The 9,3x74R...have any of you used it to take DG..?

You need enough impact velocity for these modern expansion bullets, which is not always guaranteed with this marginal cartridges.

Respectfully, I do not follow. Why would a modern soft that falls to expand be less effective than a solid that also does not expand? Assuming same impact velocity.

Respectfully, I do not follow. Why would a modern soft that falls to expand be less effective than a solid that also does not expand? Assuming same impact velocity.
I believe he is referring to the modern monometal expanding bullets like Barnes TSX which often need relatively high velocities in order to expand properly.

Buffalo I think a 9,3x74r with a SP out to 100 meters would be bueno
and probably fine with a monolithic ( ttsx) according to load data
but I would hunt buffalo with a 35whelen if legally allowed
IMG_0356.png

IMG_0355.png

@grand veneur In my 9.3x74 double the 300gr aframes shoot to perfect regulation at 2380fps. I shot a eland at 75 meters with it. The hit was 1/3 way up the shoulder, broke the shoulder, destroyed the heart and holes in both lungs, went through the scapula on the off side and was perfectly mushroomed just like a swift commercial add. I would hunt buffalo out to 100 with my double with no reservations. That being said I believe that my 500/416 is a better option in the doubles in my safe.

I shot three very large water Buffalo in Australia with a 375 H&H and 300gr TSX running 2450fps at the muzzle. All bullets penetrated and expanded adequately on all three bulls. This is very close to 9.3x74r ballistics, and I never felt undergunned at all.
That is exactly the load I sighted in earlier this week for my 375. Taking it to Africa in 3 weeks for buffalo and croc. Good to hear how effective it was on the bigger bodied Oz buffalo.

I have seen a 9.3x62 make short work of a buffalo in the Zambezi valley. A good friend who is a PH uses a 9.3x74 double for his personal hunting (not backup), and has taken a number of elephant with it. I would not hesitate on buffalo. Elephant…

Great caliber for Buffalo and plains game and so is the 9.3x62. Had a client a few years back that used used a Ruger no1 in 9.3x74. He was the most competent shot with that little Ruger.

He killed everything we hunted with one shot because he knew where to put the bullets…
I’d take a client like that, armed with a 9.3x74 or 9.3x62 on a Buffalo or Elephant hunt any day of the week.

I just took 3 monster bulls in Australia with my Rigby in 9.3X62 using 320 grain Woodleighs. It's an absolutely fantastic cartridge, I only bought my first 9.3X62 rifle less than a year ago but I can honestly say it is now my favourite cartridge of all time, I wish I had picked one up earlier in life. Will definitely be considering a double in the rimmed 9.3X74R at some point in time.

So the question is which countrys let you use it on Buff and other DG?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaniaMorfo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!