The 243 Winchester for Australian Game

@CBH Australia
Chris @Dr Ray is a,Queenslander and a Sako lover as well.
He probably thinks QLD is going to win the next state of origin.
We still love him despite those faults as well as being a 270 tragic.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

I think I’ll put a peg on your tongue!
Qld Will win

@CBH Australia
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

I’ve used a 35 but for deer sized animals I’ll use my 270 or 308.
After that I’ll use my 416.
I have a 338 but have hardly been anywhere since covid arrived.
I was given an old 30/30 Winchester. Had my long suffering gunsmith modify the trigger to 1.75 pounds. A slight rust in barrel but it’ll be fine soon. It’s scoped 3-9x40 and side-ejection
.problem is when I go buff consulting I carry the 416 as it’s too awkward carrying more as I go by plane.
I was supposed to be in Tasmania today for a fallow deer hunt (270 of course)
Trying to organize a buff hunt in either June or September.
Probably on Tiwi islands (north side) or Katherine. Been there before and where I hunted it was fairly thick forest country. 426 country!!

@rdog
Nobody knocks the classic 6.5x55
I formed an opinion that a .260 can actually do all they claim a ManBun can do but it's Just not a ManBun.
Please affirm the .260 is a winner.

Soon the man bun will be as common as muck as the .308.

Thing is what some of the ManBun followers believe is ludicrous.
The 260 REM is a great cartridge, a lot of shooters are not aware of it, blinded by the 6.5 CM bull shit. the 7mm/o8 is
another good one.

@CBH Australia
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

And my 270 is a S/S Sako (Swarovski scope) and my 308 is a Kimber (night force scope) w a fluted S/S barrel.

I’m not a 270 tragic (been called by CBH. I think) as a 270 junkie
I used a number of 30/06s for long time but; prefer my 270.
I must be an earth angel

The only reason Bob would have to shower after coming in from the plantation is to wash off all the 35 & 25 bull shit

And to remove the peg I put on his tongue

The only reason Bob would have to shower after coming in from the plantation is to wash off all the 35 & 25 bull shit
@rdog
I very rarely venture into the plantation as the ex 243 owners are more than willing to do the work for a day or two whilst learning the virtues of the 25s, 35s and the 6.5x55 and how they have been duped for years buy advertising.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

And my 270 is a S/S Sako (Swarovski scope) and my 308 is a Kimber (night force scope) w a fluted S/S barrel.

I’m not a 270 tragic (been called by CBH. I think) as a 270 junkie
I used a number of 30/06s for long time but; prefer my 270.
I must be an earth angel
Dear Dr,
Please remind me we here I used the term junkie!
I will stand corrected if wrong.
Im a a staunch supporter of all my Aussie counterparts,
I have mentioned your passion for the .270
I'm here for you and Sako supporters,

Dear Dr,

It’s all good
Ta

Dear Dr,

I’m proud to be a 270 lover/junkie

The Barnes 80gr TTSX is a WONDERFUL bullet that gives the flat shooting properties of a varmint weight bullet with the physical volume of a 105gr lead-core bullet. It opens correctly in animals in that 150lb-450lb range.

The .243 is so under appreciated. In an amateurs hands, it is a PERFECT weapon for antelope, all North American deer, bear, and cow elk.

In a master’s hands, neck or head shots for culling would allow it to easily take 1000lb animals with consistency.

I’ll never understand the desire to sh&t on the .243. While people will sneer at the notion of using it for various, reasonable applications, those same people wouldn’t say a darned thing if the shooter was using a $15,000 best-grade H&H in 240 Apex for the same applications. (Chital, Fallow, etc.).

Their are a lot of naysayers that haven’t ever used a .243, and deride it as long as the day is long.

There’s an old saying,” Those who downplay, or jeer at the .243 have never hunted, or used one. Those that have, know the capabilities all too well!”

I know Bob has experience with people who have gone hunting with him that have used the wrong bullet weight in .243, and I have seen my fair share of nimrods that want to use a varmint weight bullet for everything. They can certainly do so, but then they will end up with catastrophic bullet failure for using it on the wrong game animals. Then they will cry, and gnash their teeth about it, and probably start hating the cartridge as well, even though it was their dumb idea to begin with, anyway.

The 100 gr and up bullets have always done me right.

Hawk

The Barnes 80gr TTSX is a WONDERFUL bullet that gives the flat shooting properties of a varmint weight bullet with the physical volume of a 105gr lead-core bullet. It opens correctly in animals in that 150lb-450lb range.

The .243 is so under appreciated. In an amateurs hands, it is a PERFECT weapon for antelope, all North American deer, bear, and cow elk.

In a master’s hands, neck or head shots for culling would allow it to easily take 1000lb animals with consistency.

I’ll never understand the desire to sh&t on the .243. While people will sneer at the notion of using it for various, reasonable applications, those same people wouldn’t say a darned thing if the shooter was using a $15,000 best-grade H&H in 240 Apex for the same applications. (Chital, Fallow, etc.).
@rookhawk
The reason I hang so much shit on the 243 is because so many muppets use the wrong bullet in it for the game hunted and have failures that I have had to clean up and they won't listen to reason. Plus it can't live up to winchesters advertising hype.
With the RIGHT projectiles it would be a reasonable cartridge within its capabilities problem is so many pick the wrong one and that gives it a bad rap.
An 85gn Barnes TTSX, 95gn SST or a good 100gn round nose it is a different story.

Their are a lot of naysayers that haven’t ever used a .243, and deride it as long as the day is long.

There’s an old saying,” Those who downplay, or jeer at the .243 have never hunted, or used one. Those that have, know the capabilities all too well!”

I know Bob has experience with people who have gone hunting with him that have used the wrong bullet weight in .243, and I have seen my fair share of nimrods that want to use a varmint weight bullet for everything. They can certainly do so, but then they will end up with catastrophic bullet failure for using it on the wrong game animals. Then they will cry, and gnash their teeth about it, and probably start hating the cartridge as well, even though it was their dumb idea to begin with, anyway.

The 100 gr and up bullets have always done me right.

Hawk

That’s true

@rdog
I very rarely venture into the plantation as the ex 243 owners are more than willing to do the work for a day or two whilst learning the virtues of the 25s, 35s and the 6.5x55 and how they have been duped for years buy advertising.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
True .

l've been watching this guy for quite a while and thought his 6mm br may be worth a mention in this discussion although not a 243 is still a 6mm projectile which is really what is being debated
he uses projectiles from 75gr up but l am sure he says he mainly uses the 80gr nosler bt
anyway the first vid is about the rifle and the second shows him knocking them NSW pigs with no problem and no special shots ect...
enjoy

Those little cartridges like the 6 mm PPC 6mm, BR 6.5 Grendel , 6x45 & others dreamed up by the bench rest shooters are very effective & efficient, low recoil low blast , &
are a joy to shoot but do not give much lee way for bad bullet placement & may be those 6mm light bullets do not blow up at those velocity,as they are slower than a 243 drives them, i once had a 6mm 223 it was amazing with 75 -80 grain bullets on pigs at night with good bullet placement. but with a big pissed off boar i would rather have a 308,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JannEarle

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois