Taxidermy woes

One problem with boiling skulls is that even if done properly they can break apart, it is just something that can happen.

One other thing is that boiling is just a term that is used, you should never boil a skull but let it simmer below a boil. A boil will possibly cause more damage to the skull due to the boiling effect. A simmer will just let it sit there as it cooks the meat off.

If you are doing it yourself at home and you have understanding neighbors it is best to just let the skull sit in water for a few weeks. The meat and everything else will come off of the skull and the results will be the same as boiling but the smell is something else as the meat rots off. Also to get the best results or whitest bone you need to degrease it. Some use Dawn dish washing soap and others will place the skull into a bucket filled with acetone to get all the grease out. The yellowing of a skull is just natural if you don't get all the oils out of it and happens over time.

I had a water buck over boiled by Capricorn Taxidermy, all other skulls were done well. There were three water buck and only one was damaged so I believe that it's a quality control issue. Have also been told that delays can be expected if the dip and pack isn't done in the same province as the animal was taken in as there is extra delays in permits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!