The .22 Hornet in Africa?

Geoclarkclark

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, Colo Bowhunters Assn, Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Mongolia, New Zealand, Spain, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, USA, Scotland, Argentina
Planning to return to Africa in 2020 to hunt the remaining members of the 'Tiny Ten' I have yet to get-
Oribi, Red Duiker, Suni, and Dik-Dik. Will travel to Namibia for the Dik-Dik, and Natal Province or Mozambique for the remaining three.

I plan to take along my very accurate CZ 527, .22 Hornet, as these little guys are very susceptible to hide damage from anything bigger. One or two of these may also be taken with shotgun, if conditions dictate.

Anyone have experience with the little Hornet on these critters?

In the US I have shot alot of smaller critters with my CZ. It's actually my most favorite rifle - SUPER ACCURATE & VERY FUN to shoot!

Planning to return to Africa in 2020 to hunt the remaining members of the 'Tiny Ten' I have yet to get-
Oribi, Red Duiker, Suni, and Dik-Dik. Will travel to Namibia for the Dik-Dik, and Natal Province or Mozambique for the remaining three.

I plan to take along my very accurate CZ 527, .22 Hornet, as these little guys are very susceptible to hide damage from anything bigger. One or two of these may also be taken with shotgun, if conditions dictate.

What distances do you figure you will be shooting these critters and what bullets are you using?

I’m taking a 22 Hornet to Africa in May for Red Duiker and Sharps Grysbok. I’ll post a report on here.

No experience with the .22 Hornet but have killed steenbok, porcupine, gennet cat, caracal, springbok, warthog, white breasted crow, jackal and springhares with a .17 Fireball shooting Nagel and Kindler 25 to 30 grain bullets. Except for the springhares, hardly any pelt damage. Some had no exit wounds. I would surmise the .22 Hornet would have the same results.

I love the .22 Hornet. Mine has killed a number of coyotes. However, all of my African little guys were taken with 300 gr solids from a .375. Hide damage was limited to two .375 holes. While hunting Suni, I was also hunting Nyala. While hunting red duiker and Oribi, I was also hunting sable, waterbuck and eland. That is the major issue when using a small rifle for the little guys - a big fellow shows up. Where the .22 Hornet really shines is for night creatures like genets and civets.

I just used a 22 Hornet on a Cape Greysbok last week. About as perfect as you can get for such critters.

Took duiker and steenbok a few years ago with my 375. I'd suggest taking the Hornet or a 375 with solids. And a 12 gauge OU.

I have a Ruger No 1 in .22 hornet. Wonderful rifle. I can’t tell you how many prairie dogs it accounted for during our years in Wyoming. I shoot 50 gr Speer TNT’s. I wouldn’t use that bullet on your safari, it is very explosive.

What manufacturers offer the 22 hornet? Always been tempted by a Ruger no1!

Savage, and they are making some very accurate rifles. Cooper makes them in .22 Hornet.

I've used the Hornet to shoot roe deer and feral goats. It does the job well as long as you do yours. I recommend using handloads with a good bullet.

For powder, I used a case filled with as much AA1680 as I could fit in it and the now discontinued Nosler 45 gr Solid Base designed specifically for the Hornet. I now also use H Lil'Gun powder and get equal or better performance without filling the case to the brim and compressing the powder so much.

Most likely, your rifle will give you two limitations. The overall cartridge length due to the magazine, and barrel twist rate.

You'll pretty much have to stick with bullets under 50 grains for best accuracy. If you do go with a 50 grainer, use a short flatbased one. It is also unlikely you'll get good results with the long Barnes TSX 45 gr.

My Sako with the 1-16 twist didn't shoot anything heavier than 45-46 grains for top accuracy and it was limited to standard length OAL due to the short magazine.

My Browning A-Bolt has a 24" custom 22 K-Hornet barrel on it with a 1-12 twist and has a magazine that allows the bullets to be seated to 1.89" OAL. She really likes Sierra 50gr Blitzkings and is capable of delivering 1/4 MOA accuracy.

I love the .22 Hornet. Mine has killed a number of coyotes. However, all of my African little guys were taken with 300 gr solids from a .375. Hide damage was limited to two .375 holes. While hunting Suni, I was also hunting Nyala. While hunting red duiker and Oribi, I was also hunting sable, waterbuck and eland. That is the major issue when using a small rifle for the little guys - a big fellow shows up. Where the .22 Hornet really shines is for night creatures like genets and civets.

I agree with you if your hunting mixed bag, but my hunt in May is for the 2 of the tiny hunt that are on the property. After that if there is time I will look at other animals. My second rifle will be a 300 WSM.

In Wally Johnson's book the Last Ivory Hunter that Capstick put together. Wally tells of a teenage boy who fired at a buffalo bull with a hornet and it fell dead in it's tracks! Bullet entered at the ear.

I used my .223 with Barnes bullets with great success on red duiker, cape grysbok, Val rhebok, and others in August. It worked so well on the Little’s and had no trouble with bushpig or springbok (12). A truly versatile set up.
I think the hornet will likely tear them up so I can’t recommend it. I would go with .223 and Barnes bullets.
Best of luck,
Philip

Just make sure it is legal to use on what ever you plan on hunting with it...it is legal for up to Spring buck sized game in SA....great little caliber....

I love mine. Bullet selection will be critical!

The .22 Hornet is an extremely popular calibre here , in East Bengal . Especially for barking deer and mouse deer . I have absolutely no doubt that it would be quite excellent for Africa’s tiny ten .

As I have said in other threads about the 22 Hornet my son when he was considerably smaller used his ruger to shoot a lechwe and puku...lechwe dropped to shot and puku went about 20 yards ....I was very impressed as never had any experience with.the hornet before that....just thought it would be a good calibre for him at that age

In Wally Johnson's book the Last Ivory Hunter that Capstick put together. Wally tells of a teenage boy who fired at a buffalo bull with a hornet and it fell dead in it's tracks! Bullet entered at the ear.
@jeff
I remember reading the same story. The young fella was supposed to get some camp meat. When he showed dad what he shot daddy was not amused and he go one he'll of a talking to.
I got a great laugh out of it. Big white hunter needs a big double and junior drops one with one shot out of a 22 hornet thru thick scrub. He saw an ear flick and shot for there. Nice 22 c a l hole in the ear and one very dead cape buffalo.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg