The "right" solid for Tiny Ten / Cats

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Good morning all,

Next year I have a hunt planned that will mostly focus on the "smaller" cats (such as Serval, Caracal, Genet, etc)and maybe a Diker or Steenbok. I've decided to take my CZ-550 9.3x62 and I had a question about solids. The only factory load solids I have been able to find for it at the Federal Premium Cape-Shok ones that I've put pictures of in this post. The first picture is of them as they come, the second is showing what is under that little green nub at the front. The bad part is that I cannot find any real reviews of them, ballistic gel tests, etc. Does anyone have any experiance with these, and do you think they would do well on the tinier African animals? I do not reload at all, so I'm sort of stuck with factory-load bullets. If you have any suggestions, tips, or if you just want to say "Yea, those will work!" please let me know, and as always thank you for your help!

Federal_Solid.JPG
Under_Plastic.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used the 300 gr Hydro in .375 for most of my small animals to include Suni (as in really small). It is a very similar design. As long as you center them, you should get a 9.3 hole entering and exiting.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 6.31.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 6.31.58 PM.png
    988 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 6.31.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 6.31.59 PM.png
    337 KB · Views: 31
Those will work perfectly, but that is really expensive ammo. The only reason they have the round plastic tip is for feeding properly, that little cup on the end of the solid will expand a little. It works along the same principle as the north fork cup point solids,...of which you can see many results online.

Your other option if you're open to it, is have someone load you some hornady, barnes, or north fork solids you can find the bullets,...Midway USA has your pictured ammo on sale for $137 for 20. Lots of .366 solids for sale on gunbroker for $70 for 50. Depending on the rifle you are using I wouldn't shoot solid brass (swift or barnes) solids down an older rifles tube, especially if its pre-1950's gun.....hornady or north fork is the way to go then

Those will work perfectly, but that is really expensive ammo. The only reason they have the round plastic tip is for feeding properly, that little cup on the end of the solid will expand a little. It works along the same principle as the north fork cup point solids,...of which you can see many results online.

Your other option if you're open to it, is have someone load you some hornady, barnes, or north fork solids you can find the bullets,...Midway USA has your pictured ammo on sale for $137 for 20. Lots of .366 solids for sale on gunbroker for $70 for 50. Depending on the rifle you are using I wouldn't shoot solid brass (swift or barnes) solids down an older rifles tube, especially if its pre-1950's gun.....hornady or north fork is the way to go then
Hey that's a ton of useful information, thank you! I hear you about the price, it's funny though. When I bought these, there were the only ammo I could find and I got them around I want to say $63 a box, still expensive but not too bad. So now I have a decent amount already! And for the soft-points I'll take (just in case, you never know what will wander out of the bush) I'm pretty much using PPU, which is also good to target with. I really appreciate your input!

Normal round nosed jacketed solids cause the least damage. Meplat and.coned or shaped solids can also create a lot of damage

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge, the only currently manufactured factory loaded solid for the 9.3x62mm Mauser, is the Norma 275Gr monolithic solid

Do not forget CEB Solids

I tried the factory Federal 286 gr Hydros and the Norma 275s in my CZ550 9.3X62. Both shot unacceptably high and right compared to my 286 and 300 grain A-Frame reloads. I ended up reloading the Swift Breakaway solids which shoot to the same place as the A-Frames. Just something to watch for.

410 shotgun works extremely well for very small varmints, cats, mongoose, etc. Guide may be able to supply a shotgun for Genets but most 375 solids would work for others listed.

I like using a shotgun at night, lots of fun.

410 shotgun works extremely well for very small varmints, cats, mongoose, etc. Guide may be able to supply a shotgun for Genets but most 375 solids would work for others listed.

I like using a shotgun at night, lots of fun.
This is very, very good advice. I’ve shot duiker and reedbuck with a shotgun loaded with South African Swartklip 35 gram A.A.A.

I have shot both those and the norma 275 in factory ammo a bit expensive though. Both shot well in my rifle. I reload so have developed loads with CEB. That being said sight your rifle with the solids and they will just put a nice .366 hole in the tiny guys. Just remember to NOT hit the shoulder, shoot behind closer to the middle of the animal.

I have shot both those and the norma 275 in factory ammo a bit expensive though. Both shot well in my rifle. I reload so have developed loads with CEB. That being said sight your rifle with the solids and they will just put a nice .366 hole in the tiny guys. Just remember to NOT hit the shoulder, shoot behind closer to the middle of the animal.
I need to remember that last part, hopefully muscle memory doesn't take over!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAr

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!