The shoulder carry

I tried it for like five seconds, but it just felt totally wrong to me

My PH told me of his friend who lost his left arm and his career to a negligently carried 450 or 470. I would say trusting a chamber to be empty is not a good safety messure.

I thought the other difference is a lot of guys in NA carry with a cartridge chambered and the safety on when in the field. I think in RSA the usual carry is an empty chamber, only chambering when on the stalk. I thought that shoulder carry was for those long walks, but with an empty chamber. No?
If I am hunting DG or in an area where DG is common, I carry a round in the chamber and weapon either on safe or uncocked, depending upon the mechanism (my Blasers aren't cocked). I suspect virtually all doubles are loaded while hunting DG. Again, going back to the quail hunting analogy, that is fine as long as the hunter has total control of muzzles and the safety mechanism. That is impossible with a muzzle forward shoulder carry, and particularly if in file with multiple people walking in front.

There are very experienced PHs who do not use the "African carry." Len Taylor uses a muzzle down, left shoulder carry with a sling, which is perfect for carry in the thick stuff. The rifle rides the left side of the body with nothing exposed, and is totally in control. It can also be brought into play in a nanosecond- actually quicker than from the shoulder.

Last edited:
There are very experienced PHs who do not use the "African carry." Len Taylor uses a muzzle down, left shoulder carry with a sling,
This is actually my preference too. I use this moose hunting through very think, swampy crap. I think this is a great carry. I personally found the shoulder carry to be awkward.

Where are the PH'S comments on this one?

I´ve only hunted with one PH who used a double, he used the muzzle forward shoulder carry, but is rifle was unloaded until we closed in on buffalo, and then he had the rifle with both hands in front of his body pointing up and sideways.

I have slings on my bolt rifles and carry them in all manners during the length of the day, including the "African" carry, but always unloaded until I am ready to shoot. My PH´s like that :D

The way Taylor recommended with the sling was to have the sling over one shoulder but the rifle in front of you, muzzle up with your forearm uppermost with your forearm lying along the rifle. When you need the rifle you can drop you right hand to the grip and twist it over and off the shoulder quickly.

The way Taylor recommended with the sling was to have the sling over one shoulder but the rifle in front of you, muzzle up with your forearm uppermost with your forearm lying along the rifle. When you need the rifle you can drop you right hand to the grip and twist it over and off the shoulder quickly.
Which Taylor?

I believe its an African tradition. based on two centuries of hunting with black powder and then later double rifles and heavy express magazine rifles.
It is inherently unsafe if there is a round in the chamber.
I never use a sling as it becomes an incumberence in thick bush and can get caught in all manner of obstacles right when you don't need a delay.
50 - 100 - 200 years ago there was a tracker or gun bearer(s) to carry and maintain the rifles. The paractise of how to use a gun bearer effectively when taking a shot is a lost art but continues in some circles with shotguns. This ties in with the use of a matched pair of doubles. This has been lost as well, due to cost. A matched pair for a gentlemen sportsmen allowed a quick 3rd and 4th shot, and then 5th and 6th shot once the first gun was reloaded (think black powder) and unlimited bag numbers.
I used it in Africa but always went to a port arms when told to by the PH.

I use whatever means is comfortable be it sling or shoulder, cradle, parade, whatever. No matter the position, barrel pointed safely is imperative. Nothing else matters.

Speaking of heavy rifles:

IMG_5376.JPG

The above is Jeff Cooper's criteria. With my Mauser 30-06 (M98), 416 Ruger (Guide Gun) and 458 Lott (Ruger RSM), it can be done, but I'd be lying if I said there's no discomfort with the Lott!

I think about carrying guns a lot in Africa too. I tried the "African carry" and it was never comfortable. Carrying a gun by the sling is ok as long as the barrel is not long, which can be a big problem. I find myself carrying the gun in thick brush with just one hand a lot. It balances well this way. I just switch arms if one gets too tired.

It may have been mentioned before, but I often carry a scoped bolt action upside down one handed, with my fingers thru the opening between scope bottom and closed bolt. Provided of course that you can get your fingers thru that opening. Its easier on the arms than palming the right side up bolt rifle by the floor plate.

I tend not to use a sling and alternate from hand to hand. I sometimes hold the pistol grip in my left hand and lay the forearm back along myleft arm with the barrel pointing behind, off to the side.

I tend not to use a sling and alternate from hand to hand. I sometimes hold the pistol grip in my left hand and lay the forearm back along myleft arm with the barrel pointing behind, off to the side.
What we call the cradle or Dan'l Boone carry.

Having hunted the largest game in very thick cover, I learned quickly that a sling was terrible. When fighting through thick cover, even with the rifle in my hands, the sling was constantly being grabbed and held by thorns and branches. I quickly removed it and went to African shoulder carry. It's far superior in terms of mobility. Muzzle position is manageable and the safety is engaged. I get that it goes against our American sensibilities but it's enormously effective. If we are being honest, hunting truly dangerous game in cover that allows visibility for just a few feet at times isn't something we do to be safe and not take a modicum of risk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.