Thoughts on "Frankenstein" Species?

Daktari

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
US: FL, ME
Hello, what are y'alls thoughts on what I call the "Frankenstein" species such as Golden Wildebeest, Black Impala, etc that were specifically bred for being a different color variation? I feel like it cheapens the beauty that Africa has in bounds and unnecessary.

My thoughts are same. It’s creating an unnatural situation that’s only possible behind a high fence with intensive management. They may be natural color variations but not in the numbers they currently exist. I wouldn’t refer to color variants as a Frankenstein species though. It’s still an impala, a wildebeest, etc however something like a kudu/eland cross is completely unnatural.

Last edited:
I told my PH that next time I want to shoot the springbuck slam, but I'm going to get european mounts.

Hello, what are y'alls thoughts on what I call the "Frankenstein" species such as Golden Wildebeest, Black Impala, etc that were specifically bred for being a different color variation? I feel like it cheapens the beauty that Africa has in bounds and unnecessary.
The Golden Wildebeest should not be included in your list. They are not a "bred" color variant but originally come from the Limpopo river basin adjacent to the Tuli block in Botswana where they roamed naturally in big herds.

I have voiced my PERSONAL view on this is before: I think it cheapens the rarity of a trophy where it was a chance encounter of a colour variation.

The analogy I used was something along the lines of: a coin that is minted as a "collectors" coin has less value to me than finding a collectable coin.

the colour variants occur naturally in many areas, black impala, and all the springbuck too.
certain breeders etc have ensured they are more common now. one thing is for certain they are not mutated, or manufactured, these colours do occur, have always occurred, and will always occur naturally in the wild anyway.

i have seen very dark red stag in europe, i have evn seen pics of white roe buck, and im pretty sure you get colour variations in most species around the world, just as in humans!!!

the colour variants occur naturally in many areas, black impala, and all the springbuck too.
certain breeders etc have ensured they are more common now. one thing is for certain they are not mutated, or manufactured, these colours do occur, have always occurred, and will always occur naturally in the wild anyway.

i have seen very dark red stag in europe, i have evn seen pics of white roe buck, and im pretty sure you get colour variations in most species around the world, just as in humans!!!
Nothing wrong with colour variations. They used to be pretty rare. And the excitement of encountering one naturally in the wild made it a rare trophy that you would hang on the wall with pride and a fond memory of the day you lucked out and were in the right place at the right time... and 99% of hunters would not have one... now it's not a once in a lifetime trophy, it's just a trophy that costs a little more and can be bought on a daily basis.

To each his own but I think the species like golden wildebeest and black impala are neat and offer quality additional, legal opportunities for hunters, if interested. Also, great protein and eating back at the lodge or for the local population.

Apart from the golden wildebeest in Botswana, are there any other ‘native’ locations of the colour variants of other species?
I haven’t really made my mind up about them, but a black springbok does look nice!

Interesting post and responses from PH's in Africa.
In Texas, managed breeding/feeding programs in Texas have resulted in whitetail deer that fit the Frankenstein description. Antlers that have dozens of points spreading in every direction that look like the buck has a dead tree stuck on his head. When I was a teenager we used to call those unusual bucks freaks.
As for the African game color variants, I took a beautiful golden wildebeest last July and a black impala in 2018. I like the variety.

Not for me, as I only have euro-mounts, but for those who like them, why not ?

I was recently offered a white Fallow Deer in Spain, I have seen white wild boars, and yes, they just happen in the wild.

Also any white ones(not albino), white springbuck, duiker, giraffe, kudu, etc. pop up now and again but they are rare and things such as Red Nyala bulls(although unfertile), etc..

Personally I'm more impressed with the common forms. So about the only variation I may have an interest in in the future is an Eastern Cape kudu. And it's frustrating to me to have to deal with a herd of mixed color variations when I'm after the common form and there's as many if not more of the color variations in the herd than the common form.

Actually they are all natural variations and have been observed since Africa was settled. The massive springbuck migrations of years past always included some odd ones. The golden gemsbuck in Namibia, like many color variants, were usually shot by the farmers as they felt they were inferior. So fast forward to today and instead of culling them all as strange, people have chosen to breed them, preserve them, and enjoy them. Attitudes have changed but it seems some have chosen to ignorantly disparage them as something man made. Nothing could be further from the truth.
We should not criticize others for wanting to hunt and enjoy these animals. If folks don’t like them then don’t hunt them!
Regards,
Philip

I would hunt the color phases of antelope etc. They are just the same animal only a different color.

All things being equal, I would rather just encounter the common species since Africa is once every 5-10 years for me. Yes, color varieties occur in the wild but not nearly as often. As @Zambezi said, you can hunt them everyday now. When looking at prospective establishments, I generally do not keep them on the short list once I see color variants available. Just a personal thing, nothing wrong with it per say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross