Thoughts on Craig Boddington?

Again nothing but admiration and respect for him. May I ask how he went bankrupt? He seems so successful
Really not sure, to be honest. He obviously had some sort of inheritance that helped his career grow in size and fame. Also, judging by the number of books he's written it doesn't surprise me that he's been able to go on so many sought-after hunts around the world. Really it's none of my business how he spends his money. The people here may not be very fond of his character but it's exactly the type of person hunting needs to promote the beloved sport.

What is this site’s general opinion on Craig Boddington? I ask this as I’ve rarely seen him being talked out and when he is talked about, people have an oddly negative opinion of him. I’m not sure why, exactly. He doesn’t seem to be very smug (unlike a certain Mark Sullivan) and vast majority of his hunts, at least from what I’ve seen, are fair chase and ethical for the most part. Feel free to give your honest opinion.

Met him at DSC several years ago. After getting his autograph on a book, asked a few questions about safaris, since I was a novice. He answered my questions and even had his assistant walk us to a PH he recommended for our safari. Outstanding gentlemen IMO. Wealth of knowledge in his books.

Haven't met him but I would like to. I have read many articles by him amd have one of his books. Only time I've ever felt he has an agenda is while behind a camera and im sure that is due to corporate overloards.

Haven't met him so cannot say if or if I dont like him on a personal level. Other than that his writings have always seemed on the level.

He obviously had some sort of inheritance that helped his career grow in size and fame.
Inheritance?? Do you know this for a fact or is it pure speculation on your part?

Inheritance?? Do you know this for a fact or is it pure speculation on your part?
I read on another thread about his father being a fairly successful businessman whom passed down much of his wealth to CB. Nothing wrong with that. Of course it is mostly speculation and not that it really matters. I guess I’m sorry if I offended you somehow...

He is lucky to be doing what he loves.
Not everyone can do it or have the personality to pull it off. I'm sure he worked hard to get there but , he is lucky to be doing what he loves.
Successful people are never lucky. He spent his entire lifetime curating the lifestyle he lives. He doesn't owe anybody a thing.

Again nothing but admiration and respect for him. May I ask how he went bankrupt? He seems so successful

While I don’t know for sure, spending approximately 4K a month more than you make may have been a contributing factor. According to his bankruptcy filing.

I agree, him changing his endorsed outfitters list is a bit strange and kinda sad. One example comes to mind when he harvested a monster of an elephant bull in Botswana a few years back. The outfitter was Johan Calitz Safaris which is one of the largest and most respected outfitters on the continent. I plan on going on an elephant safari with him once I’ve saved up enough. However, for some reason CB doesn’t put Johan Calitz on his endorsed outfitters list, this is odd considering he put him on a monster elephant and was extremely respectful throughout the hunt.

Maybe because Johan Calitz does not need to “pay”to be on his endorsement list.

Attachments

• bc_7606_outfitter_sell_sheet_print.pdf
    8.8 MB · Views: 128
Last edited by a moderator:
Successful people are never lucky. He spent his entire lifetime curating the lifestyle he lives. He doesn't owe anybody a thing.
Actually, he owes a great deal indeed to every single creditor, outfitter, and business partner he stiffed through his bankruptcy. And if he hid personal wealth in the process (some very expensive guns for instance) that makes him something else entirely doesn't it.

Those are facts - neither hearsay nor supposition nor rumor.

Of course, none of that has anything to do with his knowledge of firearms or hunting. Indeed, in a perverse sort of way, his financial strategies enable that knowledge.

Last edited:
I keep thinking that any outfitter that will talk smack to his friends and call a female names that aren’t printable on this site behind her back is a man I would not hunt with. I have two daughters-huntresses but not great at it, but they are still willing to try. I’m sure one would love the pampering of an good outfitter while the other would not want it. Either way, good hunters or not, no outfitter better talk stuff about my girls behind my back or anyone elses

@TheWhitetailNut
Tell that to all the people that have been ripped off by so called successful people. Some successes come from fraud but that is just fraud not success. When these types of people go tits up it is usually the little people that suffer.
Bob

@TheWhitetailNut
Tell that to all the people that have been ripped off by so called successful people. Some successes come from fraud but that is just fraud not success. When these types of people go tits up it is usually the little people that suffer.
Bob

Exactly right. A certain American businessman/President comes to mind that so many here will defend hammer and tong but they’ll throw a little guy like CB under the bus for a bankruptcy?

I think you missed the point, I admire he can do what he does. I'm sure many of us would like that career path but we can't do everything. Whether it's location, family dynamics, upbringing, connections, priorities, education , family wealth or health . He has been lucky it worked out. Good for him.
I have worked for successful people, I have had some success in my own right. Nearing 49 I'm thinking I'm pulling out in front now. Bad luck to could turn that to shit pretty quick.
While I don’t know for sure, spending approximately 4K a month more than you make may have been a contributing factor. According to his bankruptcy filing.
That could do it.
It seems like Red Leg knows some background. There's another military man who worked for a living then made his opportunity when he took a chance and made his own luck. If he had shit luck we would not know him in these circles.

I admire successful people but if you shit on good people then going broke is somewhat deserved. It takes away choices, privilege or comfort. If CB blew borrowed money on hunts then went bankrupt that is the wrong thing to do.

What's his net worth?
What's his debt?
What will he have after bankruptcy?
Did he pass off expensive personal items before filing,

Really he does not affect me but I'm betting his best rifles wont be up for auction.

I still say he has been lucky to create the career he has had.

I read on another thread about his father being a fairly successful businessman whom passed down much of his wealth to CB. Nothing wrong with that. Of course it is mostly speculation and not that it really matters. I guess I’m sorry if I offended you somehow...

Oh, you read it on the internet, so it must be right. That's the problem with social media.

Here's a post from CB, where he talks about his dad. It's unclear what line of work he was in or what he left CB, but I think it's worth reading.

Attachments

• 13450778_1136343779737448_6474981408643182215_n.jpg
    13450778_1136343779737448_6474981408643182215_n.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 72
Here we go again! Tall poppy syndrome. No ones perfect. He's not the only source of information if you don't like him. But he has certainly put out a lot of very good information in his books and videos and I certainly thank him for that because it was invaluable in planning my African hunt.

Sure his hands are tied when he has sponsorship obligations but its pretty obvious when that is and it behoves us all to do our own due diligence and take responsibility!

Actually, he owes a great deal indeed to every single creditor, outfitter, and business partner he stiffed through his bankruptcy. And if he hid personal wealth in the process (some very expensive guns for instance) that makes him something else entirely doesn't it.

Of course, none of that has anything to do with his knowledge of firearms or hunting. Indeed, in a perverse sort of way, his financial strategies enable that knowledge.
It is very unlikely he actually owns any expensive firearms. Everyone who has EVER filed for bankruptcy hid personal wealth.

To be clear I do not condone and am not a supporter of bankruptcy at all.

Oh boy. Now you are also a expert and student regarding Craig Boddington on both his personal and business life. Geeeez is there anything that you are not a expert on??
Pretty large man who can discuss another man’s life without walking in his shoes. Very easy to have a one sided conversation when the other man can not respond. Now I suppose you are going to tell us you are best friends with his past business partners??
Craig Boddington was a military man who has a passion like many of us for hunting. Like many of us he started a second career after retirement. He was not trained in his hunting profession like he was in the military. He learned as he went along. Things can change in business arrangements that many times you can not control. Investors take chances ,that is how they make their money.
Craig Boddington has had a full life with many more experiences and adventures than you will dream about. Craig Boddington is not the ruined man you try to make him out to be.
Get off your high horse.

Oh boy. Now you are also a expert and student regarding Craig Boddington on both his personal and business life. Geeeez is there anything that you are not a expert on??
Pretty large man who can discuss another man’s life without walking in his shoes. Very easy to have a one sided conversation when the other man can not respond. Now I suppose you are going to tell us you are best friends with his past business partners??
Craig Boddington was a military man who has a passion like many of us for hunting. Like many of us he started a second career after retirement. He was not trained in his hunting profession like he was in the military. He learned as he went along. Things can change in business arrangements that many times you can not control. Investors take chances ,that is how they make their money.
Craig Boddington has had a full life with many more experiences and adventures than you will dream about. Craig Boddington is not the ruined man you try to make him out to be.
Get off your high horse.
Huh?
I'm not sure how intamately Redleg knows Craig's position but I'm sure he can stand by his statement.
If he is on a high horse then you must be Craig Boddingtons Knight in shining armour.!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg