The .41 magnum

Jamesfromjersey

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member: SCI- NRA- NAHC- Reg.Member: Handgun Hunters Assoc. of South Africa #67- HHI #2900- FACA- SWCA- CCA- RCA
Hunted
South Africa
FA`s 41 and 475 025.jpg

I`ve always had a interest in the 41mag but with the 44 there was no rush to get one. I then had a 41 barrel and cylinder fitted to a mod 29 frame and was pleasently surprised with the results. Then I purchased the late model 657 by S&W, which has a 7 1/2" barrel and solid cylinder. My next 41 was a 10" barrel model 83 by Freedom Arms
through which I fired some handloads worked up by American gun writer John Taffin and listed in the Freedom Arms Collector Assoc. journal. These handloads pushed a 210gr XTP at 1700+fps with excellent accuracy.The XTP is a great bullet but with the introduction , by Swift, of a 210gr A-frame, partition type bullet puts the 41 into a higher catagory of game taking or at least a higher sense of confidence in the caliber and weight.One of the attached pictures shows a recovered 210gr XTP from a close range shot on a large boar that held together despite the high MV and size of the animal taken.There is another photo (showing a single expanded bullet) of a 210gr Swift A-frame that was also shot into a large boar with the same handload from the same gun. Both bullets worked, however, the Swift shows picture perfect expansion plus the fact that , because of the partition, the bullet will continue without any more weight loss.The bottom line is that since I`ve reached 61 its nice to have a accurate gun that will take medium game out to 125yds without having the blast and kick of a 454 or even a 44....

A-frame 003.jpg tioga & 41 056.jpg new pics 011.jpg

I had a 41 mag years ago in a Dan Wesson which I used for handgun Silhouette. It was a nice shooting gun - one that I traded for a 44 mag. Man I wish I would have never made that trade! The recoil was nicer and it plain felt better in the hand.

I consider them (41 and 44 mag) in the same level of performance, if you are not a reloader is a litle bit harder to feed a 41 mag revolver.

View attachment 9998

I`ve always had a interest in the 41mag but with the 44 there was no rush to get one. I then had a 41 barrel and cylinder fitted to a mod 29 frame and was pleasently surprised with the results. Then I purchased the late model 657 by S&W, which has a 7 1/2" barrel and solid cylinder. My next 41 was a 10" barrel model 83 by Freedom Arms
through which I fired some handloads worked up by American gun writer John Taffin and listed in the Freedom Arms Collector Assoc. journal. These handloads pushed a 210gr XTP at 1700+fps with excellent accuracy.The XTP is a great bullet but with the introduction , by Swift, of a 210gr A-frame, partition type bullet puts the 41 into a higher catagory of game taking or at least a higher sense of confidence in the caliber and weight.One of the attached pictures shows a recovered 210gr XTP from a close range shot on a large boar that held together despite the high MV and size of the animal taken.There is another photo (showing a single expanded bullet) of a 210gr Swift A-frame that was also shot into a large boar with the same handload from the same gun. Both bullets worked, however, the Swift shows picture perfect expansion plus the fact that , because of the partition, the bullet will continue without any more weight loss.The bottom line is that since I`ve reached 61 its nice to have a accurate gun that will take medium game out to 125yds without having the blast and kick of a 454 or even a 44....

View attachment 10001 View attachment 10000 View attachment 9999
Very nice looking Pistoleros

I've been associated with the 41 mag for a loooong time. I always called it the 20-20 gun. 20% more than a 357 mag, and 20% less than a 44 mag. It's always been my favorite mag caliber. Now If I could find a ruger redhawk stainless with 5 1/2 barrel in 41 mag near mint, I would be happy.

I had an 8 3/8" Model 57 in the 70's and 80's and liked shooting it and used to to hunt with. When my Ex went it followed her out the door along with 8-10 rifles.

I sure miss that gun.

If I'm not mistaken, the San Antonio Police Department carried the 41 mag, before they switched to the Glock 40 S&W back in the early 90's? A magnum like the 41 would never be considered for the police departments today. Too heavy, too much recoil, and not enough rounds before a required reload. Even the 40 comes under fire from the smaller officers complaining about recoil and weight, they'd probably carry a 380 if they were allowed to just because it's 'more comfortable' to carry and shoot.

Always liked the 41Mag and I always keep my eye open for one

That M29 .41 Mg would make a nice companion to a .405 Winchester which will also use the 210 bullets for small game and plinking.

Shortly after my wife and I married we lived in Eugene,OR. I went to the hardware store and saw a Ruger Blackhawk 41 with a 4" barrel. I thought about it but was unsure of our limited budget. A few weeks later I had gotten funds to purchase it I returned to the store but the gun was gone - or so I thought. this was in 1974 and it was a 3 screw instead of the recent New Model. It turned out the gun was actually under the counter but I didn't learn that until after someone had bid the price up and it was sold. I never did get a 41- oh well...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you