The Return to ....

Vernal Equinox has been and gone. Yeah, March 20.

Real Spring is coming in the north, just like fall in RSA.

A little chilly today,-1C, with Spike's windchill of -6C,

Success, with good groups out to forty yards.

87 days and counting.

Brick just checked the weather at nearest town to the reserve in zambia and its 26c with real feel of 32c, now thats my idea of wind chill !!!;) going to beat you as schools break up on wed and we heading down there on friday, so will be floating on the kafue :fishing: with a mosi in my hand ....:draught: peteg you gonna come for a visit? :beer:

Sounds like a plan spike

give me a shout when you get here.

Glad I'm not in your shoes Brickburn, Don't know if I could wait that long, Bad enough I have 65 days and a wake-up to go. Heh Heh

Vernal Equinox has been and gone. Yeah, March 20.

Real Spring is coming in the north, just like fall in RSA.

The bow got some fresh air today. Finally.
It had to after being cooped up at inside archery lanes for months.

A little chilly today,-1C, with Spike's windchill of -6C, but we all got some practice in compensating for wind and slopes. Perfect early morning conditioning for a Southern African winter.

Success, with good groups out to forty yards.

Reviewing CITES regulations and other legislation. I found a great resource to help the newbies with animal ID. It is meant to teach Customs and Border Folks what to look for. It is meant to teach someone with NO experience:
Environment Canada - Publications - CITES Identification Guide - Hunting Trophies CITES-12

Found a book on tracking that should provide some new insight.
The-Art-of-Tracking-The-Origin-of-Science-Louis-Liebenberg
http://cybertracker.org/downloads/tracking/The-Art-of-Tracking-The-Origin-of-Science-Louis-Liebenberg.pdf

I also have some new books on the way from Rowland Ward and Safari Press. Study Study Study.

87 days and counting.

Tis the season.
Everyone will start jumping on the big birds and escaping to the hunting grounds soon enough.

Get a tan for me Mike.

With actual melting going on outside, spring fever hit.

I went to the gun show to search for wayward rifles that needed a new home or one that was so spectacular it might force me to be insane enough to change my firearms permits.

Saw brand new CZ 550 in 416 Rigby that was very well priced. Several Nice German Merkels doubles; 375 H&H. Another double rifle chambered in 450/400.
A 470 double that was very pretty with that deep walnut you just have to touch. It had so much steel up front you would have to go to the gym for months just to shoot. Not in balance for me.

All in all not a huge selection of "Africa" guns, but there were a few decent Sako offerings in useful plains game calibers. One .338 WinMag that had me walk in circles a few times. I had no way to check the barrel properly at the show.

The permits will remain unchanged.

On the Africa hunting side, I saw several locals acting as "agents" trying to sell African hunts. I was a little surprised actually as this is not your typical "hunting" trade show.
We did make good use of the photo albums for trophy identification. :)

A gun dealer and a taxidermist, were selling for their friends.
I stopped reading the price list when the Kudu trophy fee started at $3000 USD.
I concluded that AH members are incredibly fortunate as AH has member outfitters offer better value for money, hands down.

Another surprise attendee that was working the community to develop business was African Hunting Shows by African Events. Obviously promoting 2014's shows. Interesting to chat with Birgit.
Home

All in all a great use of a spring afternoon while I pass the time before departure.

Sounds like a good way to spend an afternoon, what made you decide not to get the 338?

Sounds like a good way to spend an afternoon, what made you decide not to get the 338?

A little doubt about the condition of the barrel and there are a few more I'd like to look at that are currently for sale.
No, emergency on my part really.
I do like the caliber.

It's time to see if Montana Sporting Goods stores have any powder and bullets left on the shelves.

Maybe, just maybe, the spring orders are coming in.

I'll get to practice more if I can resupply.

I managed to find some powder & bullets for my .223 at Wholesale & Cabela's. I am hoping they still have the factory stuff I bought for the 300 though.. I see it got discontinued..

Sportsman's Warehouse has supplies for reloading and ammo too. They are limiting order quantities though.

I managed to find some powder & bullets for my .223 at Wholesale & Cabela's. I am hoping they still have the factory stuff I bought for the 300 though.. I see it got discontinued..

Buddy had his 7mm all set up on some Federals loaded with Barnes bullets.... discontinued. It is making his safari preparation a little more eventful. All that effort to find the load shoot it and without notice.. discontinued and no longer available.

It has reinforced my decision to keep reloading.

Sportsman's Warehouse has supplies for reloading and ammo too. They are limiting order quantities though.

Limiting orders is probably the only reason they might have some left.
I'm not looking to short you guys of ammo. :)

I'll take that advice and see what they have in Boseman and Helena. Thanks E.

Federal Premiums with Nosler Accubonds... seem to be discontinued as well. I have 3 boxes saved, but would like to have one more box for practice of the good stuff, and a couple boxes of cheaper stuff just to shoot with. I am going to Edmonton on Sat, & hopefully they have some left, they still had quite a few the last time I was there a couple weeks ago. If not, I'll see what I can do. I just didn't have the time to work loads up before this trip. New rifle & new caliber for me.

Federal Premiums with Nosler Accubonds... seem to be discontinued as well. I have 3 boxes saved, but would like to have one more box for practice of the good stuff, and a couple boxes of cheaper stuff just to shoot with. I am going to Edmonton on Sat, & hopefully they have some left, they still had quite a few the last time I was there a couple weeks ago. If not, I'll see what I can do. I just didn't have the time to work loads up before this trip. New rifle & new caliber for me.

Good luck.

Limiting orders is probably the only reason they might have some left.
I'm not looking to short you guys of ammo. :)

I'll take that advice and see what they have in Boseman and Helena. Thanks E.

Capital Sports and Sportsmans Warehouse in Helena both have supplies. But much of it is being sold as soon as it hits the shelf. Capital's supply of factory ammo was decent. I just picked up some .243 today that had been hard to come by for a while. They had at least 40 boxes of various different loads for the .243 so stock is coming in and staying on the shelf a bit longer now.

Could not stop in Helena so I ended up with one chance in Boseman and this is the result.

Both, the reloading components and the ammunition shelf.

EMPTY.

I am quite glad that I prepared so far ahead.

Shooting practice will involve the .22 and the sticks.

Last edited:
To bad you are not near Edmonton. The Cabelas there still has a decent selection of reloading components, except for some powders.

I managed to get 4 more boxes of the discontiuned ammo for the 300, so I should be able to get a little more practice in. If the snow ever goes away that is.

To bad you are not near Edmonton. The Cabelas there still has a decent selection of reloading components, except for some powders.

I managed to get 4 more boxes of the discontiuned ammo for the 300, so I should be able to get a little more practice in. If the snow ever goes away that is.

Thanks for that information. If I was really desperate I'd be making some more effort and phone calls.

I really expected what I found: Totally picked over shelves and very limited quantities.
I feel for anyone that has not already acquired their ammunition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg