The .22 Hornet in Africa?

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Geoclarkclark, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Geoclarkclark

Geoclarkclark AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Colo Bowhunters Assn, Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Mongolia, New Zealand, Spain, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, USA, Scotland, Argentina
    Planning to return to Africa in 2020 to hunt the remaining members of the 'Tiny Ten' I have yet to get-
    Oribi, Red Duiker, Suni, and Dik-Dik. Will travel to Namibia for the Dik-Dik, and Natal Province or Mozambique for the remaining three.

I plan to take along my very accurate CZ 527, .22 Hornet, as these little guys are very susceptible to hide damage from anything bigger. One or two of these may also be taken with shotgun, if conditions dictate.

Anyone have experience with the little Hornet on these critters?

2. Ernie Shipman

Ernie Shipman AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    The Church Universal & The Kingdom of Heaven
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    In the US I have shot alot of smaller critters with my CZ. It's actually my most favorite rifle - SUPER ACCURATE & VERY FUN to shoot!

3. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX
    What distances do you figure you will be shooting these critters and what bullets are you using?

4. Spooksar

Spooksar AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NFA ,CSSA NRA, CCFR
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Canada (BC, Alberta Nunavet) Texas, New Mexico
    I’m taking a 22 Hornet to Africa in May for Red Duiker and Sharps Grysbok. I’ll post a report on here.

Hogpatrol likes this.

5. Hogpatrol

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX
    No experience with the .22 Hornet but have killed steenbok, porcupine, gennet cat, caracal, springbok, warthog, white breasted crow, jackal and springhares with a .17 Fireball shooting Nagel and Kindler 25 to 30 grain bullets. Except for the springhares, hardly any pelt damage. Some had no exit wounds. I would surmise the .22 Hornet would have the same results.

6. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    I love the .22 Hornet. Mine has killed a number of coyotes. However, all of my African little guys were taken with 300 gr solids from a .375. Hide damage was limited to two .375 holes. While hunting Suni, I was also hunting Nyala. While hunting red duiker and Oribi, I was also hunting sable, waterbuck and eland. That is the major issue when using a small rifle for the little guys - a big fellow shows up. Where the .22 Hornet really shines is for night creatures like genets and civets.

Hogpatrol likes this.

7. ActionBob

ActionBob AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA life, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
    I just used a 22 Hornet on a Cape Greysbok last week. About as perfect as you can get for such critters.

Took duiker and steenbok a few years ago with my 375. I'd suggest taking the Hornet or a 375 with solids. And a 12 gauge OU.

8. Nkawu

Nkawu AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunting Shooting & Conservation
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Sweden
    What manufacturers offer the 22 hornet? Always been tempted by a Ruger no1!

9. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    I have a Ruger No 1 in .22 hornet. Wonderful rifle. I can’t tell you how many prairie dogs it accounted for during our years in Wyoming. I shoot 50 gr Speer TNT’s. I wouldn’t use that bullet on your safari, it is very explosive.

Hogpatrol likes this.

10. Hogpatrol

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX
    Savage, and they are making some very accurate rifles. Cooper makes them in .22 Hornet.

11. fsrmg1

fsrmg1 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA, NRA, BGRC, MMA
    Hunted:
    AK, US, AU, DE, CZ
    I've used the Hornet to shoot roe deer and feral goats. It does the job well as long as you do yours. I recommend using handloads with a good bullet.

For powder, I used a case filled with as much AA1680 as I could fit in it and the now discontinued Nosler 45 gr Solid Base designed specifically for the Hornet. I now also use H Lil'Gun powder and get equal or better performance without filling the case to the brim and compressing the powder so much.

Most likely, your rifle will give you two limitations. The overall cartridge length due to the magazine, and barrel twist rate.

You'll pretty much have to stick with bullets under 50 grains for best accuracy. If you do go with a 50 grainer, use a short flatbased one. It is also unlikely you'll get good results with the long Barnes TSX 45 gr.

My Sako with the 1-16 twist didn't shoot anything heavier than 45-46 grains for top accuracy and it was limited to standard length OAL due to the short magazine.

My Browning A-Bolt has a 24" custom 22 K-Hornet barrel on it with a 1-12 twist and has a magazine that allows the bullets to be seated to 1.89" OAL. She really likes Sierra 50gr Blitzkings and is capable of delivering 1/4 MOA accuracy.

Red Leg likes this.

12. Spooksar

Spooksar AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NFA ,CSSA NRA, CCFR
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Canada (BC, Alberta Nunavet) Texas, New Mexico
    I agree with you if your hunting mixed bag, but my hunt in May is for the 2 of the tiny hunt that are on the property. After that if there is time I will look at other animals. My second rifle will be a 300 WSM.

Hogpatrol likes this.

13. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    In Wally Johnson's book the Last Ivory Hunter that Capstick put together. Wally tells of a teenage boy who fired at a buffalo bull with a hornet and it fell dead in it's tracks! Bullet entered at the ear.

Hogpatrol and flat8 like this.

14. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    I used my .223 with Barnes bullets with great success on red duiker, cape grysbok, Val rhebok, and others in August. It worked so well on the Little’s and had no trouble with bushpig or springbok (12). A truly versatile set up.
    I think the hornet will likely tear them up so I can’t recommend it. I would go with .223 and Barnes bullets.
    Best of luck,
    Philip