Tell me why buying a Rifle chambered in 6MM Remington is stupid

The 6mm Remington is a wonderful cartridge. It's a terrific varmint round and great for deer sized game. I purchased a Mauser 96 action and built a 6mmAI off of it with a heavy barrel. With a 1-12 twist it's perfect for varmints out to 600-800 yards. I also have a 6mm Remington that I've taken a number of white tails with.

I personally think the cartridge is underrated.

I have two 6mm Remington's one is a Remington 700 Varmint and the other is a Ruger #1B. I've used both on pronghorn with 100gr Sierra Game Kings. 44.0gr's IMR4350, Fed 210@2.825" oal:D Beers:

But you could be part of the 6.5 Creedmore craze! :A Banana Sad:
@PHEONIX PHIL
I don't know about others but I'm a hunter not a sheep. The crudmore crowd are only doing what the 6.5x55 Swede has been doing for the last 100 years.
The 6mm Remington is a great cartridge and even better in the AI version. Comes close to the 240 weatherby.
Only problem I see is it's still a 6mm and won't do half the stuff a good 25/06 will do..
The 6mm Remington is far superior to the 243 Winchester in every way you can think, and If'n y'all don't like it you can neck the case up to the 257 Roberts or 7mm Mauser.
Bob

If you want a 6mm by all means get one, if you need a 6mm don't do it, buy a .270 you'll be happier and a lot more versatile.
@Art Lambert 11
Forget the 270 Art and get a 25 ought six. Best of both worlds. Does everything the 6mms do and more as well as horribly close to the 270 with 130 grainers.
Bob
I do like the 25s and 35s.

@Rob 404
Give me a 25 over a 6MM any day. My 25 launches a100 grain TTSX @ over 3,600fps. Absolutely great.
Let's see a 6mm do that.
Bob
It won't, but with 44.0grs of powder I can get a 100gr bullet in 6mm Rem going 3200fps. How many grains will it take for your 25-06 to get there. I think thats a little like comparing apples and oranges. They're both sweet. :sneaky:

The main choice I'd make on any of these medium capacity 6 - 6.5 bore rifles is the rifling twist rate. I'd prefer a twist that was fast enough to stabilize the long high BC bullets now available. Rifles for the Creedmoor have that twist which is the main reason that I see to prefer it to others that are standard with the 1-10 or 1-12" twists.

To summarize and be Devil's advocate: It usually takes a long action, instead of the compact little action for the 243 and 6mm Hole, Gives little velocity advantage over them, Can't get the brass and if you make it from the Parent 7X57 you have to neck ream which is a pain, and why Remington put the 12 twist in the original ones was surprising at the least. Could not use 100 grain bullets in the old ones. I hunted for 20 years with a friend who used one. I used the 243. He regretted his choice every time I loaded the old 105 grain Speer.....So, ya........go for it................FWB

It won't, but with 44.0grs of powder I can get a 100gr bullet in 6mm Rem going 3200fps. How many grains will it take for your 25-06 to get there. I think thats a little like comparing apples and oranges. They're both sweet. :sneaky:
@dchamp
Mate my 25 is my own design and takes 58 grains of superformance to get that speed but with a 115grain nosler combined technology silver tip or a 117grain SST it gets 3,370 fps with 55grains of the same powder.
The 6mm can't do that.
Bob

@dchamp
The 6mm is a sweet cartridge. Remington didn't cripple it with a 1 in 12 twist hunters did. Oh wow is me my 6mm won't stabilize 100 grain projectiles but the little 243 will so it Must be better.. What the failed to realize it would stabilize the 95 grainers. I don't think 5 grains of projectile weight will make a difference to game. The Remington will drive a 95 grain faster than the 243.
As I said the 6mRemington is a fine cartridge but the thought of shooting a 243 is akin to eating crab apples and lemons. Leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.
Bob

I have the 244 and 6mm just different twists.

If I am killing animals for meat I go out of my way to skull or neck them as to not waste meat and have found that the 6mm doesn't take the whole head off like the 25 06 or the 264 wm does on ocassion.

What ruined the popularity of the 244 was the wrong twist to start with and winchester came out with one that would stabilize 100 grain or better bullets. In an attempt to save a great round Remington changed the name to the 6mm, but it was too late as the older gang still believing that all bullets in that round blew up on blades of grass. The 243 won out and the 6mm died off.

The 264 winchester had a hell of a following back then and as a payback remington put out the 7mm mag which that along with some creative back stabbing and mudslinging really dented the 264's popularity. Load both with the same grain bullet and see which one works better.

Everyone's good friend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen is pretty sure of what he likes and with that I believe he's pretty hot with the iron though I can't really figure out his dislike of the 243 as an loaded with as same weight bullet as speed an as as an kina as same.

It's all good....

I have the 244 and 6mm just different twists.

If I am killing animals for meat I go out of my way to skull or neck them as to not waste meat and have found that the 6mm doesn't take the whole head off like the 25 06 or the 264 wm does on ocassion.

What ruined the popularity of the 244 was the wrong twist to start with and winchester came out with one that would stabilize 100 grain or better bullets. In an attempt to save a great round Remington changed the name to the 6mm, but it was too late as the older gang still believing that all bullets in that round blew up on blades of grass. The 243 won out and the 6mm died off.

The 264 winchester had a hell of a following back then and as a payback remington put out the 7mm mag which that along with some creative back stabbing and mudslinging really dented the 264's popularity. Load both with the same grain bullet and see which one works better.

Everyone's good friend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen is pretty sure of what he likes and with that I believe he's pretty hot with the iron though I can't really figure out his dislike of the 243 as an loaded with as same weight bullet as speed an as as an kina as same.

It's all good....
@Von S
I've seem to many people use the 243 with the wrong bullet on game and end up with wounded game that I have had to finish off. If they loaded a good game bullet like the SSTs or a good 100 grain it would be a different story,but no the 87grain VMax gives me the best speed and accuracy so I will use that. Some people don't listen to reason.
I have helped mates work up loads for their 243s with the 87grain VMax and the best velocity we could get out of their 22inch barrel was 2,890fps and that was with a max load of H4350/adi2209. 100 grain projectiles the best we could do was 2,800fps. Pretty dismal really. The old 250 savage could do better than that.
I rest my case against the 243.
Bob

My 25 launches a100 grain TTSX @ over 3,600fps. Absolutely great.
Let's see a 6mm do that.
Bob, I can't say with absolute 100% certainty, but I'm almost positive that I used to load my 6mm to 3600fps with 100gr boat tails. I do know that you could buy factory ammo that shoots 100gr SPBT @3250, and you could expect more with hand loading.

Bob N.......the velocities you quote are almost exactly what I got with my 243.......quite a bit below many advertised loads.......in fact, it killed deer and antelope so well I thought it was blistering fast.....but when I got my first chronograph, my load of IMR 4350 driving a 105 grainer was about 2680, and a 100 grainer was 2780. ....so I see your point...........................FWB

Bob, I can't say with absolute 100% certainty, but I'm almost positive that I used to load my 6mm to 3600fps with 100gr boat tails. I do know that you could buy factory ammo that shoots 100gr SPBT @3250, and you could expect more with hand loading.
@Cam Moon.
Cam If'n you were getting those speeds out of a,6mm Remington your really pushing it way way way beyond its limits. The 240 weatherby won't even do that.
Bob.

I never put it through a Chrono, but it was the numbers published in a Speer Reloading book.
As far as factory ammo @ 3250 it was a Hornady Interlock. (Again, manufacturer's numbers)
I totally agree with you on people not using proper bullets though! V-max or A-max for anything other than varmints.... Clearly not thinking!
I've had really good luck with 100gr Sierra's. I absolutely LOVE the 6mm. I couldn't even begin to tell you what I've taken with mine! (Ruger M77) But a part of that may be that I'm a bit of a recoil pansy! I'm using a .270 right now more than anything.

I never put it through a Chrono, but it was the numbers published in a Speer Reloading book.
As far as factory ammo @ 3250 it was a Hornady Interlock. (Again, manufacturer's numbers)
I totally agree with you on people not using proper bullets though! V-max or A-max for anything other than varmints.... Clearly not thinking!
I've had really good luck with 100gr Sierra's. I absolutely LOVE the 6mm. I couldn't even begin to tell you what I've taken with mine! (Ruger M77) But a part of that may be that I'm a bit of a recoil pansy! I'm using a .270 right now more than anything.
@Cam Moon
The 6mm Remington eats the little 243 for breakfast. A good 100 grainer in the 6mm at even 3,100fps would be deadly medicine for game up to I would say250 to 300 pounds.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg