thats why I dont like doubles (have one)

Foxi

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Khomas HL and Omaheke/Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa/Zambia-,Gwayi/Zimbabwe/- + Save/Zimbabwe/- River. Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.

and a guest with a fix scope-thats dung.
Mount down your scope when you search a wounded buff.

Everything cannot be a one shot kill, things like that happen.

It is certainly advisable to use a rifle from which you can remove the scope, but the PH should also be armed with a big bore for backup. Does not seem to be the case here.

By the way, I would not have shot with the second buffalo behind.

It also highlights that the client should drill and drill and drill rapid fire until they can operate the rifle in a smart and swift manner.
Pisses me off when you can see the client hasnt put in practice on a DG hunt.

Im with @grand veneur on not taking the shot with the other buff behind

One of the best vids on a hunt I’ve seen in ages. Easily one of the best charge videos without the MS hype up “let it choose its outcome” BS.

And no, I don’t mean the quality of shooting etc. I just mean intensity.

What did the client apologise for? Charges happen?
Also was his first shot high or?

I am also for many reasons not a too big fan for using a DR for hunting in Africa nowadays, but meant for a client. For such a situation, a DR in the hands of a PH is well suited for backup.

A client who hunt buffalos for the first time can quickly be overwhelmed with such a situation, whether he can take off the scope of his rifle or not. That was so for us all at first. You have to do more than one buffalo hunt, have also make some mistake and seen those of others buffalo hunters in order to be able to assess some situations more clearly. It can happen to anyone, but it's embarrassing if it's caught on video.

I thought the one behind acted as if hit as well.

I don’t know how much the client practiced ahead of the hunt, maybe he put in his due diligence, maybe he didn’t. What I do know is that whether it’s a boar, bear, buffalo, or anything else that can hurt you back, the first time the shit hits the fan, all bets are off on how anyone will react.
Thankfully this one turned out ok without anyone getting hurt.

Yikes!

The one behind ducked down after the shot. Makes me think he was hit also which would mean there were two wounded buffs to deal with.
There is no exit wound in the frame when the buffalo passes. Just the first somewhat high shot but with a lot of lung blood coming out of the entry hole. I’ve shot 3 buffalo I’ve had no pass throughs with soft points. Shooting buffalo from a herd is a common practice and in some places like Mozambique delta the only option. I don’t understand the criticism except it’s easy to do after the fact.

I can say from experience that a TSX can pass through on a broadside shot.

With a proper 1x scope, the only advantage to switching to iron sights would be the minimal sight offset with the irons. Which doesn’t much matter if you don’t properly operate your bolt.

I still trying to figure out why nobody shot the buffalo while it was on its knees facing away. PH reloading and client shot over it perhaps?

and a guest with a fix scope-thats dung.
Mount down your scope when you search a wounded buff.
I really can’t understand the criticism of some videos or the praise of others. It seems the first post sets the tone. I really don’t see anything done wrong. It wasn’t a picture perfect end to a charge, but no one was hurt and everyone kept their composure. It could have easily resulted in something much more serious. As far the scope on follow up. I can’t see the difference of a scope on 2 power or open sights except when the buffalo breaks at 50 yards and runs you have a much higher likelihood of getting a good second shot in. It appears in this video the clients shot connected after it passed the PH slowing the buffalo down. As far as the bolt operation by the client, no one knows how they will act until they are in that situation. He put a fairly good first shot in. That’s his primary job. I like watching hunting videos on YouTube but I’m surprised many get put up when hunters critique and criticize every aspect of them. I’ve been guilty of it too. Some videos I think are deserving of it, but I don’t think this one is.

Last edited:
I can say from experience that a TSX can pass through on a broadside shot.

With a proper 1x scope, the only advantage to switching to iron sights would be the minimal sight offset with the irons. Which doesn’t much matter if you don’t properly operate your bolt.

I still trying to figure out why nobody shot the buffalo while it was in its knees facing away. PH reloading and client shot over it perhaps?
I was advised not to use TSX for that reason. I’ve killed buffalo with swift A frame, trophy bonded bear claw, and non-bonded federal soft points. No pass throughs. Obviously ideal to wait if possible but shooting from herds is common practice many areas.

I shot more than 10 buffalos before things went wrong , and it was just the beginning, the next problem came after a few more buffalos. How much more I hunted buffalos and how much more I had in mind what could happen if something goes wrong. In addition, in all cases in West Africa, different than in East and South Africa, I had no backup and that for more than 15 buffalo hunts.

GV,

what rifle, cartridge, and bullet do you now use and recommend?

During my time in West Africa, I took advantage of the opportunity to accompany other hunters on buffalo hunts. This also helps a lot for personal experience, especially if things don't always go as planned and that happened.

First off, Nobody got hurt . The PH fulfilled duties and his part of the contract. Yes IMHO the initial shot was a bit high. I don't think anyone can be certain on the PH's rifle calibre.
The client got his moneys worth and more. And a story that will last him for a lifetime.
I hope that the PH and his trackers etc were tipped well at the end of the day.
And I'm sure that there were doubles at sundown

GV,

what rifle, cartridge, and bullet do you now use and recommend?

I don't want to let the topic end up in a caliber discussion because the majority don't agree with me. In principle, I would recommend that anyone who wants to hunt big game in Africa to start with a rifle of at least caliber 416 or similar, but I apologize that, by respect to the topic, I want not write more about it.

I'd be curious to know if the client was using solids or premium grade expanding bullets ? It seems like he was using solids in the video ?

Cape buffalo do sometimes tend to soak up a lot of lead, if shot with non expanding bullets under .458 caliber.

The only thing I see badly wrong in this video is that it seemed to take the PH hell's own time to reload. Not that I would be quicker, but I would if I did it for a living.
And that first shit DID look a bit high.
And just a question, why not shoot to break the shoulder? We're not on a meat hunt here.

Client seemed to have issues cycling a round into chamber, not sure exactly why. Hell of a video !
everyone has problems with reloading.
Half a second slower and the PH would have heard the angels singing.
The buffalo is capital and the cameraman deserves the Medal of Honour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdetteBlam

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you