the guy that went with me spent the same money and did not kill one.
Further, a friend of mine has gone on 4 elk hunts and finally killed an elk that was much smaller and thin-horned than mine.
I enjoyed the heck out of my elk hunt and want to do it again. If I got less fat, I would likely enjoy it even more.

I've been to Africa 3 times and there is not a single animal, except a buffalo, that I like more than this elk. But you really can't compare them.
side note: I am probably the only person that's gone to Africa 3 times that hasn't killed a warthog.
If I ever went back, the one animal I would really have to have is a red hartebeest. I really like them, but never got one.

with that said, my list....
1. Red Hartebeest
2. Black Wilderbeest
3. Blue Wilderbeest
4. Gemsbok
5. Zebra
6. Impala
7. Springbok
8. Warthog
9. Kudu
10. Eland

BUT, If I ever go back, I would look at only 3 animals. (edit 4 animals)
1. Cape Buffalo
2. Red Hartebeest
3. Warthog
4. Zebra- (would like another chair)

Attachments

• elk-1_zpswmkusirt.jpg
    elk-1_zpswmkusirt.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
If at all possible, include Kudu in your list, as you will regret having to pass up on one!!
Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala( but MATURE horned),zebra, red Hartbeest,Blue Wildebeest,Warthog,waterbuck, springbok/blesbok, duiker
Your choice of rifles are more than adequate. 6,5 Creedmore is a real favourite of mine.

Not sure there is a lot of outfitters that are charging for dip/pack unless they are running a taxidermy shop and you decide to use them for that part. Plus if you do the mounting in Africa you do not need to pay dip/pack.

I got that part wrong then. Dip and pack is charged by the African taxidermist if he is sending the trophies on to a foreign taxidermist? If the African taxidermist is doing all the work, there is no dip and pack?

correct no dip/pack if the mounting is done in Africa. It becomes a finished product and then ok to come here. Dip/pack is if raw trophy parts are being sent here to be mounted. That is normally handled by the taxidermist not the outfitter.

correct no dip/pack if the mounting is done in Africa. It becomes a finished product and then ok to come here. Dip/pack is if raw trophy parts are being sent here to be mounted. That is normally handled by the taxidermist not the outfitter.
Does that go foe Euro mounts as well?

Does that go foe Euro mounts as well?

Yes that is a finished product and has gone through a process that makes it ok to bring back

So, with all of your help, I am starting to get a feel for what I want to hunt, depending or area chosen.

My new list of animals that could be taken together from one outfitter in one place on a 7-10 day hunt or by hunting one concession for 4-5 days and going to another for 3-5 days.

In order of my preference I'd be looking to take the animals in bold for sure and then using the rest as targets of opportunity.

1. What I would really love to do is take the following five if I could find an outfit that has at least two different areas to do so: Nyala, Bushbuck, Impala, Gemsbok, Springbok

2. East Cape, Limpopo or KzN - Nyala, Bushbuck, Impala, Zebra, Mountain Reedbuck, Grey Duiker

3. Namibia, Kalahari, NW or Karoo - Kudu, Gemsbok, Springbok, Impala, Zebra, Steenbok

I'd still want an Impala no matter where I go, so I suppose one could say that is my #1 animal choice. I think that the combination of beauty of the animal, beauty of the mount and value make it so for me.

I do realize that most people would take Kudu #1 almost regardless of area. While I love Kudu, at the prices they are getting I'd rather have Nyala and I cannot afford both (well, I could, but then I wouldn't have much left for anything else). Heck, even Waterbuck is less expensive than Kudu at some places.

What do you all think of my three final lists?

So, with all of your help, I am starting to get a feel for what I want to hunt, depending or area chosen.

My new list of animals that could be taken together from one outfitter in one place on a 7-10 day hunt or by hunting one concession for 4-5 days and going to another for 3-5 days.

In order of my preference I'd be looking to take the animals in bold for sure and then using the rest as targets of opportunity.

1. What I would really love to do is take the following five if I could find an outfit that has at least two different areas to do so: Nyala, Bushbuck, Impala, Gemsbok, Springbok

2. East Cape, Limpopo or KzN - Nyala, Bushbuck, Impala, Zebra, Mountain Reedbuck, Grey Duiker

3. Namibia, Kalahari, NW or Karoo - Kudu, Gemsbok, Springbok, Impala, Zebra, Steenbok

I'd still want an Impala no matter where I go, so I suppose one could say that is my #1 animal choice. I think that the combination of beauty of the animal, beauty of the mount and value make it so for me.

I do realize that most people would take Kudu #1 almost regardless of area. While I love Kudu, at the prices they are getting I'd rather have Nyala and I cannot afford both (well, I could, but then I wouldn't have much left for anything else). Heck, even Waterbuck is less expensive than Kudu at some places.

What do you all think of my three final lists?
I like your lists, on my first safari I also wanted to take an Impala as my number one critter as they are such an iconic African animal. The Nyala was the reason I went to Africa in the first place after those two it was what Africa offered me. Good luck.

I like your lists, on my first safari I also wanted to take an Impala as my number one critter as they are such an iconic African animal. The Nyala was the reason I went to Africa in the first place after those two it was what Africa offered me. Good luck.
I am the same way. I want an Impala and a Bushbuck and a Nyala. They have always been my dream of Africa.

I'd be totally and completely satisfied with just those three.

There is nothing wrong with your top 5 list. The Greater Kudu is a great trophy but so is the Nyala. Its horns aren't as impressive, but the body coloration is amazing. You could get all 5 of those in South Africa.

But, if you want animals in their original range areas then be aware that the gemsbok is more of a dry country animal. So you would go to Namibia or the Northwest Province for it.

Bushbuck is native to the Eastern Cape, KZN, and northeast Limpopo.

Nyala is native to KZN and the far northeast Limpopo.

Burchell's (plains) zebra is native to East cape, KZN, the Limpopo, and Northwest Province.

Impala's original range was East Cape, KZN, and Limpopo.

Sprinkbok were originally in East Cape, Northwest Province, and Namibia.

So you see there is no one area you can go to get all of those animals in their original, native habitat.

Now, however, they've all been shipped around and you could get them all in any of those areas but it wouldn't feel right to me to shoot nyala in Namibia or Northwest Province or Gemsbok anywhere but Namibia or Northwest Province.

So it's a problem, you see. If you insist on shooting in original areas, I'd be tempted to leave gemsbok and springbok for Namibia, and also take steenbok and kudu there. That would be a good second trip. Another animal to take in Namibia is the Mountain (Hartmann's) zebra.

Duiker is easy, it is native to all those areas. Mountain Reedbuck is native to Namibia and Northwest Province.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with your top 5 list. The Greater Kudu is a great trophy but so is the Nyala. Its horns aren't as impressive, but the body coloration is amazing. You could get all 5 of those in South Africa.

But, if you want animals in their original range areas then be aware that the gemsbok is more of a dry country animal. So you would go to Namibia or the Northwest Province for it.

Bushbuck is native to the Eastern Cape, KZN, and northeast Limpopo.

Nyala is native to KZN and the far northeast Limpopo.

Burchell's (plains) zebra is native to East cape, KZN, the Limpopo, and Northwest Province.

Impala's original range was East Cape, KZN, and Limpopo.

Sprinkbok were originally in East Cape, Northwest Province, and Namibia.

So you see there is no one area you can go to get all of those animals in their original, native habitat.

Now, however, they've all been shipped around and you could get them all in any of those areas but it wouldn't feel right to me to shoot nyala in Namibia or Northwest Province or Gemsbok anywhere but Namibia or Northwest Province.

So it's a problem, you see. If you insist on shooting in original areas, I'd be tempted to leave gemsbok and springbok for Namibia, and also take steenbok and kudu there. That would be a good second trip. Another animal to take in Namibia is the Mountain (Hartmann's) zebra.
This is great information. It is why I’d like to find an outfitter who has concessions in the East Cape/KzN/NE Limpopo as well as the NW province or in the Karoo.

I realize it would add a day of travel time but I think 5-6 days trying for Nyala, Bushbuck and Impala and 2-3 days trying for Gemsbok and Springbok would be fun.

It would also allow me to see and hunt more of the country.

I also realize if I choose Namibia, Nyala and Bushbuck are out of the picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg