Tipping Guide

I have hunted with guys that have guided myself as there first and only successful mountain goat Hunter who were just getting started in the guide business (I was a bit nervous about that at the start of the hunt but he turned out to be an awesome guy who got me on a 9 inch Billy on day 1 at 100yds for a kill.. .still talk to him often and consider him a good friend) all the way up to a guide / outfitter who does his own guiding and has no assistant guides. I treat all the same as far as tipping goes. If I get good service they get a good tip. So far I have never had a bad encounter on more than my share of hunts. That said my wife and I are taking our first safari in May with Limcroma. No idea who our PH is but if he performs well he will be tipped well. Doesn't matter if it's the owner or the newest PH they have. I like to leave feeling everyone is happy. You never know when you may hunt with them down the road.

Is the main article still a good thing to use when tipping, or should I rise the bar ? Looks like the main article is 10 years old !

Is the main article still a good thing to use when tipping, or should I rise the bar ? Looks like the main article is 10 years old !

This is an ongoing thread that has been added to for the entire lifespan. Jump in right here.

Simple answer is yes jerromes original post is still a great guide and ur good to go if u use that.

My opinion - yes, it does impact the tip. The "West' is mostly responsible for this whole tipping nightmare

I'd say America specifically, we have no tipping culture here and I have never ran into it in any other western country I've visited.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad I read this article. I was thinking $25 - $50 for an 8 day hunt for most of the workers and about 3x that for the PH. I will rebudget on the higher end now. Thank you so much for posting this!

i hate this bullshit mandatory tipping,outfitters are now telling you what you HAVE to tip,BULL SHIT !!!!you tip if you think you got good service,not because somebody tells you have to.i worked 40 years for a company and my wife worked 43 years for the same company and we never got a tip,screw the tips unless they are deserved,your choice.my opinion,wont wast time arguing about it.

In Tanzania, I found the amounts to be a bit low but I guess that’s to be expected since the article is a bit old now.

i hate this bullshit mandatory tipping,outfitters are now telling you what you HAVE to tip,BULL SHIT !!!!you tip if you think you got good service,not because somebody tells you have to.i worked 40 years for a company and my wife worked 43 years for the same company and we never got a tip,screw the tips unless they are deserved,your choice.my opinion,wont wast time arguing about it.

Thanks to having found this site before my first Africa safari, I heeded the advice of those who posted on AH thread tipping guide....

MY understanding/interputation: IF the outfitter requires clients to tip, and how much of tip is expected, Find another outfitter!

Tipping should be as described by others: dependant on the hunters own experience of their hunt, on the animals hunted PG and/or DG , and on how the PH, tracker, and "relevant" staff preformed.

It's reached a point where you're not tipping anymore, you're just paying another fee that is extra, kinda like pickup and drop off charges or rifle rent ect. You are now being the employer and are really paying wages !

It's reached a point where you're not tipping anymore, you're just paying another fee that is extra, kinda like pickup and drop off charges or rifle rent ect. You are now being the employer and are really paying wages !
The folks that come from non-tipping countries are not tipping so this added expense is solely on the active tipping cultures..Americans ECT.

You're stuck between a rock and a hard place; the owners are not paying a fair wage and the employees depend on tips to substitute their earnings. It's gotten pathetic to the point where the owners actually tell clients what they should tip. I have no problem tipping but find it insulting when I'm told what an expected tip should be. My trip this year is a cull hunt so my total cost is relatively inexpensive. By using the percentages provided in this thread my total cost for tips is nominal. I've decided not to use the suggested guidelines and tip according to the service I receive. In short, my PH will be tipped based upon his performance If he gives 110% his tip will reflect it. If he simply goes through the motions his tip will be nominal at best.
If I tipped according to percentage guidelines he'd receive $250-$275. I don't think he'd be happy with $250 for a nine day hunt. That's based on 7% of the total cost of the hunt.

You're stuck between a rock and a hard place; the owners are not paying a fair wage and the employees depend on tips to substitute their earnings. It's gotten pathetic to the point where the owners actually tell clients what they should tip. I have no problem tipping but find it insulting when I'm told what an expected tip should be. My trip this year is a cull hunt so my total cost is relatively inexpensive. By using the percentages provided in this thread my total cost for tips is nominal. I've decided not to use the suggested guidelines and tip according to the service I receive. In short, my PH will be tipped based upon his performance If he gives 110% his tip will reflect it. If he simply goes through the motions his tip will be nominal at best.
If I tipped according to percentage guidelines he'd receive $250-$275. I don't think he'd be happy with $250 for a nine day hunt. That's based on 7% of the total cost of the hunt.
i dont believe we hunters are responsible for the finances,or lack of finances in africa or any where else.

Not to start an argument, but just how hard does the PH have to work on a "Cull Hunt". Basically any animal of the species will do, you aren't having to hunt hard to find that great specimen a guy wants for his wall. What would a PH be able to do that would warrant a tip.

I have done a few cull hunts, I don't take the meat, hide or horns so this is all available to be sold by the PH/outfitter. In reality the Skinner isn't really working for me, he is doing the work to benefit the outfitter. They sell the cape and skins to taxidermy shops to replace ones that may have been damaged on trophy animals, the meat gets sold for between 10 and 100 Rand a pound to a butcher shop or restaurant. A cull Zebra skin can be made into a throw rug and still has significant value. Most cull prices are at least 100% more than what the outfitter is paying the farm for the animal.

Like I said, not trying to start an argument but this tipping stuff has gotten right out of hand. The minimum wage in SA is 100 Rand a day, same wage for working in a field or working on a hunting party. Despite such low wages unemployment is over 50%, so even these relatively low paying jobs have a long list of people looking to do them. The PH typically earn about $250 a day for plains game. To suggest the hunter tip basically 100% of the basic pay rate for a skinner,driver or maid is plain and simply abuse. I agree with a bunch of the other posters on here, it is not the hunters job to make up for the poor pay that the outfitters supply for the PH, Skinners, camp staff etc. We already have nearly mandatory tipping with the "Suggested" tip amounts, except that most Europeans don't fall for it. The more we buy into this the worse it will continue to get.

Last hunt I booked I told the outfitters I was considering up front that I was raised in Europe, didn't believe in tipping and I was not going to tip anybody. He needed to quote me a price high enough to pay all his staff fairly based on what I paid him. I then picked the outfitter based on deal and amenities, reputation etc. Any outfitter that even pushed back a little at this I tossed from the consideration pile right away. I saw zero difference in the hunt provided and the day rate, animal fees etc were exactly the same as what was on their website.

Last edited:
I think the idea that many (not all) outfitters continue to list tips under the not included part of a listed package constitutes an understanding tips are expected. Not right in my eye but hey whatever floats your boat. Do I tip when I feel it's warrented? Absolutely. I sure don't do it because someone told me too and be damned if I do it to fit into some imaginary "norm" group.
At the end of the day I greatly appreciate this thread but my advice is do what you feel is right by YOU because when you are quoted a hunt price they are doing what is right by THEM.

Not to start an argument, but just how hard does the PH have to work on a "Cull Hunt". Basically any animal of the species will do, you aren't having to hunt hard to find that great specimen a guy wants for his wall. What would a PH be able to do that would warrant a tip.

I have done a few cull hunts, I don't take the meat, hide or horns so this is all available to be sold by the PH/outfitter. In reality the Skinner isn't really working for me, he is doing the work to benefit the outfitter. They sell the cape and skins to taxidermy shops to replace ones that may have been damaged on trophy animals, the meat gets sold for between 10 and 100 Rand a pound to a butcher shop or restaurant. A cull Zebra skin can be made into a throw rug and still has significant value. Most cull prices are at least 100% more than what the outfitter is paying the farm for the animal.

Like I said, not trying to start an argument but this tipping stuff has gotten right out of hand. The minimum wage in SA is 100 Rand a day, same wage for working in a field or working on a hunting party. Despite such low wages unemployment is over 50%, so even these relatively low paying jobs have a long list of people looking to do them. The PH typically earn about $250 a day for plains game. To suggest the hunter tip basically 100% of the basic pay rate for a skinner,driver or maid is plain and simply abuse. I agree with a bunch of the other posters on here, it is not the hunters job to make up for the poor pay that the outfitters supply for the PH, Skinners, camp staff etc. We already have nearly mandatory tipping with the "Suggested" tip amounts, except that most Europeans don't fall for it. The more we buy into this the worse it will continue to get.

Last hunt I booked I told the outfitters I was considering up front that I was raised in Europe, didn't believe in tipping and I was not going to tip anybody. He needed to quote me a price high enough to pay all his staff fairly based on what I paid him. I then picked the outfitter based on deal and amenities, reputation etc. Any outfitter that even pushed back a little at this I tossed from the consideration pile right away. I saw zero difference in the hunt provided and the day rate, animal fees etc were exactly the same as what was on their website.
I guess there's a great distinction between cull hunts depending on what you establish for guidelines. First and foremost, all skins and heads are mine to do with as I see fit; the Zebra skin will be made into a throw rug. . Also, all of my cull animals are males or bull animals, no females.
With respect to the hunt, my PH will use his skills to afford me shots at 150 yards or less. I won't accept someone telling me a 400 yard shot is acceptable. In short, my PH is expected to find quality animals that for some reason won't be acceptable as a trophy but otherwise is a respectable specimen. I've spoken with the owner and we have a clear understanding as to what type of animals will be acceptable. Underweight female specimens are not acceptable. Lastly, I find tipping to be a useful tool to achieve the best possible results. If you let your PH know that tipping is discretionary and afforded as a way of expressing satisfaction to a job well done you can accomplish a lot. Telling someone that you simply don't believe in tipping tells them that it's not worth going the extra 10%, that outstanding performance will not be acknowledged.

I guess there's a great distinction between cull hunts depending on what you establish for guidelines. First and foremost, all skins and heads are mine to do with as I see fit; the Zebra skin will be made into a throw rug. . Also, all of my cull animals are males or bull animals, no females.
With respect to the hunt, my PH will use his skills to afford me shots at 150 yards or less. I won't accept someone telling me a 400 yard shot is acceptable. In short, my PH is expected to find quality animals that for some reason won't be acceptable as a trophy but otherwise is a respectable specimen. I've spoken with the owner and we have a clear understanding as to what type of animals will be acceptable. Underweight female specimens are not acceptable. Lastly, I find tipping to be a useful tool to achieve the best possible results. If you let your PH know that tipping is discretionary and afforded as a way of expressing satisfaction to a job well done you can accomplish a lot. Telling someone that you simply don't believe in tipping tells them that it's not worth going the extra 10%, that outstanding performance will not be acknowledged.
every job i ever had required you do the job you were paid to do for the wage you received,never was told if i did better than paid id receive a nice big tip.

Michael D

When I was young I guided big game, birds and fishing. I took a great deal of pride in my work. I would never have half azzed a job. Knowing there would be a fat tip at the end would not have made me work any harder. The client paid good bucks and trusted in me, he deserved my best efforts. Did I appreciate a tip, sure, but it didn't change one damn thing about how hard I was willing to work. The one thing that did affect my perspective was if the client was a real butt wad. If he was rude to the camp staff, never happy no matter how hard you worked for him then you might as well throttle it back a couple of notches. The clients attitude was far more important to me than a tip.

telling someone that you simply don't believe in tipping tells them that it's not worth going the extra 10%, that outstanding performance will not be acknowledged.
In your opinion, do you then believe that those that actually don't have a culture of tipping receive substandard service or At least less effort given?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg