Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NAPHA, SCI, DSC, SAHCA
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, RSA, USA, Hungary
THE IVORY FIRE

What did the prohibition era do to alcohol sales? Or to the pockets of the people distributing it illegally?

Many parallels to be drawn here.... Rather control the commodity, that way you have a MUCH better chance at saving rhino and elephants. Pure stupidity to burn US$ 200 000 000....
13082766_1019877914768514_2825579043938690393_n.jpg

13124709_1019878048101834_6895686883527732965_n.jpg

As I watch social media and the international press and see how the world is applauding Kenya for burning 105 tonnes of Ivory and 1.35 tonnes of Rhino horn at a value of an estimated 200 million US dollars - a few questions come to mind –

1/Will this make the market go away ?
If you remove a huge portion of the supply of any single commodity , gold , beef salmon or tealeaves does this in any way affect the market ?

2/what happens to the market price of any commodity if you remove a huge amount of that commodity ? Again, take out a huge amount of any single commodity - gold , beef salmon or tealeaves one will see the market value increase. An increase in value of ivory or rhinohorn means more money at every level of the already thriving trade.

3/Have any ivory fires in the past had any effect on the market.
The answer is No – so therefore then why do we think doing it again on a bigger scale will have a different effect – do we see the markets in Asia that have infinitely more ivory in stock destroying theirs – or are they rubbing their hands in glee at what will happen to market value?

4/It is estimated that the value of the ivory and horn burned is over 200 million US dollars – what effect could we have on wildlife protection with a budget of 200 million US dollars – that’s the equivalent to an annual salary of 83 000 gamescouts – or 4000 new Toyota landcruisers

5/If a third world country can afford to burn 200 million dollars of a commodity – literally watching the equivalent of 83 000 gamescouts annual salary or the value of 4000 new Toyota Landcruisers go up in smoke and flame – rather than using that money to equip and pay wildlife development and protective agencies what does that tell you about the true value they place on wildlife.

5/while Asia is seen as the marketplace and the “demon” of the elephant and rhino horn trade – could they not , with controlled sales become the very market that gives these two species incredible value – and in turn be the scource of large amiounts of money that could be used in wildlife protection and development that ultimately saves the species from illegal trade and extinction.

6/have we ever in history destroyed any trade by limiting supply of the commodity traded ?

Please like and share this and please feel free to comment on your thoughts – this is a GIANT issue that needs logical reason.

i agree with you Karl, but unfortunately all you have to do is read the comments on the media below these news stories by people, and the vast majority just dont get it and mores the worry never will............

As i have mentioned in another post, i believe the motive behind these spectacles is not to stop the poaching, but to garner the support and more importantly the $$ donations that comes with support from the mass majority of people who do not look past the face value of this into the actual impact and as i mentioned those big $$ donations do not go far when there are a bunch of "fatcats" at the top waiting for the biggest piece of the pie for all their "efforts" to stop poaching.
as long as people do not look past these stunts and look at the actual problems, they will never be solved.
as long as africa is as corrupt as it is old, no spectacle or stunt like this will have the slightest impact on the end result.

105 tonnes go up in smoke. 12 tonnes go out the back door while the world is congratulating them for doing something to help the elephants. 100000 bleeding hearts drawn to the fire like bugs donate money to save the wildlife.

Well put sir. Look what is happening with wacky weed in the US. The state of Colorado is reaping tax dollars off what once went under the table.

I also think Bert is correct. I'm betting this is a cover up also for the ivory that has been sold by government ministers to line their pockets.
It's a stunt for sure!

105 tonnes go up in smoke. 12 tonnes go out the back door while the world is congratulating them for doing something to help the elephants. 100000 bleeding hearts drawn to the fire like bugs donate money to save the wildlife.
Could not have said it better myself! There is always money involved whether you want to believe it or not, the only one suffering here would be the wildlife

Fortunately, Kenya is well positioned financially, and not in need of 200 million dollars for anything

so sad,such a waste to solve nothing.

We have seen this before and will see it again, no matter how STUPID it is, the brains like Leakey are listened to, not those that actually know and understand how things work in the world. Every time this happens I just get p'od big time!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!