thats why I dont like doubles (have one)

There so much factor can lead to a charge like that...
Shot place a couple of inches forward will probably just drop the buffalo. I always say the first shot count the most!

I know a lot of PH want their client to use a solide for bufflo, I can understand that I sow all kind of bullets failed, Barnes, swift A Frame, oryx and many more.

I'm bolt action fans I have always been using one for driven hunt, big game in Africa at a young age I stated shoting guinea fawl, rabbit, francolin. My dad who have guided for over 40 years ate double for different reason.
Mainly due to people don't practice enough with their double and also think don't use to open sight and think where ever they will shot the game will drop.

Like everything there good and bad side for double same for bolt action it's a big topic where we can write a pages.

The other thing is many time we go to quick after a buffalo wounded, it's not rare for me to wait several hours before start tracking. One of client told me last year I was the first PH to make him wait so long and he shot over 50 buffalos and the 5 one before that ended up by a charge.

The emotional side it's hard to handle specially in that kind of situation.

Choose a set up you comfortable with and train with it and use it before on non dangerous game.
Interesting points, I can understand your preference to use a bolt over a DB, but little surprised to know that some of the top bullets have failed. Were these due to user not able to place the shots where it should have been or something else?
Do you then recommend solids and if so why?

Interesting points, I can understand your preference to use a bolt over a DB, but little surprised to know that some of the top bullets have failed. Were these due to user not able to place the shots where it should have been or something else?
Do you then recommend solids and if so why?
It's most of the time not the user, I sow them didn't expended for different reason . I personally prefer full copper or bounded bullet. Solid can be good for certain type of vegetation like tall green grass with water stop faster an expending bullet.
I don't recommend non bounded if you for a bullet with lead.

AZDave, interesting about getting 5 quick shots from a Ruger #1. I read about a learner PH shoot testing with one and doing quite well with it. It reinforces the point concerning practise. To help train better for my .470 double rifle, I would only use my side by side shotgun for months when shotgunning.
No need to comment on the video as pretty much everything has been analyzed.

My observation is that each weapon system, (bolt, double, single shot, straight pull, and lever gun all have a different manual of arms. Practice with your rifle platform until you can do it moving in the dark! Muscle memory is king and once you have it ingrained it should be practiced daily the month before you go out on your safari. You owe it to yourself, the PH, tracker and most importantly the animal to be as proficient as possible. I can shoot a double faster for two shots than any other platform. Can shoot three shots faster with a bolt and lever than a double. can shoot a double 4 shots faster than the others. Back when I practiced all the time with my Ruger #1 I could shoot it faster for 5 shots than any of the above. (Out of practice now) have no experience with a modern straight pull so no evaluation on that platform.

So please concentrate on making that first shot count!!!!! then events and the will of the DG will dictate what the rest of the story will be.
AZDave, interesting about getting 5 quick shots from a Ruger #1. I read about a learner PH shoot testing with one and doing quite well with it. It reinforces the point concerning practise. To help train better for my .470 double rifle, I would only use my side by side shotgun for months when shotgunning.

Five quick shots with Ruger #1 ... standing and shooting at a paper target maybe. Try doing it while running from a buffalo or elephant. This to me is the most significant difference. It's nice to have two lightning fast shots. But what if, as in this video, the bull is still coming at close quarters? Moving out of the way while trying to reload a double rifle or single shot is gonna be hairy no matter how much one practices. Yes, I've seen the videos of guys rapid firing #1 with extra rounds bristling from between fingers. But are they running through brush with a 1700 lb animal in hot pursuit? No. Moving out of the way of a charging buffalo while cycling 3+ rounds through a bolt rifle is so easy even an untrained novice should have a reasonable probability of pulling it off.

The solid vs soft discussion is not quite so straight forward as many like to make it seem. Bullet performance at impact is only part of the equation. Depending upon what vegetation you are shooting through you are much less likely to have a significant deflection with a solid than a soft. Therefore, there are PHs who prefer solids based upon the high likelihood of shooting through brush. A soft deflected into a non vital area equals a wounded buffalo.

That's the story I had heard about! Didn't realize he held the record. If his reflexes are that practised then it should be automatic even under that extreme stress. A Zim PH showed me this charge video at SCI shortly before it was posted here. He uses a diuble in .470. He holds 2 rounds in his support hand for a fast reload. I couldn't do that. I would drop them under stress but I'm sure he would not.

I’m guessing the Zim PH exam would be extremely stressful. Years of preparation. Peers watching and grading.

Perhaps even more external pressure than a charging Buffalo. A Buffalo charge would be so fast. Pressure and stress haven’t caught up to you yet. That hits later. It’s all instinct at that moment.

Somewhere in Pierre van der Walt's book, 'African Dangerous Game Cartridges' - I think it is, I don't have my copy to hand - he makes the point that he has two sons, one of whom uses a double and the other a bolt-action rifle. The one who uses the double would have been killed had he had a bolt-action rifle in the hairy situation that he found himself in; and the one that uses a bolt-action would have been killed had he had a double rifle in his own moment critique.

Choose your guns and stick to them.....broken stocks, fireing pins etc are all possible....so is your plane crashing on the way there or back....

Choose your guns and stick to them.....broken stocks, fireing pins etc are all possible....so is your plane crashing on the way there or back....
You forgot about driving on African roads especially at night, and then there is “Stallion bus co.”

Lon

You forgot about driving on African roads especially at night, and then there is “Stallion bus co.”

Lon
If you consider all the shit that can go wrong some may just not step off the front porch.....shit happens deal with it as it does...

The Zim proficiency exam record is held by a 416 Rigby nr.1......
As I recall he had some special equipment to assist with reloading. Wasn't it something strapped to his arm?

I use a strap on my arm for my 500...trcj I learnt while spending time with Richard Harland.

1000034340.jpg

Or instead of choosing between a double and a bolt action take a double bolt action

Lon
My number 1 rule for Zim is not to drive at night outside of the cities. I'd rather overnight at Amanzi and then either drive or charter the following morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VaniaParkh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani