The African 3 gun battery

Interesting what they teach in German schools these days.
They do not teach this.....

Today, they teach liberal.

HWL

In any 3-rifle battery going to Africa, two of those rifles need to be:

a 300H&H, loaded hot-n-heavy with 200gn or 220gn bullets;

a .404 Jeffrey, loaded with a 404gn SP or Solid at the original traditional Jeff velocity of 2100fps.

(y)

Take your pick on the third rifle.

:cool:

A pair of Oberndorf M98 in 9,3x62 with peep sight on rear bridge.

10 gauge S/S shotgun, buckshot for those pesky cats.

A pair of Revolvers on my waist.

Last edited:
I will take my Mauser 98 .404, a Win Model 70 .375 H&H, and, if I took a third rifle it would be either a 7mm magnum or a .30-'06. Though I think a good SxS shotgun would see more use as a third weapon.

How does one manage 3 rifles on a multi-species hunt?

I will take my Mauser 98 .404, a Win Model 70 .375 H&H, and, if I took a third rifle it would be either a 7mm magnum or a .30-'06. Though I think a good SxS shotgun would see more use as a third weapon.

Well, following tradition of old seeing that this will be in 1909 (no .375H&H) one would take a heavy, medium and a light caliber. Heavy being .500 and up, medium 9.3 to .500 and light below 9.3.

One doesn’t really manage it. If in DG country you cary a 9.3 at a minimum. Anything lighter is asking for trouble.

One doesn’t really manage it. If in DG country you cary a 9.3 at a minimum. Anything lighter is asking for trouble.
375HH for everything.
7RM or 30-06 for medium to large pg.
6.5CR for small pg.

Pre-1909 rifle calibres I'd take:
470 NE
9.3x62
7x57mm
- and for me that's saying a lot because I love my 30/06 Spr. Of course a 12g, matched to my 470 NE double, would be "de rigueur".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeonardoOy

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….