The Problem With A Globalisation

Too many diverse economies, culture, religious and moral beliefs, national attitudes and political ideologies to meld together. Oh......don't forget the people across the globe who believe they are the only ones smart enough to rule....and I do mean rule. There is no common ground to be found in globalization.
 
Too many diverse economies, culture, religious and moral beliefs, national attitudes and political ideologies to meld together. Oh......don't forget the people across the globe who believe they are the only ones smart enough to rule....and I do mean rule. There is no common ground to be found in globalization.
My issue is there aren’t enough differences. It is all too much the same. I wish I could go to places where I feel less comfortable and see things I wouldn’t expect f
 
You save for years, skimping and sacrificing. You book a flight to somewhere twenty thousand miles away. Jetlagged and discombobulated you go through immigration. The advertising billboards show Nike shoes and Channel perfume, the airport is the same concrete and glass of every other international airport in the world. The same carpet squares, the same exact airport benches with armrests. The taxi is a Honda, you pass the Golden Arches on the way to the hotel, there is Pizza on the menu and the house beer is Heineken.

The most popular soft drink in Kazakhstan is Coca-Cola, of course it is. Of the 195 countries in the world, only 10-12 countries sell more of something else. For five of those its Pepsi. Russia, Cuba and North Korea don’t count as they can't get it at all. “I was now in a country utterly different from any I had ever seen before.” Said Karamojo Bell. Well he can’t have written that from the lobby of any of the 9300+ marriott hotels in 144 countries.

Despite a lack of university education and to the surprise of everyone who has letters after their name, I do understand convergent evolution. That disparate animals evolve towards an optimum form to suit the task or the environment. It’s why sharks and dolphins share a similar hydrodynamic form, a tail for propulsion, fins. In a free market it’s also why all smartphones look and function identically. I know why it’s happened, I just wish it hadn’t.

The problem I think with globalisation is homogenisation. It’s hard to find oneself, to adventure, to get a change of perspective when the four corners of the earth look increasingly like your own backyard. The cynic might quote Hemmingway ““You can't get away from yourself by moving from one place to another.” but that’s kinda my point, I want to feel that because I’m in a place so completely different, that I must have changed too. In the office I’m a businessman, doing emails in my work voice. In the mountains I am the same man but at the same time now an adventurer transformed by the choice and followthrough of an adventure. I want that on a bigger scale. Ruark said the same thing of himself, he became a hunter by definition because he was hunting.

The theory behind globalisation is fantastic but each nation/region/city used to have its own bright colour of culture. Foods, fashions, music, smells, accents, identity. But we mixed all the bright vibrant oilpaints on the pallet until we ended up with a muddy brown, thank god it hasn't bled all the way through into every bit of countryside quite yet.

The thing is I’m going through a rich vein of books written before my parents and grandparents time, Days and Nights of Shikar by Mrs Baillie, Kingdom of the Elephant by Temple Perkins, John MacNab by John Buchan, The River runs through it by Norman Maclean, and I am struck by the vibrancy of them all, and how rich the world was pre-globalisation. Now maybe I’m looking at a glamourised past through rose tinted spectacles but it struck me that I’m a half boiled frog reading about how cool the water in the pot used to be and before too long it’ll be too late and even the tibetan monks will stop wearing orange just like the japanese stopped wearing robes and the world will be worse off.

Guess it’s time to stop whining about it and google ‘where has the lowest number of netflix subscriptions per capita’ and book a trip before it’s too late.

View attachment 771036


I get what you are saying. I feel this sometimes too. But I try to remind myself that if things weren't like this, I probably wouldn't be standing halfway around the world to witness it. Before globalization travel halfway around the world wasn't really a thing many people did. They certainly weren't doing it multiple times a year. And when they did do it, they might have to spend weeks on a ship to get to the place vs. a red eye flight across the world in one night.

It does feel the way you described in many large city centers. But once you get into the smaller communities or rural areas it still feels like you are experiencing a different culture.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,335
Messages
1,573,242
Members
169,726
Latest member
FayChecchi
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top