The .41 magnum

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Jamesfromjersey, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Jamesfromjersey

Jamesfromjersey AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member: SCI- NRA- NAHC- Reg.Member: Handgun Hunters Assoc. of South Africa #67- HHI #2900- FACA- SWCA- CCA- RCA
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    FA`s 41 and 475 025.jpg

I`ve always had a interest in the 41mag but with the 44 there was no rush to get one. I then had a 41 barrel and cylinder fitted to a mod 29 frame and was pleasently surprised with the results. Then I purchased the late model 657 by S&W, which has a 7 1/2" barrel and solid cylinder. My next 41 was a 10" barrel model 83 by Freedom Arms
    through which I fired some handloads worked up by American gun writer John Taffin and listed in the Freedom Arms Collector Assoc. journal. These handloads pushed a 210gr XTP at 1700+fps with excellent accuracy.The XTP is a great bullet but with the introduction , by Swift, of a 210gr A-frame, partition type bullet puts the 41 into a higher catagory of game taking or at least a higher sense of confidence in the caliber and weight.One of the attached pictures shows a recovered 210gr XTP from a close range shot on a large boar that held together despite the high MV and size of the animal taken.There is another photo (showing a single expanded bullet) of a 210gr Swift A-frame that was also shot into a large boar with the same handload from the same gun. Both bullets worked, however, the Swift shows picture perfect expansion plus the fact that , because of the partition, the bullet will continue without any more weight loss.The bottom line is that since I`ve reached 61 its nice to have a accurate gun that will take medium game out to 125yds without having the blast and kick of a 454 or even a 44....

A-frame 003.jpg tioga & 41 056.jpg new pics 011.jpg

2. Calhoun

Calhoun AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI N.E. Wisconsin Chapter - WisNRA
    I had a 41 mag years ago in a Dan Wesson which I used for handgun Silhouette. It was a nice shooting gun - one that I traded for a 44 mag. Man I wish I would have never made that trade! The recoil was nicer and it plain felt better in the hand.

3. Rob404

Rob404 AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa

4. Poucher

Poucher AH Member

I consider them (41 and 44 mag) in the same level of performance, if you are not a reloader is a litle bit harder to feed a 41 mag revolver.

5. larry4831

larry4831 AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    NRA
    Very nice looking Pistoleros

6. Heym 88

Heym 88 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC
    Hunted:
    US
    I've been associated with the 41 mag for a loooong time. I always called it the 20-20 gun. 20% more than a 357 mag, and 20% less than a 44 mag. It's always been my favorite mag caliber. Now If I could find a ruger redhawk stainless with 5 1/2 barrel in 41 mag near mint, I would be happy.

7. Rob404

Rob404 AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa

8. ack

ack AH Enthusiast

Very nice