Tipping Guide

What kind of superior service an Uber driver can give, except maybe helping with luggage?
They are just happy to have a big tipper, service will not change.
That was kind of my point. Tipping a cabbie or Uber driver has always made zero sense to me. Very few get out and open doors or the trunk and even fewer help with bags, so outside of driving me to my destination, which I am paying a fairly large fare for already, why would their service warrant a tip.

Just my theory, why do all the other staff get tips if doing a 1:1 hunt? In my opinion should be only the guide but i guess in Africa you got lot of parties involved. For me personally i am not well of in finances as some OS hunters and can not do 10% to 15% but can still offer an amount that will help them out.
1 on 1 does not mean just you and PH. It’s means 1 hunter to 1 PH. There is still support staff. Depending where you hunt, the hunting team will include at least a tracker with you and PH at all times. On wilderness hunts, it will typically be two trackers and a driver at all times as well. The camp staff will consist of a cook, cook’s assistant/waiter, and maid if not a few more.

1 on 1 does not mean just you and PH. It’s means 1 hunter to 1 PH. There is still support staff. Depending where you hunt, the hunting team will include at least a tracker with you and PH at all times. On wilderness hunts, it will typically be two trackers and a driver at all times as well. The camp staff will consist of a cook, cook’s assistant/waiter, and maid if not a few more.

And don’t forget the skinner or skinners, other camp help, etc. It can get to be a 10-12 person deal, all helping in some way to make your hunt as enjoyable and successful as possible.

And don’t forget the skinner or skinners, other camp help, etc. It can get to be a 10-12 person deal, all helping in some way to make your hunt as enjoyable and successful as possible.
Asia hunts seem to be less people involved as in Africa. Got the main guide , assistant guide who are both your skinners , cook in base camp and interpeter.

A question - how much do you tip in a restaurant at home?
I heard that in the USA it's approaching 30%.
Is that true?
Totally crazy if that's the case.
I live in Los Angeles and I've never heard of 30%. 20% is the maximum I've ever seen. I don't tip per percentage. I tip according to the service. If service is great, I leave a great tip. If service is horrible, I have left a penny before. I understand servers in the U.S. live off of their tips but, if you want a good tip, you have to earn it. I don't tip just because it's "customary".

Seems bit of a backlash at last in usa....I don't like the tips selections on the pads when I have been in the USA...especially as said where the server is standing looking at the pad when you are putting in pin and supposedly the tip.....agree with what is said , that it makes you feel pressured into leaving a tip regardless of the quality of service.....and the percentages given as options are ridiculously high.....

If you pay by credit card, tip in cash, I always tip this way, that way I know the server is getting their tip. Also this way you can avoid the pressure of them seeing what you are tipping.

Seems bit of a backlash at last in usa....I don't like the tips selections on the pads when I have been in the USA...especially as said where the server is standing looking at the pad when you are putting in pin and supposedly the tip.....agree with what is said , that it makes you feel pressured into leaving a tip regardless of the quality of service.....and the percentages given as options are ridiculously high.....

SPIKE, can you handle the “pressure” of shooting a charging buff or elephant? I bet you can (not sure if I can?) If so, you can certainly decline to leave a tip or Not feel forced to leave a prescribed amount. In the past 10 years the tipping options here in the US have gotten obnoxious and I gnome them and tip what I Feel is appropriate. Soon, Walmart will be asking fr a tip —- and they make you use “self checkout !!”

SPIKE, can you handle the “pressure” of shooting a charging buff or elephant? I bet you can (not sure if I can?) If so, you can certainly decline to leave a tip or Not feel forced to leave a prescribed amount. In the past 10 years the tipping options here in the US have gotten obnoxious and I gnome them and tip what I Feel is appropriate. Soon, Walmart will be asking fr a tip —- and they make you use “self checkout !!”
I agree. Have gone to zero tip for all, like I posted above. I refuse to be held hostage to the atrocious business practices of these businesses. I plain DON'T CARE how pissed off the waitress is. Toolate for her to do anything about it but scowl. If she had really wanted a tip, she would have worked a whole bunch harder on the front end of the deal where her service would have earned her the tip.

I agree. Have gone to zero tip for all, like I posted above. I refuse to be held hostage to the atrocious business practices of these businesses. I plain DON'T CARE how pissed off the waitress is. Toolate for her to do anything about it but scowl. If she had really wanted a tip, she would have worked a whole bunch harder on the front end of the deal where her service would have earned her the tip.
DEAN2, your method works but only if you Never eat at the same place twice — I’ve worked in Bars & restaurants and You don’t want to know the “revenge” a waiter or bartender can do. I will give a low tip for poor service and No tip only for rude or horrible service — and I’m not ever going back there for multiple reasons.

My tips were close to 12% of the hunt total. Tips were close to 3800% if I remember correctly. I was surprised how extensive the staff went

DEAN2, your method works but only if you Never eat at the same place twice — I’ve worked in Bars & restaurants and You don’t want to know the “revenge” a waiter or bartender can do. I will give a low tip for poor service and No tip only for rude or horrible service — and I’m not ever going back there for multiple reasons.
The places I go all the time, in my home area, I get great service and great food. That is why I go back, and I do tip them becuase of it. That said, I travel a lot and eat in a great many restaurants. It can be many months before I am back in the same restaurant. I have NEVER seen the same server even if I hit the same place again even only a few months later. That is a big part of the problem with their service to start with

Only among millennials who are praying I will pick up the tab for their student loans. Most of them have no money and likely never will. That 200K English degree just isn't providing the traction it once did. They are trying to make a virtue out of stiffing servers.
I take particular pleasure tipping in Canada. It is remarkable how attentive the service is in a hotel bar or neighboring restaurant the second or third time I pull up a stool or chair.

Overturning European culture is a bigger challenge, but I am working on it one server, taxi driver, and porter at a time.

Only among millennials who are praying I will pick up the tab for their student loans. Most of them have no money and likely never will. That 200K English degree just isn't providing the traction it once did. They are trying to make a virtue out of stiffing servers.

I take particular pleasure tipping in Canada. It is remarkable how attentive the service is in a hotel bar or neighboring restaurant the second or third time I pull up a stool or chair.

Overturning European culture is a bigger challenge, but I am working on it one server, taxi driver, and porter at a time. putz.
So proud of you relentless dedication to spreading the American way. In absolute awe of you cultural superiority. What a self entitled PUTZ.

So proud of you relentless dedication to spreading the American way. In absolute awe of you cultural superiority. What a self entitled PUTZ.
Tell you a little secret Dean. I can't remember a single one of those people who didn't genuinely appreciate it. If that is your definition of a "PUTZ" then I'll wear it gladly.

Tell you a little secret Dean. I can't remember a single one of those people who didn't genuinely appreciate it. If that is your definition of a "PUTZ" then I'll wear it gladly.
Of course you will because your cultural superiority knows no bounds. I won't respond to your. further provocations because there is just zero chance any other point of view is ever going to make a dent in your unassailable superiority to the rest of the world. PUTZ X 100.

I hate these machines. Most are at locations that would not have expected a tip before implementing an auto prompt. Or worse, they've made their way to all the sporting event venues where a beer and nachos already cost a weeks pay (OK, that might be a bit dramatic, but you get the point).

It has come to the point thay I have no problem hitting the "no tip" button. I'll leave cash if tip is warranted and earned. I won't do it just because management put in a prompt. ... it would be like leaving a tip for using a self-checkout lane or the automated order kiosks; I'm the one doing the work, I'll tip myself.

But for any service that earns and deserves a tip (such as to my PH on a great hunt or at a quality sit down meal with service), I absolutely will tip accordingly.

Last edited:
Of course you will because your cultural superiority knows no bounds. I won't respond to your. further provocations because there is just zero chance any other point of view is ever going to make a dent in your unassailable superiority to the rest of the world. PUTZ X 100.
Superiority? I'll gladly leave it to you to keep the working class in their proper place. But, you might consider how peculiar it is that you find my personal decisions with respect to rewarding service so offensive to you. Does PUTZ X 100 come with a certificate of some type?

Overturning European culture is a bigger challenge, but I am working on it one server, taxi driver, and porter at a time.
Red Leg.you are from hill country so probably know Po Po restaurant. I tipped with Canadian money there and it didn’t go over well. I actually thought the looneys would be a novelty for her. Oh well , lesson learned.

The places I go all the time, in my home area, I get great service and great food. That is why I go back, and I do tip them becuase of it. That said, I travel a lot and eat in a great many restaurants. It can be many months before I am back in the same restaurant. I have NEVER seen the same server even if I hit the same place again even only a few months later. That is a big part of the problem with their service to start with
Good Point Dean, waiters and servers often don’t give great service to transients because they know they won’t see them again and some customers tip less for same reason. But i still don’t stiff them unless i get treatment that justifies it because I think some still try their best - they get caught up in the “cycle“ too, frustrated that some never tip them regardless of the level of service they provide — so they cop an attitude towards everyone. Hey, we can’t save the World tip x tip, we all just do what we are comfortable with in the moment. I tip more for good service or a very Good Looking Waitress - she could have a lousy attitude and provide rotten service but if she’s “Hot” she gets a great tip - Beauty MUST be rewarded!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillianPet

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.