To Bridge or Not to Bridge - That is the question....

So ever since I saw this image, I have been enamored with a big bore rifle with a single square bridge action:

View attachment 589529

So I am now in the daunting yet fortunate position to be having my very own 500 Jeffery built.

I was very fortunate to find a barrel with the exact profile I like already fitted with sights etc.
Then by pure luck I was able to find one of the few Vektor Double Square Bridge Magnum Mauser actions.

View attachment 589530

View attachment 589532

So now I am in two minds. do I round the front bridge to make is a Single Square bridge action the way I prefer it, or do I leave it?

The purpose of the bridges is to be able to mount a scope.

It is extremely unlikely that I will ever mount a scope, but it will receive a red dot of sorts (Mounted on the Quarter rib if we can figure it out)

Let me hear from your side?

Single or double square bridge?
Since you’re asking for opinions I would go DB. While you intend to always keep the rifle you never know…having an option of a scope or not to scope is there for a DB while not being there for a SB. Flexibility is always key for me…always nice to have options

Dear Mr @Ontario Hunter,

I cannot answer your question in a meaningful manner.
There is history behind these things.... if you don't know or care for it, it won't make sense.

I have 2 options only:
Keep it DSB or make it SSB.

Removing both bridges is simply NOT NEGOTIABLE
Okay. Sorry, I couldn't immediately grasp there was supposed to be a historical component to your conundrum. So I did some research. The Vector company in RSA is now defunct due to either govt canceling arms contracts after ANC took over and/or very poor business decisions. Quality of magnum actions seems to have been good though I did read one complaint that all calibers above 375 were only 3+1 (I thought true Mauser magnum action clones would be 4+1?).

So you have chosen an action from a now out of action maker that is already becoming scarce and over time will only become more collectable. Seems to me that's the "history" that makes this action special. How much will that historical specialness be devalued if you remove one of the bridges? I'm asking because I don't know. And you plan on installing a red dot sight? That immediately threw me off from any potential historical considerations. Your decision is based on personal asthetics and you have no plans to hunt with a scope so no need for both bridges. But you want it to look as historical as possible ... with a red dot sight mounted. Does it really make any difference whether you keep one or both bridges? From a historical perspective I can't see that it would. The gun will not be historical in any event. So do whatever pleases you the most. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Okay. Sorry, I couldn't immediately grasp there was supposed to be a historical component to your conundrum. So I did some research. The Vector company in RSA is now defunct due to either govt canceling arms contracts after ANC took over and/or very poor business decisions. Quality of magnum actions seems to have been good though I did read one complaint that all calibers above 375 were only 3+1 (I thought true Mauser magnum action clones would be 4+1?).

So you have chosen an action from a now out of action maker that is already becoming scarce and over time will only become more collectable. Seems to me that's the "history" that makes this action special. How much will that historical specialness be devalued if you remove one of the bridges? I'm asking because I don't know. And you plan on installing a red dot sight? That immediately threw me off from any potential historical considerations. Your decision is based on personal asthetics and you have no plans to hunt with a scope so no need for both bridges. But you want it to look as historical as possible ... with a red dot sight mounted. Does it really make any difference whether you keep one or both bridges? From a historical perspective I can't see that it would. The gun will not be historical in any event. So do whatever pleases you the most. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Hi Ontario,

I think it is more a reference or inference to original BG FA’s which were all mainly SSB. Vektor yes is RSA action, used for projects. It is not that much used for historical or nostalgic purposes.

And just to add to my previous recommendation:

I'm a bit envious of your situation, where you have a Vektor magnum Mauser action in the white, and so many possibilities to do things with it! :cool:

Thanks gents, appreciate everyone's comments and thoughts thus far!

Will have to get the quotes and see about the viability of mounting a red dot of my choice on the rear sight.

As much as I love my Aimpoint Micros, they don't add to the looks of the gun :LOL:
But they sure work!!!!

I do like the SSB for sure. But if you want to hold out, you can keep the DSB and have Smithson mounts installed. It will retain the DSB look 100% but provide full functionality for scopes down the road. They are not cheap but awesome. P

So ever since I saw this image, I have been enamored with a big bore rifle with a single square bridge action:

View attachment 589529

So I am now in the daunting yet fortunate position to be having my very own 500 Jeffery built.

I was very fortunate to find a barrel with the exact profile I like already fitted with sights etc.
Then by pure luck I was able to find one of the few Vektor Double Square Bridge Magnum Mauser actions.

View attachment 589530

View attachment 589532

So now I am in two minds. do I round the front bridge to make is a Single Square bridge action the way I prefer it, or do I leave it?

It is extremely unlikely that I will ever mount a scope, but it will receive a red dot of sorts (Mounted on the Quarter rib if we can figure it out)

Make it like you really want it while you still can.

Reactions: DWB

View attachment 589529

View attachment 589530

View attachment 589532

Keep it DSB simple why would you want to remove it???
Do you realise how scarce Vector dsb actions are???
Dom vraag staan in die hoek.....

Keep it DSB simple why would you want to remove it???
Do you realise how scarce Vector dsb actions are???
Dom vraag staan in die hoek.....
Maybe the best course of action would be to swap it with someone who is really looking for a DSB?

Don't really know what that market looks like... Being lefthanded there are sadly so many choices that have already been made for me. M98's, or clones thereof, are few and far between.

I’ll go against the flow. I reckon single….but if you ever want to sell her than expect plenty of whining that it’s not a DSB.

Personally….I’m not brave enough to shoot a scoped 500J. I’ve got enough scars on my head already. As to eyesight….if you can shoot it with iron sights now then there’s no reason why you can’t in your mature years. But you may need some eye surgery. I’m in my mid 60’s and can still shoot iron sights. My SSB is in 416 Rigby and I love her.

This was her first trip to the range.

Vectors are probably a lot scarcer than VEKTOR, but a DSB would be every bit as much scare as a SSB.

Why you ask? Because I think it is damn sexy :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :p

Recknagel, Suhler Contra Claw, and EAW make scope mounts and rings for single square bridge mausers. I have some on an original magnum single square bridge. The Roberts Rigby Big Game used Brno 602 action with front bridge removed.

Just a little bit concerning the history or collectability of the action, I actually bought the barrel from Mr DJ (Casey) Lewis who ran the Vektor project.

I ran the option of rounding the front bridge past him and he had no issue with it as long as it is done properly.

So it is something that was done to achieve a certain look.

But in the end I am all for sound decision making (well most of the time :ROFLMAO:)

If you prefer the look, style, and history of a SSB then do that.

A DSB will have a little broader appeal at resale than the SSB. If that’s the secondary intention, keep that in the back of your mind. I can’t imagine it’s going to be a huge difference.

Your dream, your money, your gun. Build the one you really want!

And I could have bought several left-hand actions but didn't. Now they are all gone :-(

Just a little bit concerning the history or collectability of the action, I actually bought the barrel from Mr DJ (Casey) Lewis who ran the Vektor project.

I ran the option of rounding the front bridge past him and he had no issue with it as long as it is done properly.

So it is something that was done to achieve a certain look.

But in the end I am all for sound decision making (well most of the time :ROFLMAO:)
Does he still have some in stock?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulianneMo

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.