The African 3 gun battery

404j
30-06
22lr

Well, if only 3:

Plains game - 275 Rigby (Both rifle and chambering) with a cocking piece sight
Dangerous game - 404 Jeffery in a bolt action
Shotgun - Browning Auto 5 (or Maybe an 1897) in 12 bore.

If allowed to push the envelope a little

Winchester 1906 pump action in .22lr
C96 "Broomhandle" Mauser. With the stock come holster ;) Just for in case.

Well, if only 3:

Plains game - 275 Rigby (Both rifle and chambering) with a cocking piece sight
Dangerous game - 404 Jeffery in a bolt action
Shotgun - Browning Auto 5 (or Maybe an 1897) in 12 bore.

If allowed to push the envelope a little

Winchester 1906 pump action in .22lr
C96 "Broomhandle" Mauser. With the stock come holster ;) Just for in case.
Churchill used a C96 in Africa. So you may be on to something.

Churchill used a C96 in Africa. So you may be on to something.
One of the most important firearms in history....

The Pistol that saved his life..... and in the further course he destroyed two empires.

The German and the British.....

HWL

If I were going on an African full bag Safari in 1909 and were limited to just three firearms ( all inclusive ), then I’d take:
A. Best Grade Westley Richards Mauser M98 Action Magazine Rifle In .425 Nitro Express
B. Griffin & Howe Custom Springfield M1903 Sporter in .30-06 Springfield
C. Best Grade James Purdey & Co. 12 Gauge ( 3 “ Paper Cased Magnum ) Sidelock Ejector Wildfowling Model

I get a little surprised how many people often overlook to add a shotgun to their African batteries. Africa has some of the finest wing shooting opportunities for the avid bird hunter. From crested francolin to guinea fowl to the huge spurwing goose.

Cape gun in 16ga and 7x57R
9.3x62
404 jeff
8 bore double rifle

Lee-Speed .303
Mauser 98 9.3x62
Dan'l Fraser falling-block .450 Nitro Express

Also a Winchester 1887 or 1897 shotgun plus a Webley W.G. .455 or Remington 1875 .44WCF.

One of the most important firearms in history....

The Pistol that saved his life..... and in the further course he destroyed two empires.

The German and the British.....

HWL
How was Churchill responsible for the end of the British Empire?

After two costly, consecutive, world wars I think the BE was going to end regardless of who was PM.

Last edited:
How was Churchill responsible for the end of the British Empire?

After two costly, consecutive, world wars I think the BE was going to end regardless of who was PM.
Sometimes it needs some fantasy to think the unthinkable......

Churchill did not learned the lessons of WWI and waged another .... so he not even finished the Empire but created the Soviet Union as a superpower.

In the end he realized it himself and said.... "we slaughtered the wrong pig".

The world could look different today.

HWL

Churchill did not learned the lessons of WWI and waged another .... so he not even finished the Empire but created the Soviet Union as a superpower.
Interesting what they teach in German schools these days.

Well, the Allies got taken to the cleaners by the Soviets after WW II when they were divvying up the world. So, there is a lot of truth to that.
The harsh reality of the world is that destroying one evil always inadvertently culminates in giving birth to another. Destroy Imperial Germany and the Nazis ( and fascism ) took their place. Destroy the Nazis and the Soviet Union (and communism) took their place. And by helping Afghanistan from warding off the Soviet invasion, they inadvertently created the Taliban ( and unleashed Islamic terrorism on the rest of the world ). We ( East Bengal ) took the help of the Indians to win our war of independence from Pakistan and it's oppression in 1971... Only for India to become our new oppressors ( and arguably become worse than anything the Pakistanis could ever be). And treat us like one of their colonies in every way except by name.

Old powers crumble and new powers rise up. But evil never dies.

Last edited:
Well, the Allies got taken to the cleaners by the Soviets after WW II when they were divvying up the world. So, there is a lot of truth to that.

WWII started in September 1939 when Germany invaded Poland. Churchill was made Prime Minister in May 1940. He was a war time PM. It is a joke to say he ignored lessons of WWI. WWII was ongoing when he gained PM.

Churchill was voted out of office in July 1945. He had nothing to do with Potsdam in August of 1945, or the dividing up of Europe. Here is a photo of the big three at Potsdam. Do you see Churchill anywhere among them.

History these days are revisionist enough without boomers trying to change things they should have learned by 9th grade.

1632591616679.png

PS: I am not British nor do I have some massive infatuation with Churchill. Just the truth.

Last edited:
9.3x62 Rigby Mauser 98 (lots of solids for little stuff, lots of a around and bloody effective).

450NE Rigby Rising bite best double

12g Holland Royal paradox gun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg