The shoulder carry

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
This is something that, to me, appears to be wholly unique to Africa. Here in the States, it’s never seen. The same seems to be true of Europe. My assumption is that it's origination, as a common practice, is due to the weight of large bore rifles, that the easiest way to manage such mass over many miles (absent a decent sling, which I tend to detest) is atop the shoulder. Curious. Thoughts?

IMG_5245.JPG

I know everyone seems to do it, and I know this will ruffle some feathers, but I think it is dangerous as hell - particularly with a double where the chambers are almost certainly loaded. If you are the client, because you are number 2 or 3 in line, I guarantee, no matter how careful you are, at some point you will have those barrels pointed between the shoulder blades of your PH or tracker. Once, is too many times - half a dozen times is just asking for an accident. I suspect no one would ever do that while bird hunting with a double. I know it would be the last time I accompanied them after quail. Moreover, the vast majority of clients don't carry a rifle that way at home, so the whole drill is new, making it doubly dangerous. Extremely experienced PHs like Len Taylor and Nick Nolte do use slings. If that is what a hunter habitually does with his deer rifle, then that is what I would urge him to do in Africa with a big bore.

If you are going to do it with loaded chambers, then use something like a Blaser or K-gun which won't be cocked until ready to fire. Depending on a simple sliding safety is asking for a tragedy.

Last edited:
Taylor had his gun bearer carry his rifle like that, but his gunbearer walked in front of him, so Taylor could take the rifle off the gunbearers shoulder in a hurry.

This is the story I'm familiar with. The gunbearer would carry it in this method to keep the rifle (or backup rifle) in the opportune position should it be needed. A quick grab of the rifles wrist and pulling it back made for a quick (albeit not always safe) transition.

That being said....as for now I believe its tradition that keeps it alive possibly more than function.

@Red Leg , I've seen a number of cases wherein muzzles are pointed every which way. But, there's an enormous amount I do not know about any given situation.

When I was young I was taught (trained) that any break-open, be it a double or a single or whatever, is to remain open unless loaded. In other words, you never carry a double closed unless cartridges are resting in the chambers. It's a basic courtesy as anybody in your vicinity doesn't need to wonder...if the action is closed, assume she's loaded (and of course, action open, loaded or not, nothing is going to happen).

I hunt birds almost exclusively with doubles and what you describe is absolutely correct etiquette. Carrying a SxS on your shoulder closed, muzzles forward, would be one of the surest ways I can imagine to not ever be included on a hunt again. It is inherently unsafe, no matter how familiar someone might be with that particular shotgun. How can it be any less so with a relatively unfamiliar rifle in a far more demanding environment? And 99% of those rifles being totted around as number three in line are indeed loaded and is depending upon the safety (which, because of where it is riding, is totally out of control of the hunter) to keep anyone from being shot.

Last edited:
I thought about this quite a bit while tracking eland this year. The brush was far to thick to even consider using a sling because we were constantly ducking under one thing or another. I started out using a standard single handed low carry with my hand at the rifles center of balance. After carrying it this way for quite some time hand fatigue caused me to adapt to a muzzle up, over the shoulder carry with my hand on the pistol grip. This eventually had my wrist cramping so I had to come up with plan C which turned out to be the muzzle down over the shoulder carry. This position did not put any unwanted stress on my hand or wrist. I'm a fanatic about safety so I always carry my rifles with the bolt lifted and the safety on so I was comfortable using this method without fear of a mishap. This also made it easy to reposition the gun while ducking through the brush. So I believe CTDolan is correct in that this is the easiest way to manage a large gun over long hours of tracking.

Every safari hunt I have been on the PH carried his rifle over the shoulder. At first I thought it odd and used my sling as always. However, after having a sling break on a hunt I carried my rifle like the PH carried his and it worked just fine for me.

Yet people aren't killed every day.....you can carry by sling, over the shoulder or by the receiver with your trigger hand; all effective under the right circumstances.

I thought about this quite a bit while tracking eland this year. The brush was far to thick to even consider using a sling because we were constantly ducking under one thing or another. I started out using a standard single handed low carry with my hand at the rifles center of balance. After carrying it this way for quite some time hand fatigue caused me to adapt to a muzzle up, over the shoulder carry with my hand on the pistol grip. This eventually had my wrist cramping so I had to come up with plan C which turned out to be the muzzle down over the shoulder carry. This position did not put any unwanted stress on my hand or wrist. I'm a fanatic about safety so I always carry my rifles with the bolt lifted and the safety on so I was comfortable using this method without fear of a mishap. This also made it easy to reposition the gun while ducking through the brush. So I believe CTDolan is correct in that this is the easiest way to manage a large gun over long hours of tracking.

These are my thoughts, for what they are worth. I was taught, at ATG in Waiouru, in 1984, to carry the SLR L1A1 in my hands and to swap from right-handed carry to left handed carry to ease fatigue. We were also taught, when patrolling in staggered file, to carry (and shoot) the weapon left-handed, when in the right-hand file. This was one of the reasons, apart from poor design and manufacturing quality, that we despised the Steyr AUG upon its introduction; AND yes, the Aussie AUG rifles and spare parts supplied to us were (and still are) of even lower quality.

Sling carry may be a good idea for a client in Africa, in low risk situations, where the staff are carrying rifles in their hands but the ultimate solution, in my mind, is to practise swapping from right-hand to left-hand carry and vice-versa. If you still find that your hand/forearm is cramping, it might be that your rifle stock is a bit too narrow, where you are holding it. In that case, gloves might be sufficient to ease the situation before you go to the extreme of modifying/replacing the stock or changing rifles. It is also possible that a brand new scope with higher magnification may have added a bit too much weight or forced you to carry the rifle slightly further away from your body. Bipods are a disaster, in that respect.

As a carpenter and former TF Royal New Zealand Engineer, I am well aware that hand/arm cramp is a symptom and is more often the result of the manner in which an action is carried out rather than simply being the result of that action.

A similar carry was what "salty" Marines used when carrying their M14s to the Parris Island rifle range. The rifle was held by the gas system, muzzle pointed forward, foreend just in front of the magazine well rested on our shoulder. It wasn't an approved carry and as long as we stayed away from the recruits, so as not to improperly influence them, the Drill Instructors left us be. I guess they figured we had earned the right to carry however we wanted for the remainder of our enlistments.

Sling works great for me with my 20in. barrel rifles

Sling works great for me with my 20in. barrel rifles

No doubt my 20 inch Guide Gun, in 416 Ruger, would be one of the better rifles to hang over the shoulder on a sling as there's precious little barrel extending beyond the barrel band. Further, as with a backquiver full of arrows, it could be maneuvered so as to avoid catching on brush.

But, I've never been a fan of slings. So, I carry the rifle in my hands, alternating my hold to remain strong and keep my muscles fresh. At 8 pounds or so it's no big deal but, nearing 50 years of age and with a 10+ pound 458 Lott in tow, other options may need to be considered.

@CTDolan Some of the older bench-rest shooters have created shopping-trundler style devices BUT you are not even 50 yet, young fella! :D :A Stirring:
Seriously though, I know what you mean, that is about the weight of an SLR with a full 20-round mag.

I think there is a certain amount of "when in Rome . . ."

I have never used the shoulder carry in North America, and I think if I did, someone would tell me not to be a jackass. On the other hand, as has been pointed out, it is used regularly in Africa, by PH's as well as by trackers who may happen to be carrying a rifle. I've done it, and while I make very effort to point the muzzle to the side (I am never the first in the line), I can't swear that I've never covered someone with the muzzle. Having said that, I believe I have a more developed sense of safety than most, if not all, of the trackers I have seen carry weapons.

The presence or absence of a sling may make the gun carrier more or less likely to use the African carry, but that's for convenience. It's got nothing to do with safety.

My conclusion has been that if the PH is ok with it, and you keep safety foremost in mind, then you should feel free to use the shoulder carry. After all, many hunters do, and those in a hunting party who might have been shot by an AD don't seem to have been shot while a rifle was being carried this way, at least during the years I've been paying attention to these things. So if experience is a guide, perhaps it's not so unsafe after all?

I carry over the shoulders when i hunt if i know its going to be a long day and the area is a bit too brushy for slings as i might get stuck in them. Otherwise i use a sling with 2 bands to ease the stress on the shoulder and make it feel more like a backpack.

This is something that, to me, appears to be wholly unique to Africa. Here in the States, it’s never seen. The same seems to be true of Europe. My assumption is that it's origination, as a common practice, is due to the weight of large bore rifles, that the easiest way to manage such mass over many miles (absent a decent sling, which I tend to detest) is atop the shoulder. Curious. Thoughts?

View attachment 194409

I have never seen it it either in Australia.
I personally prefer a soft wide sling.

If the guy in front wants to carry that way, that's fine and that's usually the PH. My gunbearer held my rifle for all of 5 seconds, because someone was covered for all of those 5 seconds. I carried my rifle with a sling when there was room, or cradled to the right or left, or at port arms working through the brush, or other ways at other times. Never on my shoulder with the trigger at the mercy of passing branches. Rats! I could have sworn that safety was on ... Murphy is always on the job, and I am not going to help him.

I thought the other difference is a lot of guys in NA carry with a cartridge chambered and the safety on when in the field. I think in RSA the usual carry is an empty chamber, only chambering when on the stalk. I thought that shoulder carry was for those long walks, but with an empty chamber. No?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg