Taxidermy: Africa vs U.K (or States)

wildfowler.250

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi guys,

What’s you general experiences with taxidermy after a hunt? I like the look of highveld taxidermy but am I better to get the skins sent home and have the work done more locally? Especially if something goes wrong?

Are taxidermists in Africa good at relaying emails ect on how you’d like the mounts done? Or is it a bit of a pay your money and take your choice?

Suggestions / experience welcome!

Thanks

Many on here will tell you that you absolutely cannot get good work done in Africa, but I disagree

My local taxidermist here in Australia actually told me to get mine done there, stating "you wouldn't give a red deer to an African taxidermist, as he would barely ever see one, so how will he make it look right, but he will do a dozen African animals a week, so hell know how to make them look natural" suggesting he would be better at the local game we have than the African taxidermist, but the African guy would be better at the African stuff

I had my animals done my Christiaan at Ingwe, and both Christiaan and his wife Silke were excellent at communication, I got multiple update photos, including of the forms prior to the skin going on to ensure I was happy with the forms. My mounts are terrific, as good as any I've ever seen, I could not be happier with them. They will without a doubt get my animals next time I'm there.

There are rubbish taxidermist in Africa, just as there are rubbish taxidermists in Australia, the US, and all around the world.

Ask your outfitter for honest opinions, and also try to find blokes who have used them before for first hand experiences of their work.

You might try the search button for hundreds of pages on the topic :LOL:

NW9- I disagree with your taxis rationale :rolleyes:

Northwest I sadly disagree, Just because someone lives in a country where the animal lives has NO BEARING on the artist ability to understand Reference material, Anatomy or his or hers artistic ability. Sorry that argument doesn't hold water, If that were the case all african taxidermy animals mounted in Africa would be fabulous. Not the case.

that was simply his opinion of his ability to create perfect african taxidermy

I had mine done in Namibia and they are sensational. many on here say thats not possible

I know the studio you get yours done at, Fairly decent work for African production facility. I can count on my hands decent studio's on the whole african continent. Even a blind squirrel finds nut once and a while. If you hunting that area you could use them. My work is more highly detailed in my view, They are still a large production studio. They do thousands and thousands of pieces and lots of people mount there. In my studio MY HANDS are on EVERY PIECE, EVERYDAY. My Quality control.

I am all for having the taxidermy done close to home i.e in the country where you live. If something goes bad or does not turn out the way you want it at least you have some reasonable recourse. my 2c...

Thanks guys, it’s certainly food for thought and for me the last part of the puzzle costing it all together so looking at options.

I have to say there’s not been many I’ve been stunned by in SA so far for taxidermy. Highveld look good but what you get and what makes their website could be totally different.

I’m currently even considering sending dip and pack to the states for mounting; then send the mounts home to the U.K. Not sure if this will incur me a huge extra cost or not? Shipment of trophies might be similar as getting them sent from Africa? Maybe “just” an extra grand to get the skins sent state side?

Any ideas / recommendations hugely welcome!

Heated and much debated topic. As for one who had two pieces done there I will tell you never again I don’t care what anyone says. You must understand the chance you are taking. IMO not worth the risk. Good luck.

You won’t get competition quality done in Africa that for sure. The prices and wait times in the US are getting ridiculous IMO. It’s all up to you but in some cases you can get African taxidermy done in 1/2 the total time. More to come!
Philip

Africa is a craps shot IMO. Even in the same facility because most are production lines.

Okay guys decision made.

Any U.K. taxidermists anyone could recommend? Quality doesn’t seem to be the same as the states :(

I know the studio you get yours done at, Fairly decent work for African production facility. I can count on my hands decent studio's on the whole african continent. Even a blind squirrel finds nut once and a while. If you hunting that area you could use them. My work is more highly detailed in my view, They are still a large production studio. They do thousands and thousands of pieces and lots of people mount there. In my studio MY HANDS are on EVERY PIECE, EVERYDAY. My Quality control.
Nonsense, you have never been at our studio (Ingwe Wildlife Art), you have no idea how our shop works, you obviously have even less of an idea how many taxidermists we have OR how many mounts we produce yearly. So stop it already. I can understand if you generalize about African taxidermy work being poor (tend to agree) but pretending to know our place and discrediting our shop when you have never even set a foot there!?

Last edited:
There are shops out there to do good work! Biggest issue is the HUNTERS not doin there homework! They ask 50 outfits 100s of questions but when it comes to the final product they skimp on the cheapest or take to the outfitters suggestion(probably bc of a kick back) do ur homework all the way through the process! Same goes for shipping! You dont have to use whoever some suggests!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 4.26.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 4.26.52 PM.png
    8.2 MB · Views: 206
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 4.26.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 4.26.54 PM.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 227
Dang Wsheltonj , I want to do an elephant like that. WOW

Yeh , but getting a client that wants that would-be tough LOL
Thanks for the Compliment !!! I know my work hangs on your walls and you look at every day.
Makes me happy to know it's there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg